That Thin Runner Look

Options
Equus5374
Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
I had my picture taken at a race yesterday and when I looked at it, I was a bit shocked at what I saw. Apparently I have taken on that thin, almost emaciated runner look. I love running so I do it a lot; not a whole lot but apparently it has chewed up a lot of fat and muscle on me. I'm tall and lanky as it is (5-10) so I guess it's just a natural result. I know that most top-level runners have this look and it's a natural result of high mileage (I have been running faster lately!!).

I admit to not doing a whole lot of weight training. I'm trying to incorporate it more in my cross training, but on the advice of another runner who told me "you can't do both," I'm doing my running for the summer and fall and will pick up the heavy weights over the winter and try to bulk up a bit. I guess it's all part of the journey.

Just wondering if anyone else has faced the same issue and what you have done about it, if anything. It doesn't bother me that much, but you know how people make comments ("you should try eating something!" and the like).

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Running boils down to an epic battle against gravity. To some, I think I do look a bit thin, but I take the comments I get and push them away because I know I eAt healthy (probably even eat more calories than the person making the comment! I bet they didn't burn 1000 calls today!) and I know this body type helps me run fast. I ask myself, what means more? The finish line or the comment made from ignorance?

:)
  • Equus5374
    Options
    Good point, thanks! I have been enjoying the benefits of getting faster! I ran my fastest miles ever in my race yesterday!
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    Also - you can lift a bit and train for a race, too. I use pfitzinger's weight training plan 2x per week and plyometrics once. It's a couple sets each of:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Chest press
    Shoulder press
    Weighted Lunge with twist
    Weighted sit up
    Lat pull

And I do core in between in each.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Interesting. A couple of us had a similar conversation today. I'm with Carrie on this one. I don't lift heavy when I weight train. It is more for lighter weights, more reps and more sets that help provide some definition where the fat has burned off.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Old person's perspective . . . I weight train three times a week. I like doing traps, lats, back, chest and arms only. Why? Because at 70 I don't look stooped or any of that other stuff. I want the lean runner's look too, but not at the cost of posture. I'm only running 14 miles per week. Hard to know what to do.
  • torituma4
    torituma4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    where do u draw the line ? do u use BMI or fat% . curious bc i m bordering that thin scrawny look too. i feel ok but the comment - u could surely eat a couple of burgers kept coming at me :(
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Some of us are still working to get back to the lean runner's look. :smiley:
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    torituma4 wrote: »
    where do u draw the line ? do u use BMI or fat% . curious bc i m bordering that thin scrawny look too. i feel ok but the comment - u could surely eat a couple of burgers kept coming at me :(

Impress them with your crazy long run eat-a-thon days. I love getting back on saturdays and looking at MFP...OK, let's go find some awesome food to get back that 1000+ calories plus daily allowance!
  • torituma4
    torituma4 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Carrieendar hahaha u are so so right! after my long runs and races i just "inhale" all the food on my plate. my friend usually look at me and start asking did u just finished? i usually nod then start looking at second helpings
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Getting thin from running and burning the fat is a good thing. The thing that is scary (and this applies to me too) is when you say you chewed up a lot of muscle. The fat can go, but we should focus on keeping as much muscle as we can, especially the muscles that help us run faster and longer. For this reason, I am trying to focus on my calories more and get as much protein in as I can. I started drinking a glass of milk as soon as I get up in the morning before my run because we risk muscle breakdown as we sleep as fast overnight. And I make a milkshake with protein powder after I get done with my run in the morning. Just wish I had more motivation to hit the weights more as I have focused a lot of running the miles.

But don't let the snarky comments get to you. Keep doing your thing.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Getting thin from running and burning the fat is a good thing. The thing that is scary (and this applies to me too) is when you say you chewed up a lot of muscle. The fat can go, but we should focus on keeping as much muscle as we can, especially the muscles that help us run faster and longer. For this reason, I am trying to focus on my calories more and get as much protein in as I can. I started drinking a glass of milk as soon as I get up in the morning before my run because we risk muscle breakdown as we sleep as fast overnight. And I make a milkshake with protein powder after I get done with my run in the morning. Just wish I had more motivation to hit the weights more as I have focused a lot of running the miles.

But don't let the snarky comments get to you. Keep doing your thing.

I'm really in the same boat. I'm trying to get more protein into my diet; MFP has taught me that I don't eat enough. So I've increased the Greek yogurt, protein powder, meat, fish, etc. I am not as motivated to lift weights either, especially while training for a specific race. But it's just something that I've got to get used to doing. I bought some swim fins for the pool that increase the water's resistance - hope that will help soon.