Feeling like I should have known this...

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
I committed to sharing all aspects of my journey--even the ones I am not so proud of, so here you go....

I spent the last 3 weeks staying within my cals (except for a few big binge days), but my eating was CRAP. I was exercising twice as much as I usually would and was skipping meals to allow myself to eat garbage at night in front of the tv without gaining-- but I felt horrible---- AND crazy. Really- sugar makes me CRAZY. I KNOW this-- but sometimes I insist on acting like an idiot and eating it anyway. So, for the last few days I have been eating like a reasonable human being with blood sugar issues--- which for me, means low carb, mod protein, higher fat-- I know when I eat this way I feel satisfied and SANE. I feel full and don't want to snack on junk. DUH, right?

The worst part is the eat-repent-repeat thing I get into EVERY time. Each night I would say- I am not doing this tomorrow-- and I did it anyway. Felt strangely reminiscent of my life pre-surgery. YUCK.

I am not going to say that I will never eat sugar again--- because at some point I probably will-- but I can say for SURE that as long as I eat the way I have the last 2 days, It strongly decreases the likelihood I will descend into madness again.

Thanks for hearing me out and for the support you all give me here. :)<3B)

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Your story rings true here! Good for you for recognizing a bad pattern developing and working to intercede. I am having some similar struggles as I add calories to find maintenance levels. I am not adding good things and am adding them in the evening snacking zone which has always been a problem for me. As it is the summer and I am in the active part of the year with golf and other outside things, everything looks good on the scale, but I need to add the calories in the way I know I should.

As usual, your sharing really helps me know that I am not alone in my struggles.

Thanks.

Rob
  • Thaeda
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Your story rings true here! Good for you for recognizing a bad pattern developing and working to intercede. I am having some similar struggles as I add calories to find maintenance levels. I am not adding good things and am adding them in the evening snacking zone which has always been a problem for me. As it is the summer and I am in the active part of the year with golf and other outside things, everything looks good on the scale, but I need to add the calories in the way I know I should.

As usual, your sharing really helps me know that I am not alone in my struggles.

Thanks.

Rob

Awww shucks! As always, happy to help. That evening snacking thing is a b**tch and a half, man. You might want to look at some low carb sites and find recipes for "treats" that are sugar free (but not low-cal) that will fill you up. That is what works for me. It has to be something REALLY delicious though, so it feels like something special. :) Happy golfing!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you Thaeda! Lovely post about a topic we all have, or do, struggle with! Try to create other good habits for that time of the evening to replace the food. Good luck! :smile:
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I always love to hear from you, your honesty and stories I tuck away and hope to remember. Only two months out I haven't faced that particular struggle yet - but I know it's coming, thanks for sharing and for continuning to be an inspiration!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Thaeda, I love your honesty and insight. It really does make a difference exactly what our calories are made up of. I gained through the holidays not because I was over calories, but because of what my calories were made up of (sweets, carbs, junk).

I too am struggling with the snacking thing. I know part of it is my frustration that I can't seem to lose anymore or even what I gained through the holidays (this is my pre surgery eating habit and attitude of it's not working so why bother rearing it's ugly head) and part is just plain head hunger maybe mixed with some boredom. Being injured yet again doesn't help either because it's limiting and leads to that boredom.

Great thread! Great ideas. Great support in knowing we are not alone in this struggle.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I know part of it is my frustration that I can't seem to lose anymore or even what I gained through the holidays (this is my pre surgery eating habit and attitude of it's not working so why bother rearing it's ugly head) and part is just plain head hunger maybe mixed with some boredom. Being injured yet again doesn't help either because it's limiting and leads to that boredom.

Yeah-- I am trying to redefine my goal from doing what "works" to what allows me to feel good and enjoy my life. It can be tough to find that balance between putting forth some effort and turning a "lifestyle" into a job. And you are right- injury does NOT help. Not at ALL. I am cheering for you, though! Hang in there!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love this post.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    I love this post.

Thanks! <3
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you Thaeda. That is all.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! It made me have an "aha" moment- I have been within my cals lately but really really struggling. May be time to investigate on a "macro" level. Xoxo as usual I love and appreciate your honesty- you rock!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Theada. I so appreciate your openness and honesty. I ran across a pic earlier today on FB that said "You can't out run your fork"... ;)
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found one of the ways for me to get a bit of sweet in, that was also good for me was to mix 1/2 of a sugar free pudding mix into a large container of 0 fat greek yogurt and have fruit with it. The banana cream one and the cheesecake one are both winners, and whatever kind of fruit you have on hand.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've started eating a half a mashed banana with an egg and cinnamon as a pancake. Just mush it together and cook. Top with yogurt or cottage cheese. It's really good and nicely sweet and no grains!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I found one of the ways for me to get a bit of sweet in, that was also good for me was to mix 1/2 of a sugar free pudding mix into a large container of 0 fat greek yogurt and have fruit with it. The banana cream one and the cheesecake one are both winners, and whatever kind of fruit you have on hand.

Oooh dont forget pishachio and butterscotch! I put in in my vanilla protein shakes - with ice and a nutribullet, I have to eat with a spoon... its almost ice cream :)
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am about to hit phase 3. Is the "Yo nana" a good treat NUT speaking?
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Before I started this journey I was being treated for RA, my hands were swollen, hips sore, and totally worn out. When I gave up sugar to see if I could before I had the sleeve, I started feeling better, the inflammation in my blood tests came down, the hands and hip started feeling better. I am off my medication for RA. The Doctor said if my diet helps then stay on it. He said there aren't enough studies to show that the diet helps RA, because there is no money in it. I told him I felt amazing and he said to stay away from sugar and call him if anything came back, well, its been a year and I haven't called him. I feel great. Now that doesn't mean that I don't crave sugar, but I just keep it below the 15 grams per serving and a little sweet now goes a long way. I have read some studies where rats that are hooked on cocaine and sugar will choose sugar over cocaine. how true that is I don't know. I also read that so many of our ailments are exacerbated by the use of sugar, from diabetes of course, to brain activity, dementia and cancer. Since I am getting older I am finding that I feel so much better, I have energy like I did in my 20's and 30's, my mind is clearer. I am afraid to say I will never eat sugar, but I will be mindful of what I am eating and why.