Setting Realistic Goals

Options
cleblanc601
cleblanc601 Posts: 15 Member
I had a conversation the other day and someone asked me how much weight I wanted to loose before my wedding. They were shocked when I said 30 lbs when my total overall goal was 85 lbs. "Why wouldn't you try to loose all 85 lbs?" they asked me. My answer, to me, was very simple.

If I try and loose all 85 lbs by the time I get married, I'm going to go insane!! Let's not forget that planning a wedding is supposed to be enjoyable, but anyone that has done it knows that it can also stress you out and the closer it gets, the busier you get. My thought, is that if I try and loose 30 lbs, my goal is that much more attainable and I will be SO HAPPY when that happens. If I loose more than 30 lbs, that's awesome too and would only make me feel even better.

I know a lot of people who are trying to loose weight and use weight loss supplements, 30-day cleanses, fad diets, and a bunch of other things, all of which is fantastic. Those have never worked for me so I am trying to change my life style and the choices I make, which can take more time.

So far I'm down 10 lbs and have made some significant changes to my eating habits. This next month I would like to try and focus on becoming more active and then, I'll hopefully learn more and find other things to help me alter my lifestyle.

This post ended up being longer than intended, but I honestly believe that by taking my time, setting realistic goals, and make changes for the long run will benefit me more.

How are you guys trying to reach your goals?

Replies

• Tailgater75
    Tailgater75 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I guess the whole weight loss thing started for me when I gave up pop for Lent. Once I kicked that habit, I wondered what else I could give up to maybe improve my health. I then decided I wasn't going to eat any more fast food hamburgers until after my friends wedding, so now it has been over a month since I've had one. Then after starting to go for walks with the wife, she stumbled on MFP and showed me. I thought the app looked really interesting and it would be a great way to keep track on my calories. (My doctor suggested only eating a little over 1000 calories a day and the weight would fall off, months ago). This app have given me the ability to do it and I'm starting to see the results now.

So my now reachable goal is to be down to 220 for the wedding, then hopefully 190 by Christmas. I'd like to stay between 180-190.

With the results I've seen in myself so far, I don't think I will ever let go of MFP. Even when I reach my final goal, I'm going adjust my settings to maintain my weight. I'm committing myself to this app for life now! :D