Just diagnosed

Options
rcaccavale
rcaccavale Posts: 6 Member
I was just diagnosed with pcos. Does pcos go away if I lose weight? Can I still have babies with pcos?

Replies

• steph122911
    steph122911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The symptoms will subside as you lose weight but I don't think it ever goes away. As far as having a baby, it can be done. It won't he east but you can do it. I am struggling still adjust and I've had my diagnosis for about 6 months!
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    rcaccavale wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with pcos. Does pcos go away if I lose weight? Can I still have babies with pcos?

You can lose weight, but for most of us we notice it is much more of a struggle than for people who do not have PCOS. I am just starting to get really focused and I am employing a lot of tactics that I probably would not if I did not have PCOS. I have cut out sugar, refined carbs, cut back on dairy, and maintained my fat intake with things like nuts, eggs, and healthy oils. I am also taking some supplements shown to help with insulin or androgen issues.
    As far as PCOS going away, it is like diabetes or a lot of other disorders where it never fully goes away, but you can alleviate the symptoms. What symptoms do you struggle with?
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go away. You will always have PCOS, but eating right and exercising can definitely help balance your hormones. Some need medication to help as well.

You can have a baby! My doctor said my body was made for a reproductive endocrinologist. Some are able to get pregnant simply by treating PCOS. Some need more help.

If you are already of average weight, losing may not help a ton, but I've heard losing just a few pounds (without becoming underweight) can make a difference.
  • sarahswadkins
    sarahswadkins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its proven if you can decrease your body weight by 10% it decreases the symptoms and effects of pcos. Diet and exercise are vital with this condition because of the insulin resistance woman are prone to gaining weight easy. I was diagnosed last year and am still battling with my weight so trying to find the right balance with my foods. One things for definite I cut out dairy and gluten because both increase insulin levels in the body which creates the male hormone ... its actually quite complex but more commom than people think ... if you need any advice feel free to ask. P.s sorry for the essay lol