Electrolyte tabs or homemade mix recomendations

Options
Archon2
Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
I'm looking for an affordable electrolyte tab brand or powder recommendations to try out.

Or, a homemade recipe? I assume NaCL and KCl are needed...but I'm not sure about the proportions. Not sure what else. Maybe sea salt is good too as a base? Avoid normal table salt? Flavorings?

I Googled a bit, but nothing seemed to stand out.

I usually bring just water, and sometimes a little Gatorade, but I think this is affecting my endurance on mountain bike rides that go longer than two hours due to all the mineral losses when sweating. Plus, I don't always want the sugar that you get in sports drinks.

Replies

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like NUUN tablets but there are several good options out there. You can get them online I'm sure but I get them at Whole Foods or Hyvee.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use a commercial sports drink but dilute it 50:50 with water and add a bit more squash. The commercial ones are formulated for gym work, there is not enough water for road/trail work.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I tend to use Zero Highs tabs, or if I run out, just normal fruit squash with a bit of table salt in it...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Zero High tabs for short (but hot) rides.

Over two hours sports energy drink diluted with water to top up bottle(s).
    There's a huge variation in calorie loads for sports drinks - Powerade is pretty low (80 cal per 500ml).

Just a thought - are you sure it's the electrolytes and not just lack of calories causing endurance problems?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-electrolyte-drink-20-tabs/
    or
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/science-in-sport-go-hydro-tablets-20-tablets/

for me - though, to be fair Wiggles own brand ones aren't too bad - palatable and I've not had any problems with cramping up on the indoor trainer when using them)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-nutrition-hydration-tabs-20-tablets/

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Personally, if it's an endurance problem I always look at calories. Energy is energy, and it can only come from calories. Caffeine can help give you kick, but it's hard to find energy without calories.

If it's cramps, then that's when I look to electrolytes, and I go for the highest sodium levels I can find. Skratch Labs stuff has worked very well for me. The new gatorade endurance stuff looks promising, but I can't find it in reasonable portion sizes near me as yet.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    +1 Skratch Labs.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    +1 for Skratch Labs.

Also, I've always read that commercial sports drinks shouldn't be diluted, generally speaking. If they are then they don't have enough electrolytes. But I guess whatever works. I go with Skratch because it has the electrolytes without all the sugar and associated gut rot.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like Carbo Rocket.

And yeah, I've read that diluting is bad, even drinking water from a separate bottle can mean you aren't getting enough electrolytes for the amount of water you intake.
  • Archon2
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations - I plan to try some of these ideas.
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just a thought - are you sure it's the electrolytes and not just lack of calories causing endurance problems?

I do eat beforehand, and often have a small 100 cal energy bar in the middle of these rides. I think it is low electrolytes as the feeling is more like muscle cramping and an overall slowdown. Since I'm drinking mostly just water, I think I am simply losing too many salts. In fact, it dries up like a fine powder on my face and head, which I can feel before hitting the shower.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations - I plan to try some of these ideas.
    sijomial wrote: »

I do eat beforehand, and often have a small 100 cal energy bar in the middle of these rides. I think it is low electrolytes as the feeling is more like muscle cramping and an overall slowdown. Since I'm drinking mostly just water, I think I am simply losing too many salts. In fact, it dries up like a fine powder on my face and head, which I can feel before hitting the shower.

I am like this even after a 13 mile commute in high 90> degree temps. Because of the shorter distance. I tend to just drink Mio flavored water. I hope you get it sorted out, Archon.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just stumbled across these gu hydration tabs at my local running shop. They taste as good as any tablet I've tried, but have 320mg sodium per tablet, which is pretty high. They are NOT the same as Gu Brew, which is much more common (at least in my area).

https://guenergy.com/shop/hydration-drink-tabs

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Archon2 You could also try some Hammer Endurolyte capsules. I use them some on really hot or humid days but my main cycling partner, a competitive mountain bike racer for 30+ years, swears by them and pretty much exclusively hydrates with just these and water. He has lots of problems with cramps when he doesn't.

Lots of bicycle shops carry them and, at least in my area, REI seems to generally have them in stock as well.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Another vote for NUUN-- if only for habit and I can get it most anywhere now.

On a side note, I've been having better luck avoiding caffeinated ones-- not for hydration, but helps me avoid the bonk.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Haven't used them yet but got a box of Gu gel and also ordered Skratch electrolyte drink. Will try out Thursday!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    There is no need for electrolyte unless you have a health reason (see http://sportsscientists.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise-part-i-history-of-fluid-intake-and-a-conflict-of-interest/). You're just throwing money away on something that might be a deterrent to performance; it's definitely money down the drain. If you are getting cramps, it's probably not the lack or having excess electrolytes that is the main problem. No one really knows for sure but speculate the spilling of electrons out of the cellular walls, aka fatigue, is the body's subconscious signal to protect itself. Try TUMS; it neutralizes the acidity caused by excess electrons in the system. For muscle soreness, I keep ibuprofen on hand to get me home. And drink water when your body needs it.

Eating while riding preserves your limited glycogen stores (sufficient to propel you for approximately 2 hours of rigorous activity and its exhaustion is the main cause of the bonk) but the duration is highly dependent on the intensity level. Good mark is to consume 200-300 Cal for every 90-120 minutes of moderate intensity and train your body to rely on fat stores (which are near infinite in comparison). YMMV so experiment and listen to your body.

Caffeine is awesome for cycling; it jump start my system. Haven't try it mid ride but definitely another boost after the ride.
  • Archon2
    Options
    I'm going to drink some electrolytes with my drink anyway, kc! ;)

Seriously, I find the the theory that you need to replenish some salts in endurance athletics more compelling than the arguments in the article you linked. And keep in mind that I was a mostly water-drinker on long rides and feel that I have avoided some cramping when drinking sports drinks. Since I am still trying to watch caloric intake, the thought in my head is to go for the electrolytes without sugar mostly to avoid the cramping I have experienced on long rides.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Hammer Endurolytes are what I go to most of the time. Heed by Hammer is another good one but for really long rides, I'll swap bottles of Fizz and Perpetuam.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    I'm going to drink some electrolytes with my drink anyway, kc! ;)

Seriously, I find the the theory that you need to replenish some salts in endurance athletics more compelling than the arguments in the article you linked. And keep in mind that I was a mostly water-drinker on long rides and feel that I have avoided some cramping when drinking sports drinks. Since I am still trying to watch caloric intake, the thought in my head is to go for the electrolytes without sugar mostly to avoid the cramping I have experienced on long rides.
    I have to agree. I have chronic cramping issues in my lower body and I can tell immediately when I'm getting dehydrated. I always drink some sort of electrolyte when I ride. I like Scratch for all day rides and Nuun tablets for shorter rides. I also try to eat a lot on long rides. At least 150 calories every 10-15 miles.