Aria Scale Strategy with MFP

Options
Stacivogue
Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
I have a love/hate relationship with my aria scale. It's great when i am just starting out - or if I'm afraid of what the scale might say. I just put a post-it note over the window and weigh myself and then i don't check it for a week. After a week's time, i look at the chart and see...oh, that wasn't so bad. I'm still making progress.

However, now that I've been pretty serious about making a positive change in my diet and exercising, it can be disheartening to see the scale go up. Even if I KNOW it's probably just water weight, or maybe I built some extra muscle...
But what would drive me CRAZY was when I would gain that pound, and MFP politely did not mention it, and then two days later MFP would grandly announce that i'd lost 1 lbs since my last weigh in! Then I'd get all of these likes.

So, I put a second user on the aria scale. When I go up, I just let it link to the second account (unless I really overdid it and went to a wedding or something - because i do have to accountable for gains of that sort).

That way MFP just states when I really lose weight - and I can celebrate without being all annoyed that it keeps announcing that I've lost the same darn pound every day for a week.

Then, after several weeks go by, I go ahead into the fitbit site and "check" all of the weighings - adding them to my history.

So - then i can look back and say- "See, i went up and down and up and down but in the grand scheme of things, that little gain did not stop my overall progress."

And all of a sudden, the scale does not:
1) dictate my mood for the rest of the day
2) give me an excuse to eat poorly because "why bother"

And it does:
1) help me

Replies

• jbinfullerton
    jbinfullerton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a lot of work! I just step on mine every morning and keep on going! When I feel discouraged by a stall in weight loss or a gain one day or another I just remind my self to look at the progress over a week and over a month and over 2,3,6 months and all the time span options in the MFP progress tab. This puts it into perspective that while not everyday is the result I wanted ... if I keep working ... it all accumulates to the long term loss I am working towards! Down 60 since Sept 10th 2014! Down 0 this past week! But down 3.5 over the month! I've learned to feel ok with the normal fluctuations and to recognize when I'm actually getting off track and need to sharpen up my calories or my workouts!
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Measure and record every day. The use something like trendweight see your overall pattern of weightloss. It avoids the silly mental games, because it lets you identify the spikes for what they are (bumps on the road, no dead ends)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wow it sounds like weighing yourself is more stress than it's worth...

I weigh myself every 1-2 weeks just to make sure I'm on track, and then forget about it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    Measure and record every day. The use something like trendweight see your overall pattern of weightloss. It avoids the silly mental games, because it lets you identify the spikes for what they are (bumps on the road, no dead ends)

I love my Fitbit Aria wifi scale. The body fat measurement is rubbish, but I love never having to log my weight. I sync with http://trendweight.com (it's free) to see the trend without the "noise" from water weight.

Unlike MFP's "in five days" nonsense, Trendweight accurately predicted my loss and has helped me maintain for a year. I step on the scale every morning, check TW, then let it go until tomorrow.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Depends on the individual. For me, getting qualitative progress reports is an important part of keeping me motivated. As long as I know what is happening, good news or bad, I'm happy and motivated.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »

Depends on the individual. For me, getting qualitative progress reports is an important part of keeping me motivated. As long as I know what is happening, good news or bad, I'm happy and motivated.

Agreed!

There's healthy motivation, then there's complete obsession which may ruin your day/week/life if you don't like the numbers that little machine gives you..

• FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I love my Fitbit Aria wifi scale. The body fat measurement is rubbish, but I love never having to log my weight.

I am a gadget gal, but I LOVE the ritual of logging my weight loss manually! I do not log any "gains" from waterweight.