bloated

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Past one month I am having a combination of vegetables cooked (except for carrot and cucumber) , meat/chicken/fish, egg and fruits for breakfast , lunch and dinner but my body is bloated and filled with gases.

have been drinking 10 glasses of water but still the bloat is not going . where am I going wrong?

Note - have been following whole30 diet

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Some people have those type of reactions to vegetables in general... I don't have that particular program, so I don't really know...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's often an issue with insoluble fiber in general. Try dropping the more fibrous vegetables and see if your bloating issues improve. Leafy green vegetables are high in insoluble fiber, so that might be a good place to start.
  • jmzz1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss this program is a stricter version of paleo

@ dragonwolf - I do hve rich fibrous vegetables occasionally like green veggies and cabbage. Most frequently I hve eggplant, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers and some indian vegetables

can I introduce some rice to reduce bloating?
    Does beef cause bloating
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Everyone's body is different, so there is no telling what will cause bloating in your particular system versus someone else's. I would suggest a probiotic or taking beano or something similar before high fiber veggie meals - or simethicone after if you bloat? Otherwise, I'd do elimination to determine which veggie or veggies are the culprit. Remove one item for a week, or all the high fiber ones, then add one back in, if no problems after a few days of that one, add another, etc.

And I'm sorry my quick answer wasn't clear above - I've familiar with the general ideas of the Whole30 diet, I just don't have personal experience with it. Right before I dropped my carbs and went low carb, high fat, moderate protein at my endocrinologist's behest, I had a lot of bloating issues that were very uncomfortable. I mainly dealt with in with beano... I wish I could afford a good probiotic. I just need to figure out how to work more fermented items into my daily diet!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This sounds really similar to what I experienced. I got *really* bloated when eating grain products. But I got almost as equally bloated when eating a lot of vegetables on a diet similar to Whole 30. Leafy greens & squashes don't seem to bother me. I think it is a reaction to the type of fiber for me. It got a little bit better when I added in probiotics, but still wasn't fabulous. I couldn't take Beano for the bloat because I'm one of the lucky people that it makes nauseous.

I've been on a Low Carb High Fat diet for about 4 weeks now (at doctor's recommendations), and feel amazing. It still feels weird to have my non-leafy vegetable intake drop that much lower, I currently only have 1-2 non-leaf/green veggies a day & hardly any fruit...but it's also nice not to have a hard, bloated tummy that makes people wonder if I'm preggars :-).
  • jmzz1
    Options
    HOW and WHEN should I take a probiotic?
    Does anyone have idea about yakult probiotic?

Any natural food items rich in probiotic?
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I always took mine once a day on an empty stomach (normally about an hour before I had my morning protein smoothie).

This was a recent/good study comparing a lot of the top-selling brands of probiotics. I take/took the NOW Foods one listed (Ranked 2nd in Quality, Ranked 3rd in Value) https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics

Just remember if you buy probiotics, they are best kept in the fridge to keep the little dudes alive/active.

As far as natural sources: yogurt, kefir, UNPASTURIZED saurkraut/kimchi, kombucha...just to name a few.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    jmzz1 wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss this program is a stricter version of paleo

@ dragonwolf - I do hve rich fibrous vegetables occasionally like green veggies and cabbage. Most frequently I hve eggplant, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers and some indian vegetables

can I introduce some rice to reduce bloating?
    Does beef cause bloating

Eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers are nightshades. Try dropping them for a couple of weeks and see if it improves.

I wouldn't bring rice in right now. Something is causing it and adding something else won't solve the problem and may even make things worse.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Which vegetables am I supposed to consume then?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Personally, I don't know that I have problems with nightshades, but I stick to:

Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Green Beans
    Mushrooms
    Green Onions
    Bean Sprouts
    Cabbage

Occasionally:
    Cauliflower
    Brussels Sprouts
    Tomatoes (nightshade)
    Cucumbers
    Bell Peppers and/or Jalapenos (nightshades)
    Other Onions

That's just me. I have noticed that spices recently have cause a lot of discomfort for me... I made some meatballs and I think I was a little heavy handed with the Italian Seasoning Blend I use... I almost never have gassy food burps anymore, and I had them still about 12 hours later... It was not fun. But mostly I tasted the Italian stuff...so I think there is either something in that particular blend or I used too much of something...
  • Dragonwolf
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's a nice list of vegetables, just cross off tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, everything else is fair game -- http://www.ruled.me/best-low-carb-vegetables-ketogenic-diet/

Also, to note - Paprika is a nightshade, too.