After the bad...

valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
Hi all,

The last time I posted was earlier this year when I had had a disastrous experience running my first half marathon of the year, I got over anxious at mile ten started to walk and was picked up by a lovely stranger who literally talked and coaxed me over the next three miles. My time was ok, but I was completely despondent and roared and cried once I finished in a heap.

Cue panicked post here - what had I done wrong????

As ever I had lovely reassuring messages that these things do happen. Doug and a few others were good enough to look at my splits and point out where I had gone wrong ( being greedy early on) and giving me advice on how to address the issues.

The following week I went out and did another half, completely different experience crossed the line tired but happy with a pb under my belt. Then did a really tough trail half, then banged out a really enjoyable 10k another pb but more importantly a strong happy finish with no tears.

Three weeks ago I did the Newry half marathon - it was great, negative split really banged out the last few miles got home in 1.52 puffed smiling with a 4 min pb.

If I hadn't had the advice and encouragement here I don't know if I would have had it in me to go out and try again. I'm so glad I did.

So continuing with the roll I did my second marathon over the weekend!

I didn't have time to post here beforehand, no point asking was it wise it most definately was not - I moved house Friday and ran my first trail marathon on Saturday.

It was a fantastic day - the Mourne Way in Co. Down two hrs longer than my only other marathon I took 6 hrs 30 mins which was 2 hrs longer than my other flat road marathon last year. The conditions were seriously tough at some stages with of course our lovely Irish weather gale force winds and rain , I was literally on my hands and knees getting through bogs and scrambling through gorse. I loved every second of it and finished strong. The last four miles were downhill and I booted it to the finish feeling great.

So anyone who has had a bad race or run recently, don't panic it gets better :)

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Valentine, thanks for your success story! Great to hear that you overcame your initial problems! Best of luck for future races.
    Stef.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Great story and congrats on your successes! I had a bad half early in the year (serious nausea with 2 miles left and missed a wanted PR). Used it as motivation to train better (figure out when to fuel my picky stomach) and PR'd the next half, and have run another plus a 25km since and felt strong on those. It's amazing what you can learn from a "bad" race.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    It's amazing what you can learn from a "bad" race.

I agree. Way to get right back at it and prevail ladies!

• goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 181 Member
    I felt like everything that could have gone wrong for my first full did!
    The breakfast that I brought with me froze in the hotel fridge overnight, temps were in the high 70s with humidity 80%+. I did great until mile 13 then my stomach got queasy. At mile 18 my quads started to cramp and then at mile 21, I couldn't run any further so I walked the last 5 miles.
    On the plus side, I FINISHED! I am currently starting to train for another full in October that is closer to home.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,235 MFP Moderator
    Ah, thanks Valentine. I sprained my ankle at mile 4 of my first attempt at a half marathon in March... It was a trail run, and I had no business trying to do a 13 mile trail run... plus my training was fraught with injuries, so I shouldn't have even attempted it. But it was my first attempt, and I really didn't want to 'wimp out'. I'm back to running injury free now, but haven't been brave enough to schedule another half (definitely going with a road race next time). You make me want to try again. Congrats on 'getting it done' and doing great! :flowerforyou: