New to the group

Options
sghulett
sghulett Posts: 3 Member
I am Gretchen and I am new to the group but not to GF. I am not celiac but had to go GF in Decemeber 2013 due to severe anemia and the Dr couldn't figure out where I was bleeding. I had to have some not so fun medical procedures and later found out I have some female issues that caused the anemia. I am now much better, however, I did try to go back on gluten in Dec 2014 and had 3 days of abdominal pain so... decided the benefits out weighed the pain I was suffering from and I also loved that my psoriasis was finally gone so am gf for life.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Gretchen! We aren't a very 'vocal' group but please lurk & post whenever you wish. There's a recipe thread, and 'where to eat out' ideas, and I post the latest studies on GF & Celiac Disease from Medscape (a med professional's continuing ed site).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :)
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Gretchen. I am new to the group too - just joined. I have been gluten free for about 30 years, but recently have been having a lot of autoimmune symptoms. (joint pain, diarrhea, skin problems, fatigue, very messed up hormones) I have suspected for some time that I am also caspian sensitive, but have been unwilling to give up dairy. Well, I finally got tired enough of not feeling well, so here I am, gluten free, dairy free, (and soy free - for my hormones.) Feeling much better, thank you! I live in Tokyo Japan, so don't have access to some of the non-gluten flours like almond flour and coconut flour, so the easiest thing for me is to just be grain free, with a little rice once in a while. I have been doing this for almost 6 weeks, and have been losing weight and feeling really good.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @keemra Gretchen, did you mean Capsicum? Like sweet or hot peppers? or did you mean casein - the milk protein? Just confirming, because some who have Celiac Disease are also sensitive to the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant)...
    Glad you are feeling better!
  • tealovercathy
    tealovercathy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My name is Cathy I do have Celiac i was diagnosed march 2014 so i have been on the gluten free diet for sometime but before that my mom and i thought my pain was from Fibromyalgia wasn't til the blood test i had that the doctor ran that came back positive. i am new to the group but been on my fitness pal for sometime now
  • canadjineh
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @tealovercathy : you can still have fibromyalgia and celiac disease at the same time. I do find that GF means that the sensitivities of fibro are lessened and fatigue is not as bad. Please read the second post here for published scientific studies on this. Just because you have one doesn't mean you can't have both. This may help you better understand how to get a handle on your conditions:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles#Item_7
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @keemra Gretchen, did you mean Capsicum? Like sweet or hot peppers? or did you mean casein - the milk protein? Just confirming, because some who have Celiac Disease are also sensitive to the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant)...
    Glad you are feeling better!
    Oops - spelling error. I did mean casein, the protein in dairy. But I also cannot handle hot peppers.

• canadjineh
    Options
    Hiya keemra: I did an elimination diet many years ago and found that casein was a problem only if I was not GF, weird huh? Perhaps my intestines are better able to handle the dairy proteins if they are healthier from no gluten. I loooove hot peppers! Our fridge door is filled with assorted hot sauces from many different countries. I can't handle pickled jalapenos though, just the fresh ones.
  • dalansteiner
    dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would be very happy to be able to eat casein. That way I could stop using the awful tasting rice protein powder in my shakes and use casein powder.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I would be very happy to be able to eat casein. That way I could stop using the awful tasting rice protein powder in my shakes and use casein powder.
    Have you tried Genuine Health Greens+ fermented vegan greens protein powder (I like the Chai Vanilla flavour) - not as nasty as rice protein. Also Vega makes a great vegan protein powder that tastes decent & has no soy for those who can't take soy either.

• dalansteiner
    dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No I haven't. I should also mention that I am a cheapskate and so when I cruise the protein powder aisle at Whole Foods I dismiss the higher priced versions out of hand (which of course includes the vegan versions), but that may be pennywise and pound foolish (hey! I made a pun).

The pea protein was cheap but unflavored so I shied away from buying that.

Having said all that, casein isn't an option now because I have contracted a rare disease known as EoE. This is a chronic condition caused chiefly by food allergies, and I have been placed on an elimination diet. This means I can only go with the vegan protein powders, so I will be giving them a second look.
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No I haven't. I should also mention that I am a cheapskate and so when I cruise the protein powder aisle at Whole Foods I dismiss the higher priced versions out of hand (which of course includes the vegan versions), but that may be pennywise and pound foolish (hey! I made a pun).

The pea protein was cheap but unflavored so I shied away from buying that.

Having said all that, casein isn't an option now because I have contracted a rare disease known as EoE. This is a chronic condition caused chiefly by food allergies, and I have been placed on an elimination diet. This means I can only go with the vegan protein powders, so I will be giving them a second look.

The fermented one is good for pre/probiotic flora in the gut and may help with your condition (just a thought).

I like the tropic tango flavour Vega (because it's easy to find berry or chocolate flavours in most vegan proteins) - here's their website with some yummy smoothie recipes in it: http://myvega.com/

Also a yummy one that I just ran out of is Garden Of Life RAW vegan non-soy protein in Chocolate. This one isn't cheap though, and neither is the Genuine Health Greens+ fermented one. There are also protein powders from pumpkin seeds, and from hemp - again not cheap. I've had the hemp one in a sample pack, can't bring myself to spend that much yet. Haven't tried the pumpkin seed one. Not sure about the carbs in those two, I don't remember. The others are all quite low.

• TristaOnTrack
    TristaOnTrack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Trista, and I've just joined the group. I went gluten free about 5-6 years ago now and it pretty much eliminated my IBS symptoms. I look forward to getting to know you guys!