Having stomach pains whenever I eat sugar?

cneb
cneb Posts: 12 Member
I'm not sure if this is PCOS related, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I've always had trouble digesting any sort of fast food, which honestly has been a blessing. I'm never tempted by it. This Friday I decided to clean out the cupboard and only have foods that are good for me with low GI, etc.

I had a slice of cake at a party on Sunday and that night I got horrible cramps. On Monday, I went to a bonfire and had a smore which then gave me horrible cramps. Today I was craving some chocolate and had a handful of chocolate chips and again got horrible cramps.

I mean I would expect something like this maybe a week later after I started eating clean, but not a day. Is this maybe a different PCOS problem or...?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    For me, it was headaches. Yes, after a single day of not having sugar, I got a migraine-like headache instantly after having a SINGLE BITE OF SUGAR. I know that if I ate sugar while I was on Metformin, I was in he!!. So each person's body has different reactions. If you know sugar is hitting you that hard, I would avoid it for a month and then do isolated tests. If that cake was chocolate or had chocolate, it could be that factor... Also, if any of them had sugar alcohols added or anything, those make me have violent intestinal reactions, as well. There are too many things in common with those foods other than sugar that could also be problematic to isolate, so eliminate them all from your diet for a month before adding back in single items for a week or so to find the root issue. Also, if you have to have chocolate, bump up the percentage. I don't eat anything under 75% chocolate anymore, and usually it's 86-90% chocolate. It is enough to fix the chocolate urge without being sweet enough to make me want more. I use dark cocoa powder too.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Sugar in general tends to make me feel icky, but soda is what causes me some major GI unhappiness. I don't drink it often at all, but when I do I typcially end up in the bathroom. There's supposedly no difference between sugar and HFCS, but my body definitely reacts worse to HFCS.

I agree with Knit about the chocolate! I love 75% cacao, but one or two small pieces are enough. I use 60% when I make cookies :smile:

• Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    If you are on any medications for you PCOS some of them can cause unhappy tummy when you eat the carb (sugar) heavy foods.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Metformin + sugar will make you very sick. If this is not a wetformin issue and you have cut out sugar then suddenly eat some, you probably spiked your blood sugar and made yourself sick. This used to happen to me a lot when I was a little girl. It's kind of interesting in retrospect that I had trouble handling sugar even as a skinny pre-pubescent kid - PCOS probably has its roots long before puberty.

Anyway if you're going to be serious about cutting out sugar you really have to cut out sugar and not crack or you'll just get sick again. The only way to eat sugar after you've lowered your tolerance to it is after you've already eaten something else, like a dessert after a full meal when your blood sugar is already humming and the "spike" effect won't be as high.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    I told my doc over a decade ago that while I was on Met, I couldn't eat bread or pasta because it made me sick. She told me it wasn't due to the meds. I soon stopped taking them and went fully low carb. The problem went away. Guess it was the Met.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    ldmoor wrote: »
    I told my doc over a decade ago that while I was on Met, I couldn't eat bread or pasta because it made me sick. She told me it wasn't due to the meds. I soon stopped taking them and went fully low carb. The problem went away. Guess it was the Met.

Not the Met? Yeah...I call bull. You should ask her if she's ever taken Met, herself. Sounds like dollars to donuts, she hasn't.