Progressive loading and hunger

Options
andylllI
andylllI Posts: 379 Member
hey peeps does anyone else feel ravenous with the introduction of progressive loading? If I use the same loads it stabilizes but seriously every week I increase weight on the bar the hunger comes. I literally want to eat all the things. All of them. I've been at this for 3-4 weeks now after a health- condition imposed hiatus. Will it calm down? I'm trying to eat at maintenance. I do not think 3-4 hours of strength training a week is going to increase my maintenance by the extra 600 calories my body now wants on training days.

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    So funny. I've never noticed any change in my appetite on the days I lift. I want to eat too much all the time!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I want to eat all the things, all the time, but it IS typically worse on heavy days (deadlifts are dreadful).

One way to counteract is to eat a good sized, balanced meal RIGHT after your workout, before you get too hungry. Letting yourself get hangry doesn,t work out too well.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I want to eat all the things, all the time, but it IS typically worse on heavy days (deadlifts are dreadful).

One way to counteract is to eat a good sized, balanced meal RIGHT after your workout, before you get too hungry. Letting yourself get hangry doesn,t work out too well.

I'm ravenous after I lift, especially if I'm at all hungry when I start. It does get better with time, maybe because you won't be able to go on adding 5 pounds every session forever. Now that I'm increasing more slowly, I seem to be less hungry. And I agree with the above--try to eat right away and "cut it off at the pass." Before I leave the house to lift or bike (which also makes me hungry, but at least I'm burning appreciable calories), I try to make myself a snack (crackers with hummus, edamame, a smoothie) and leave it in the refrigerator--otherwise I just shove any old thing into my mouth when I get home. Now that I'm leaner, I seem to go from I-could-nibble-something to I-may-gnaw-off-my-own-arm in a very short time--I have a hunch it's related to body fat.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I lift at night so have found that having casein before bed helps me tremendously - but when I've hit deadlifts really hard the next day I have to stop myself from eating the entire house...
  • andylllI
    Options
    I'm going to have to try that preemptive eating advice. The hunger is crazy - goes on all day if I lift in the am and all the next day if I lift in the pm.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm sloppy about eating right afterwards but it really does help me as well. and the 'carbs for recovery!' thing does seem to be true for me. with deadlifts though, all bets are off.

the day after deadlifts, it seems to me like FLESH has the best staving-off power i've found. like, for real. half a chicken from the barbecue place downstairs where i work, that will more or less normalize me over the rest of the day. pretty much anything else is like throwing kleenex into a furnace for all the duration it has, including the protein shakes and such that i usually drink.
  • andylllI
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Two days post deadlifts...I need all the foods. But what should I do...eat if I'm hungry (ie this is real hunger) or be hungry (Ie trust maintenance numbers and see the hunger as "false")? So far today: C268, F90, P157. Fiber 49g. About 2500. My tdee based on historical data and my *kitten* logging is 2200-2400. My logging is still *kitten*, but probably consistently so, since I tend to eat the same things most of the time and only weigh the novel things.