Mother serves more time than drunk driver

Options
13»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Her child is dead because someone chose to get behind the wheel of a car drunk. In this state, the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right-of-way.

You're missing my point. If you maintain that she had the right of way, I agree with you. The fact that she stepped out in traffic, when she could see a car coming might not have been wise. With the drunk driving epidemic and the high likeli hood that someone is texting or talking on a cell phone, I always lean towards being overly cautious. Being right doesn't take the dents out of cars or bring your dead loved ones back to life.

But the kid wasn't killed because of the jaywalking... he got away from her and ran into traffic on the opposite side of the street.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Her child is dead because someone chose to get behind the wheel of a car drunk. In this state, the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right-of-way.

You're missing my point. If you maintain that she had the right of way, I agree with you. The fact that she stepped out in traffic, when she could see a car coming might not have been wise. With the drunk driving epidemic and the high likeli hood that someone is texting or talking on a cell phone, I always lean towards being overly cautious. Being right doesn't take the dents out of cars or bring your dead loved ones back to life.

But the kid wasn't killed because of the jaywalking... he got away from her and ran into traffic on the opposite side of the street.

I get it. He was 4. He broke away from his mom and ran into traffic. It's Mom's job to oversee her children. For whatever reason, she momentarily lost control of her child. It's tragic. She dropped her guard for a moment. Parenting is a hard job, but she still has some culpability.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I get it. He was 4. He broke away from his mom and ran into traffic. It's Mom's job to oversee her children. For whatever reason, she momentarily lost control of her child. It's tragic. She dropped her guard for a moment. Parenting is a hard job, but she still has some culpability.

Yes, and she will bear the burden of that for the rest of her life. Doesn't mean she is guilty of vehicular homicide.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

Yes, and she will bear the burden of that for the rest of her life. Doesn't mean she is guilty of vehicular homicide.

Did someone try to convict her of Vehicular Homicide? I missed that.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Did someone try to convict her of Vehicular Homicide? I missed that.

Yes, they had initially charged her with vehicular homicide. Apparently they dropped those charges for a guilty plea to jaywalking.