Anyone have the Up3?

Options
adallen76
adallen76 Posts: 9 Member
I'm waiting on my Up3 to arrive. I had the Up in the past and loved the app. Currently, I have been trying the Fitbit hr, but really missed the jawbone app. All the reviews tend to be negative for the Up3- does anyone like it??!

Replies

• jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge hr, but really missed the up app, so got an up3 yesterday from best buy to try out. I like the size of the up band alot better than the fitbit, and do like the app better. However, it is more money for essentially less functionality. I have gone for a run and two walks since I got it and am wearing both at same time so I can track results. Even without hr tracking, I'm finding the calorie burns are within 20 or 50 calories of each other, and overall daily caloroe burn is very close. Steps are lower on jawbone, but I don't worry about the #.

Ultimately I will likely return it until jawbone updates their software to make use of more of the sensors. I also worry about the durability of the band, and it failing. But I will miss the app, and how much better it looks than my fitbit, which is kinda ugly. I just don't trust them to unlock the sensors anytime soon, and why pay more for less?
  • adallen76
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply- I'm really hoping they release the all day heart rate monitoring soon. Did you have any trouble with the band coming loose?
  • jbrown2339
    Options
    So far i have not. It's been on securely, but it is a bit tricky to figure out the clasp. The other complaint I heard was that it was difficult to tap it awake. I had that issue, until I figured out the trick. Rather than push it, or or tap from above, if I lay my hand on my hand, then just use my finger to gently tap it (like I might tap my finger when laying hand on counter) that seems to work if I tap on the very top or very bottom of the bracelet. And it takes about three taps to get a response.

Again, I want to like this, but I just am not sure about keeping it since it does more for less....and their quality record isn't great, and alot of people are pissed about their customer service at the moment.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    jbrown2339 wrote: »
    Their quality record isn't great, and alot of people are pissed about their customer service at the moment.

It took Jawbone months (and at least 4 phone calls) to replace my broken UP24. They finally sent an UP2, and I hate it.

It's impossible to put into & out of sleep (so I do it via the app), yet it goes to sleep for no reason sometimes. And the vibration is so faint, I don't notice. (That also ruined my favorite feature, the idle alert.)

It comes unclasped during the day, and completely falls off at night.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have the Up2 and I like it. I guess I must be in the small category of people that do... I don't mind the band, I have no trouble (usually) to put it into sleep mode. The vibrate for idle feature usually scares me so it gets me moving, haha. I dislike that you can't put it into stopwatch mode from the band though.
  • jbrown2339
    Options
    Yea that stopwatch only in the app is a bad bad bad design choice....

The band is something i want to like more than I actually do like... I seriously hate how chunky the fitbit is....why can't we have it all in terms of looks and function. Perhaps once they activate the sensors and the price comes down, I might reconsider. As it Is, I will likely return this weekend.

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I can't say I tried the UP3. I don't need the HRM so I didn't bother. Perhaps one day. But for now the UP2 does what I want. At least.

Yes, seriously. Even in the app it sucks because I don't have a data plan so if I'm not in a wifi zone or connected, it doesn't process if I hit End Stopwatch Mode. :/
  • adallen76
    Options
    I got my up3 yesterday. Wore it overnight and today. I loved the sleep tracking, but the sensors dug into my wrist - even left marks. Very uncomfortable. I also really missed being able to start my workout mode from the band and seeing my heart rate while working out. I think I will be going back to the Fitbit hr...
  • vmdave
    vmdave Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I got mine last week and had some issues at first but I called support and they sent me the firmware update. After the update it worked great I am really happy with it. I don't have any complaints.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    vmdave wrote: »
    I got mine last week and had some issues at first but I called support and they sent me the firmware update. After the update it worked great I am really happy with it. I don't have any complaints.

Is this the firmware update that Jawbone's been promising would make the heart rate sensors work throughout the day?
  • michsineath
    michsineath Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing the UP3 for a little more than a month, and I like it - before that, I wore the UP24 for about 5+ months. I went back and forth between the UP3/UP24 and the Fitbit Charge and I rate the UP about 10% higher, so not much. The edge, is based on the app, data presentation, and Smart Coach. Honestly, both UP and Fitbit are comparable at every level: UP has a better app, but Fitbit has a website dashboard and community; UP has awesome sleep and food data up front, but with Fitbit you have to dig for it; UP's Smart Coach offers personalized insight based on your inputs, Fitbit does not. All that said, I have a few gripes - hardly any of my friends and family use UP, the clasp catches on clothing, and you have to use the app to put it into activity mode; I preferred the UP24 design in both of these cases - and also wish UP had a better marketing team. But overall, I still prefer the app, design and implication that more data is coming (hydration, stress, more with heart rate, etc.). My two cents.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    UP has awesome sleep and food data up front, but with Fitbit you have to dig for it
    UP's Smart Coach offers personalized insight based on your inputs, Fitbit does not

Hardly any of my friends and family use UP
    Fitbit has a website dashboard and community
    The clasp catches on clothing
    You have to use the app to put it into activity mode

I agree. Another plus for UP is the idle alert—I call it my "lazy alarm."

But a huge minus is Jawbone's awful customer service. I have both an UP2 and a Fitbit Charge HR (after upgrading from an UP24 and Fitbit Flex), and Fitbit's customer service is a million times time better. Fitbit challenges are way more fun than UP duels. And Fitbits can sync (via a dongle) with a computer; UP requires a compatible smartphone or tablet.
  • michsineath
    Options
    I've heard similar about UP's customer service, but I've had great experiences - no hold, simple answers, etc. Though I've never had any issues, or returns, etc. Plus I've never had to use Fitbit Customer Service either, so I'm not in a position to judge.

I used the idle alert too, but realized it drained my battery a little more. However, to be fair, you can do this with Fitbit - you just have to set an alarm each hour.

The other bonus for UP is the design. It's sleek, looks more like a bracelet so you can still wear a regular watch if that's your thing. The Fitbit Charge and up are a little too chunky for my taste. I preferred the Fitbit Flex because of the size and ability to switch out the band colors easily. The flex just didn't have the bells and whistles of the Charge.
  • michsineath
    Options
    ...and I just received 3 new friend requests for Fitbit. Sigh.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I found customer service amazing...
    I've had one sent to me and it arrived in less than a week and I live in eastern Canada...they told me not to return the defective one as the cost was high and they didn't want their customers paying that.

I love my idle alert...it's set for every 15mins.

I have a fitbit zip...I found it not accurate in comparison to my jawbone...and stingy with active minutes.

I wore it for 1 month to compare...eh...about half of what my jawbone said.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit One for a LONG time and an Up, then Up24 when the Up's lights stopped working. I wore both since the One just slipped into my jeans pocket. I recently got the Up3 after trying the Fitbit Charge HR and not really liking it. I use a Polar HRM for my workouts, and I did not find that the Charge HR was that accurate for non-stepped based workouts. I always use a HRM for workouts, so constant 24 hour heart rate monitoring is not a need for me.

I do like the Up3 resting heart rate information, although I have only used it for two nights so far. My only disappointment with the Up3 is that it does not track as many steps as the Up and Up24. When comparing with my Fitbit, the Up and Up24 were always quite a bit higher, and I figured that was because it was wrist-based versus hip-based. But when I got a new Polar HRM/activity tracker (Polar A300), I noticed that its step count was comparable to the Fitbit One, only slightly higher, and it was wrist-based on my non-dominant hand. I always have worn the Up on my dominant hand. The Up3 is quite a bit lower than both the One and A300. Right now, Up3 has me at 2659, Fitbit One at 3756, and Polar A300 at 3920. Has anyone else noticed a drop in steps using the Up3?

I do love the Jawbone Up app and all the information, tips, and encouragement it gives. I also like how I get updates every 2000 steps, which used to happen more often with the earlier band. LOL! I have just recently linked MFP to Up instead of Fitbit and am loving the food information and food score. Sometimes the Up seems to "buzz" me, and I have no idea why. I do not think it is the idle alert. Does it vibrate when it sends a new notification to your phone?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    laurae wrote: »
    I have just recently linked MFP to Up instead of Fitbit and am loving the food information and food score.

You can link both Fitbit & UP to MFP—I've been doing it for two years. That way I can see CICO in all three apps.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    laurae wrote: »
    I have just recently linked MFP to Up instead of Fitbit and am loving the food information and food score.

You can link both Fitbit & UP to MFP—I've been doing it for two years. That way I can see CICO in all three apps.

I tried that when I first got the Up, but it seemed like they were battling with each other, and my data would constantly change on the MFP app depending on whether Fitbit or Jawbone had just synced. I am considering shelving my Fitbit for a bit anyway since i never really go onto the app anymore.
  • jbrown2339
    Options
    I noticed a huge drop in steps when I had the up3, compared to my phone and fitbit charge. When I had the up24, I did a comparison of it with the fitbit when I got It, and they were close. so agree with earlier poster, step count was noticeably lower, by at least 10%.

I returned the up3.
  • scottgeba
    scottgeba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My UP3 matches my phone when it's in my pocket and matched my actual counting of steps. The Charge HR I used to use counted WAY too many steps. With the latest update it actually is fairly close on distance as well with my GPS. Usually within .05 miles, which is better than I anticipated.

It's a shame they released it unfinished. Once it gets your hr consistently it will be fantastic. The charge hr is way too big to wear