Which Heart Rate Monitor do you wear and what device or software do you use it with?

Options
mikeyrs
mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
I need to wear an HRM to monitor that I stay below my maximum heart rate. I personally dislike chest strap HRMs because unless the chest strap is taught, it can be jarred loose. If the HRM strap is overly tight, it can also trigger a sudden Asthma attack. So, I currently wear a Scosche Rythm+ BLE / Ant+ strap on my right arm either on my forearm or bicep in line with my Garmin Vivoactive. If offers me the most comfort and data connectivity, and I've yet to have the signal drop.

What do you wear and recommend? Why is that product the best solution for you? Are you considering any alternative to measuring heart rate for calorie calculations or other performance data calculations? Recommendations welcome!

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I currently use an age-old Polar F11 monitor which includes the chest strap transmitter and water receiver.

It is old technology, but it is still working strong, has a lot of features (for its age) and it seems to me that it is very accurate and has some programability.

It's pre-bluetooth. Heck, I think it's even pre-wifi. The system it uses (audible beeps and crackles, like dial-up internet) is obsolete so there is no way I could possibly ever sync it with anything. I just use it for heart rate zone training.

I use RidewithGPS for my GPS tracking. I intend to get a Wahoo computer for monitoring my progress and for directions (I'm more interested in cycling for transport and for touring than for sport) and I intend on getting a bluetooth strap one day so I can connect it to my smartphone. I also want to get a cadence monitor because that's more important to me than anything while touring.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use a soft Garmin HR strap and a Garmin Edge 500. I don't have to worry about it being too tight or too lose as it goes under my sports bra which keeps it up.

I realize that doesn't apply to you at all. Sorry. Well, unless you want to start wearing a sports bra on rides.
  • mikeyrs
    Options
    Which sports bra do you recommend? My wife wants to know!?! .... lol
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Bras are the secret, huh? I use the same soft strap Garmin and once the wind starts flapping my jersey against it, it goes bonkers. My max HR is around 174, and on windy days or long downhills I have seen the Garmin spike up to 220 (I wish!). Wetting it, washing it, rinsing it in distilled water, electrode gels, Static Guard spray, all these things I have tried but they only help for a while. I wrote Garmin and they sent me a whole new unit with a strap and it still sucks.

Sports Bra must keep it safe from the wind...tempting...but probably not ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Use two different ones for different training....

Polar FT60 (allows custom settings for VO2 max and max HR).
    Garmin Edge 800 trip computer linked to a soft strap.

Both chest straps though. Garmin strap is the more comfortable.

Polar is much better for calorie estimates (Garmin is hopeless for that). Polar less reliable for HR at times and seems to go through random spells of losing signal or working perfectly. Garmin has been 100% reliable for HR.

Purely for cycling and HR would recommend the Garmin, if you also want to use for gym training and calorie estimates then would go for the Polar

BTW
    I only wear a sports bra at the weekend when Simon becomes Simone... Isn't that why cyclists shave their legs? :wink:
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use a Garmin Edge 510 with a couple of the old(er)-skool Garmin hard straps. These are the ones with the wide plastic strap in the center. They are bullet-proof, work great as long as you moisten the electrodes when you put 'em on, and the only time I've ever had problems with them moving is when I lost enough weight that I've had to readjust the strap length.

For software, I use Garmin Connect, Strava, Training Peaks, and Golden Cheetah. GC is my primary data repository and link point, as it pushes data out to both Strava and Training Peaks. I use Strava primarily for the social aspect and segments. Training Peaks is mostly just there to allow my coach easy access to my data. Golden Cheetah is my main analysis platform and local data repository.

That all sounds complicated but it's not really. When I finish a ride, my Garmin automatically uploads to Garmin Connect through my phone. Strava and Training Peaks both populate automatically from Garmin Connect, and Golden Cheetah has a one-click sync with Training Peaks, usually performed when I sit down to analyze data.

Yes, I'm both a geek and a data junky. :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've used Garmin and Suunto... both worked well and I'd recommend both.
  • mikeyrs
    Options
    I started with a Polar FT7 and its standard Polar HRM, so it served as a standalone device. I then upgraded to the Polar H7 BLE when I began going to the gym and subsequently transitioned to a fitness APP (Digifit iCardio). Later, I tried the Garmin HRM sold with the standard Edge bundle. Now, I wear the Scosche Rythm+ on my arm because it's so much more convenient to put on anywhere compared to a chest strap and it's simultaneously compatible with my preferred cycling App, dedicated bike computers, and multiple Garmin devices of all kinds (including my Vivofit, Vivoactive, Edge, etc.). I truly believe I'm less prone to sudden Asthma attacks during high output activities without the strap around my chest.
  • Davide0910
    Davide0910 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What are the Garmin soft strap ones like? I use the old full plastic one and it sometimes slides down especially at the beginning of a run. Looks pretty stupid trying to pull it up and tighten mid-run!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500 with the pro strap. Comfy for miles and miles. Software is Garmin Connect which is linked to Strava and Training Peaks.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Mostly I use the Garmin 800 head unit for recording my rides, On the Roadbike (or the 'cross bike in winter, when I mothball the flash carbon kit...) where I've got the powermeter fitted, I either use the MioLink optical wristband HR sensor or (if I've forgotten to charge the Mio / think I may be out for more than the 8 hour battery life will cover - say for a 2-3 day trip without charging facilities) then I use the Garmin premium strap (that's the one with the grey-tweedy kind of looking strap)

However, for rides on the Mountain Bike, or for the 'crosser if the power meter isn't fitted, then I'll use a Powercal HR/Pseudopowermeter belt.

Software, once again is the Garmin Express Downloader, which simply connects to the Edge 800 as soon as it's plugged in, downloads any files, and propagates to Strava, TrainingPeaks and MFP. I also once a week or so import my files to GoldenCheetah and Sportstracks (the PC based, rather than the web service version)

At the end of each month, I also "backup" my Garmin 800 to the PC - basically, a complete copy of the whole Garmin, but with month/year subdirectories within the "activities" folder. That way, if anything goes wrong on the Garmin when I add any of the firmware updates (admittedly, not a problem much now that Garmin have pretty much given up on the 800...) I can always "nuke it from orbit" and start again with all my settings/customisations in place.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Davide0910 wrote: »
    What are the Garmin soft strap ones like? I use the old full plastic one and it sometimes slides down especially at the beginning of a run. Looks pretty stupid trying to pull it up and tighten mid-run!

@Davide0910
    I find it really comfortable and doesn't shift at all, much less intrusive than the Polar strap. Wore it for over eight hours yesterday and didn't even think about it.

But I only use it for cycling, I don't run unless being chased. :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Davide0910 wrote: »

It's pretty comfortable... no problems with it staying in place when running or biking, though it does slide down a bit when I jump (basketball or more aggressive trail running). Not really a big deal for me, though... I'd rather have wider lats and deal with the sliding.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just went back to hard strap, cycleops, from bontrager soft strap. The soft strap work well for the first year but then started having problems like spikes, drops, and the ever annoying refuse to pickup at start (sometimes lasting over ten minutes). Tried everything except for changing straps and nothing worked. Went back to hard strap because my old Kurt Kinetics and Polar was indestructible (brought new because they are on private channels).

I use GC for store and analysis and upload to Strava (social) and Endomondo. Endo synchronize to MFP. I use IpBike to capture ride stats and recently started tracking my walk stats replacing Endo (but probably continue to use Endo for synch). For calorie count I use IpBike's VP but just ordered a Stages. Walk will continue to be derived from VP.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Mio Link for the HRM and a Garmin 510 for my bike computer. I had a Mio Alpha 2 but I gave it away when I got my Garmin 910x for hiking and XC skiing. I've compared the Mio HR monitor to my Wahoo fitness and Polar H7 chest straps and it was as accurate but didn't need the sweat to make contact so it's almost instant on and it reads in heat, cold, dry or wet. I like it a lot!
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Garmin 910XT, with Garmin Connect to down load. Usually really good...sometimes the HR sensor goes a little nuts.
  • oldbikegirl
    oldbikegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the HR strap that goes with my Blackburn bike computer. It occasionally picks up stray signals from the environment I ride in. It also picks up my husbands HR signal when we ride close together. I'm upgrading to a bluetooth strap to use with my phone. I use electrode gel and it works very well.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Polar F6. No issues with strap.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Fitbit charge HR and I love it.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Garmin hard strap with Endomondo for mtb'ing.