Snack Before a Workout?

Options
ErinCMDonohue
ErinCMDonohue Posts: 29 Member
I'm curious to know if any of you eat a snack before your workouts and about how long before a workout do you eat, and what do you eat?

I noticed yesterday when I had a banana about an hour before my workout that I had a ton of energy and felt great, but I had the most awful heartburn! :( Today I didn't have a snack and I made it through my workout but I'm a little wobbly and a bit nauseated. Maybe the banana was a bit acidic or too heavy?

Replies

• GinetteMac
    GinetteMac Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A snack for energy can be a good idea, but not too big as that can also upset your tummy. A protein bar might be a better idea. What ever works for you, now that you've tried both ways, try maybe some nuts or a bar and see if that helps. Good luck let us know!
  • BevSmith0142
    BevSmith0142 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what time you are working out Erin. I used to like the mornings and would time my workouts about an hour or so after my breakfast and then I'd have a post workout snack. I do agree you shouldn't workout without proper nutrition before hand though, and I'd also consider healthy proteins too, nuts, protein bars, protein drinks, etc. Let us know how you get on.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I love bananas for training snacks, but when possible I eat it straight after training. If training is at lunchtime then I need the nutrition before as breakfast was too long ago, but I need to eat only one banana and 60-90 before training or else it makes me feel sick during training.
  • ErinCMDonohue
    ErinCMDonohue Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    After some experimenting, I have found that I need to wait closer to 90 mins for any type of snacks before a workout. Thank you all for your suggestions! :)
  • BevSmith0142
    BevSmith0142 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You're welcome Erin. Go kick butt in the gym! ;)
  • GinetteMac
    GinetteMac Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Glad you found what you need best!