heart rate monitor or not

theswan0
theswan0 Posts: 51 Member
Iv just got my fitbit a week ago im not sure if i should invest in a heart rate monitor iv not got much weight to loose only about half a stone as im 132lb i got my fitbit for two reasons because I was ill for 4 years and had 5 operations and i felt very low after Being so ill but 3weeks ago i was discharged from the hospital and i want to feel fit and healthy again, i also got it as i don't sleep very well and most days i struggling to stay awake so i felt it may benefit me with tracking my sleep, im not sure if it would benefit me getting a heart monitor or not would people recommend it?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It depends what types of exercise you're planning on doing.
    I've got the basic fitbit zip as the only exercise I do is walking. So a HR monitor would be pretty useless for me
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Dittos to above.

Anything exercise step based the device is going to do pretty good with, if it seems to be accurate for distance traveled for your stride length.

But exercise is what - 1 hr out of 24 in a day, maybe not even 7 hrs weekly?
    3.5% of your time potentially in exercise, and even there, is it high calorie burning enough to matter?
    Maybe 13% of a day's potential calorie burn?

Still haven't gotten out of the inaccuracy potential of food logging.

Spend the money on a decent food scale (well, not that much) that will work will - better investment.

When you start doing endurance cardio and need better training - then HRM will be useful for it's intended purpose - monitoring your heart rate.
  • theswan0
    theswan0 Posts: 51 Member
    Thank you for your opinions i spend most of my time walking and doing step i do a bit of weight training but i think i will leave it a while then before i think again about buying it i eat very well anyway as i can't stand fatty food it makes me feel ill thanks again :smile:
  • jnwkrk
    jnwkrk Posts: 4 Member
    heybales

I walk regularly and burn about 10 cal per min (according to my Fitbit Zip). If I walk an hr, that's about 600 cals burned. With that Fitbit adjustment to MFP, it helps to keep me satisfactory fed. So for me walking makes all the difference. Not sure I could make it on the base calories in my diet. Incidentally, that adjustment is a two edged butter knife, cuz if I don't walk it docks me about 275 cals a day. So a 1 hr walk nets me about 325 cals. An additional 30 mins and I net another 300 cals.

I live in a rural area, so if I walk into town, I can visit the pub, have a couple brews, walk home, avoid busting my diet and a DUI. LOL!

theswan0

As for the HRM, if you walk fast enuff, you can feel your heart beat in your throat. :wink: :smiley:
  • heybales
    @jnwkrk - great use of that device then - probably really good estimate of calorie burn.

And you nailed exactly the only way that exercise really helps diet - by allowing you to burn more daily - it allows you to eat more and hopefully adhere better to the goals.
    Even when adding the fun stuff.

At least on days you don't walk, but still want to eat at a certain level - you know your deficit just isn't as great on that one day, and doesn't derail you at all.

I think that's why it's nice to set the Fitbit calories burned goal to whatever amount above your deficit goal you can manage.
    Like if you eating 2000 allows the fun stuff, then the goal can be set to 2500, and then you got something to reach.

Ever gone down the wrong rural road on way back home, burned an additional amount, that allowed you to then go right back to the pub?
  • jnwkrk
    Not that I can remember
  • jnwkrk
    Oh I forgot the period (.) at the end of my last comment. I wonder if that means something?
  • heybales
    edited June 2015
    There's also a little settings wheel on your posts for an hour, you can edit them within that time.

Subconsciously, it probably does mean something. ;-)