Chat and Accountability Jun 14- Jun 20

Options
Hmrjmr1
Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
Happy Sunday Folks Just did my Healthy Living Assessment with the VA. My actual age is 60.

Health Age

Your Health Age is 71.
You can reduce this by 10 years.

Your Health Age is significantly worse than most people your age, so making changes is very important. Even if you check all recommendations, it may not be possible to recalculate to reduce your health age by the full number of years listed. The health age calculation takes a number of factors into account and some are not listed as choices. Because of this, the number of years by which your health age can be reduced is an approximation. Health Age provides a general estimation of risks and includes the following components:

Blood pressure
Cholesterol
Body mass index (BMI)
Diet and physical activity
Use of tobacco and alcohol
Social connections
Employment status
Certain health conditions, such as diabetes

Your risk is illustrated by calculating the effect that your health choices have on your estimated lifespan, compared to the average lifespan for someone of your age and sex. This model does not account for all underlying health conditions that you may already have. Some health conditions may decrease estimated lifespan. Others may not decrease lifespan, but could affect quality of life as you age. Talk with your health care team about how best to optimize your health. The number of years you can add to your lifespan by making some changes is also shown. For more about the possible changes, see the My Health Choices section of the Full Report.

So my conclusion is that something is not working in my post smoking diet. My conclusion is that I need to go back to stuff that worked, so C ya Paleo, ULC, Kiefer stuff and the whole lot. I am gonna see how things roll out for the next 6 mos using the Big John Methodology. Will let folks know how it goes.

Replies

• beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    John. I absolutely agree you need to find what works for you. However I do not think you can blame these results on Paleo, Kiefer or ULC (which long term isn't good anyway) because you haven't fully followed any of those protocols. With any of those if truly metabolically damaged it could take months of strict protocol to truly heal your body.

Those of us interested in these things and learning about all different POV have a tendency to pick pieces of each and apply the interesting ones rather than sticking with one true one for a significant time period to truly judge results. I used to do that all the time. In my case I'm glad I finally stopped and am sticking to one. I was spinning my wheels when I took bits of this guys program and bits of that one.

There's no doubt you have enough knowledge to figure it out yourself and get where you need to be. Good luck.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Kim- I don't blame anybody but me. My hand is the only one that puts things in my mouth. As for the proponents of other styles of eating. No problem wish them all well. But do not assume I haven't followed a protocol because I haven't spoke of it here. The fact is I tried Carb Nite strictly for two months 18 months ago. My result was brain fog that would not go away. Actually made my drive to and from work very dangerous. I have always assumed it was a problem for just me since hadn't heard of any one else with it. 6 mos later tried Whole 30 Brain fog only lasted a couple days. Better benefits, but still not a sustainable way to eat. but a very good place to reset to. So I personally think it if works for ya go for it. Not afraid to try stuff, but I also lost the first 100 lbs of my weight doing what I know to be useful to me. It too has many risks, I have some mitigation strategies to account for them. But I do not recommend my process to any one but me. That's why I will not write a book about it, or train coaches to coach about it because folks can't get the book info to work without a coach. Its just me back in my saddle doing what works for me. This is not a rant just stating the facts. Much good luck on your journey.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Big John Methodology? Fantastic!
    Keep us posted.

Kim, you wrote that one for me. Can't keep 100% to anything!

Gotta run. Happy Monday all!!
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Morning all! I kept meaning to get back over to post yesterday, but was a tad busy. I will be back later. Happy Monday!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What is big John method?
    Yep John, something is not balance and I think you need to seek out a good endocrinologist. Someone like Mark Gordon. Dr rocky Patel from body Io recently finish training with Dr Gordon and Arturo is on on the waiting list for having him as a coach so hopefully things will get moving for him. He has the same issue with you in that he see slow or no progress because of his hormones.

As for me, I ate something a couple of weeks that aggravated my stomach and I've been bloated so no sense weighing myself. Sigh.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Still plugging away. Lost a pound during VBS, a week where I typically gain a couple so that's a huge win. Back at the weights and loving it.

Hammer, I am sure you will figure things out, just stay focused and don't get frustrated!
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Seems getting back here to post last night did not happen.

Kelly and Heron, Thanks a bunch ladies! I picked up all three this weekend. Trying to find info about if you can use wild yam and black cohosh at the same time. Thanks again. I feel a tad more in control:)

John, I am sorry the numbers were not what you hoped for. You will find what works for "you." Hang in there bud and please share.

Heron, Sorry to hear about the stomach issues. I finally felt like mine were getting better and then I went and had too much cheese the other night. Cheese is not my friend. I adore it though.

Kevin, Woohoo on the loss and enjoying the weights. I love weights and although I am scaling back, I am trying to be consistent with them again. Something about them soothes me:)

Proud to report that I am going strong with the water and having less Diet Coke. Not totally eliminating it yet and somehow that is helping me. Strange how the taste is changing. Finding that working on the water and cleaning up the diet is making me dislike the taste of certain things. On the workout front, I am back to a running plan I had created for me by Strength Running. Fun stuff. Last night I hit the track by the house to play around. Not sure what it is about the track, but it intimidates me and makes me feel like an athlete at the same time!
  • babygirl59601
    babygirl59601 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Kris you should be able to do both together! I am impressed when I eat something that I have faded out for awhile how strongly I can smell grease or sugar!

Well I did the appt with the oral surgeon for my middle son, Jo, yesterday afternoon. They will pull 9 teeth at the next appt. so apparently two bottom back partials will need to be made for him. I should be angry with him for doing this to himself but I find that I am insanely proud of him! He is facing his fears and working on picking himself up from the place he slid into almost 6 years ago when his dad died. He has gained 25 lbs in 6 months as well! An awesome things as he was so scary under weight. He is 6'3" and was down to 130lbs. He is up to 155!!

Been off my weights for a couple of days. Back at it today, mostly lol. Bought a shotgun on Saturday with mark and bruised myself pretty good trying it out Saturday night! Well time to get ready for work... Yay walking!!

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • heronh
    Options
    Kris, let us know if you see any improvement ;)

Kelly, I am glad that you son is getting better! And this is a very crucial phase for him he might want to revert back but I am sure you will be there cheering him on. And if you hadn't already check out care credit. It's a interest free line of credit that can be use for medical, dental and even vet care. Years ago I needed 3 root canal and even with insurance that was a hefty bill and that's how we found out about care credit and that has created in handy with our dogs as well!

I am enjoying the quiet now that all the fosters all gone! Whoo!
  • babygirl59601
    babygirl59601 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I will keep the care credit in mind. At this point he has 100% coverage with no co pays or deductible thankfully. I don't think he will revert... He is the type that decides something and sticks with it lol. But time will tell!
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    John I thought of you today when listening to a talk (though it applies to all of us of course ) and that's to reframe thinking about failing. Now I think you have this mentality anyway but it frames it a new way for me.

Often we're afraid to fail so we avoid doing ANYTHING. And instead of thinking of failing we need to think of it as gathering data. Something goes off plan? Then assess the data to see WHY and make changes accordingly. It's not a failure; it's just data!

So happy to hear about your son Kelly! I'm sure that you are a huge inspiration for him :)

Great job Kevin! Glad you got to enjoy VBS too!

Kris - sometimes doesn't it feel like you just kill it working out? Love the "challenge " the track gives you along with warm and fuzzies.

Carol - don't worry about being a lone wolf bc John was speaking right to me too LOL

Happy Tuesday everyone!
  • heronh
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Migraines...., Not fun.
    I just found out that Arturo is taking the dogs and I to Oregon for his week long work trip and we are using the weekend before and after for mini vacations. I really need to step up on Rosie's recall since we will be going to a beach.
    I've finish my herbalist course and there is south to digest thank goodness we get the to save all the classes so I can re listen it. I've already used some of what I learned and the results are better than conventional methods. Just finished compiling my herbs list and will be making more tinctures for the family; adaptogens, anti inflammatory, immune boosters and multi vitamins for human and dogs, calming formulas, and organ cleansing.
    I've also finish an extensive seminar on how to train separation anxiety in dogs. Very interesting! Seems like majority of the cause of SA is a form of "PTSD". Something traumatic happened to them when they were alone and hence being alone is a trigger. The successful rate of curing SA through training and RX or holistic is only 70%. More and more cases of MWD have PTSD and studies shown that there are strong links that it could be genetics. So hopefully breeders are taking that into considerations. Arturo and I are actually on a list to give an ex MWD a home if needed though it's highly unlikely since the handlers always get them but just in case nobody could take it we'd like to give them a home.
    On the weigh loss side, since my food sensitives bloat and my ahem cycle is about to start no sense in weighing. However I tried on this cute plaid shirt that I bought online a few months ago that is cut for a woman and my arms fit! When I received it I could bared fit my arm in the sleeves but the torso is very roomy so pretty happy that I can actually wear it now. I tend to have issues with tops, the shoulders and arms are usually the problem areas but I don't blame myself or feel bad because I have wide shoulders and bigger arms, you just find workarounds. Ladies it's not your fault if you can't fit into something ;) I remind that to women all the time.
  • heronh
    Options
    One more thing... Be kind to yourself, I know most of us are not where we want to be but please don't look into the the mirror and say " I'm fat" instead pick a feature and say "hey I like my "x" "
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Heron I took what you said to heart. Few of my clothes fit at my current weight and besides my business casual work clothes I had one pair of jeans and workout pants. I'm tired of only wearing workout pants at home and feeling crappy that everything else is too small. Talk about setting yourself up for negativity when you can't even get dressed in the morning.

So a store in town had 40% off shorts and capris and have sizes that fit so we went over today and I found a pair of shorts and a pair of jean capris that fit well and look great. While I didn't want to spend money on clothes that ideally won't fit by the end of summer, it made me feel so good to look in the mirror and be happy with what I was wearing.

So happy I mowed the lawn for over an hour and did 4 sprints up the driveway :smile: