Getting back at it - how to start

Options
emilyesq
emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
So, I've been away from the gym for a couple months, mostly due to finances. My last visit was in March. My numbers were as follows:

Squat - 110lbs
Bench - 70lbs
Deadlift - 140lbs
OHP - 50lbs
Barbell row - 70lbs

As you can see, I wasn't terribly far into the program. I think I'd been going for about 2 months.

I have no idea what kind of weight I should be starting with now. I don't really want to go back to the beginning unless I absolutely have to. I know I'll be starting over on OHP (I was barely managing 50 back then), but I had progressed pretty far on squats and deadlifts. Do I have to go back to the empty bar and work my way back up, or is there a general rule I can follow, like deload by a certain percentage and go from there?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    i've never done such a long break. but i've done lots of much shorter ones where i deloaded and began working back, i don't really understand why there has to be a prescription for exactly what number would fit with your case.

rippetoe's advice for a brand-newbie just learning the lifts is to always always do a few sets with the bar to correct any issues with form, and then start adding weight in 10lb increments for one set each time. when you reach the weight you know you can't add to without losing form or missing reps, that's your work weight.

should work for re-finding your spot on the stronglifts as well. basically, don't skip the progression forward from square one, but fast-forward your way through it until you find the right point. maybe one workout given up to re-orienting yourself by doing that, and after that you could just work from that point.

others with more experience might have more helpful ideas.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I took a month long break back in December and when I started up again, I deloaded on all exercises by 50% (this was per the SL5x5 app recommendation). It sucked that I had to go from a 125lb squat back down to 65lbs but I shrugged it off and took the deload as an opportunity to work on form. 5 months later and I'm squatting 175lbs 5x5.