Anyone following GF/dairy free/soy free diet? or Paleo?

Options
HeidiSmith419
HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
Hi! Just looking for a few diaries to follow. Paleo is even ok! I have been on here like 1180 days I think? 170lbs down. 30 to go. 2nd skin surgery in the fall. I'm 39.

PCOS is now undetectable in labs but I still have some symptoms I want to control with diet. I'm also a type 2 diabetic though my a1c is back to normal now with medication.

Would prefer frequent food diary loggers obviously. :)

Include a message for me that you found me here if you can. Or a little about yourself (if you don't have your bio filled out.) I keep my friend list small and like to know who I'm adding.

Thanks!! Look forward to meeting you!

Heidi

Replies

• jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Heidi! I eat GF. I have for a long time, but there are still plenty of things that are GF that get me into trouble. Wine most specifically, but potatoes and corn too. I am not dairy free, but I have cut back considerably. I eat mostly to quell my PCOS symptoms, but if you have any GF questions, I've been living this lifestyle for awhile.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I cut it out almost a year ago and have kinda already worked through (almost! Lol) all the "bad" GF products out there. High glycemic super processed foods. No questions really, just looking for like minded diaries to share. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm eating ketogenic (5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat), but I've gotten to a state where I'm not tracking stringently. I haven't used my diary regularly since March/April. I can tell you most of my days involve what I call LOADED TEA (it's a combo of the bullet proof ideas and the primal ideas for coffee) for breakfast. I'm tempted to try the Rocket Fuel Latte from www.healthfulpursuit.com. If you don't have a good resource for your way of eating, that website is GOLD... I do leftovers or eggs and bacon for lunches, and dinner is generally some kind of meat with a sauce or a taco salad, etc. I can post the ideas I regularly use for meals if you're interested. I'm mostly gluten/grain free by default, I'm not dairy free at all but am researching it, and I'm soy free because it tears me up, but I don't scour product lists to exclude soy usually. I don't buy a whole lot of processed foods anymore anyway.
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I cut it out almost a year ago and have kinda already worked through (almost! Lol) all the "bad" GF products out there. High glycemic super processed foods. No questions really, just looking for like minded diaries to share. ;)

Yay! Feel free to stalk mine anytime.
  • amkasada86
    amkasada86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am dairy free, gluten free, and only 26g of sugar a day. It sounds extreme but it is actually working for me! I am down 30lbs in 6 months!!!!!! For the first time in my life I'm experiencing a downward trend in weight loss!!!!!! I log EVERYTHING. The good, the bad AND the ugly...all is logged! If I stay true to eating right and walking everyday, I usually see a loss. If I see I've gone up on the scale, I go back a couple days looking at what I ate and can usually find something with a hidden gluten inside. The number on the scale used to own me and my day. If the number was up... BAD DAY!!!! I will not allow myself that stress any more and use that number as a point of reference. Even my Chiropracter has noted less inflammation in my joints and in my back! I'm excited to FINALLY have something that works.
  • LilithGetsHealthy
    LilithGetsHealthy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the group but I wanted to say I attempted to control my PCOS symptoms through diet for many years. I was vegan for a long time, I went gluten free, dairy free, low-carb, no added sugar etc.

Nothing worked. Nothing. I finally moved to a state with better medical benefits and talked to a very good doctor, and she said that while she supports my efforts to be healthy, it wasn't my fault that nothing worked because PCOS is, in the end, a hormone disorder. Whatever it is actually caused by aside, the hormone imbalance is at fault.

I do find that consuming soy can make things better or worse depending on whether or not I'm having a heavy bleed, and I don't eat dairy for rheumatoid reasons.

I was put on progesterone. I don't know how long I'll be on it, because it was to stop my long-term bleed to get a clear vaginal ultrasound (which is in a week or so) but I can tell you this: of all of the years I've been struggling, of all of the years I'd hoped and tried to convince myself diet and exercise were helping, I have NEVER felt as good as I do right now, on these progesterone pills.

I have hirsutism and it's only been a week but I've gone from having to shave twice or three times a day to once in the morning and it's not anywhere near as bad as it was. My anxiety (which was extremely bad) has reduced drastically. And this may be TMI but my sex drive is back.

So all I can say is.. go to the doctor. Go to a GOOD doctor. Get your hormones sorted out. There's no magic diet cure or help for PCOS, though it's certainly good to be healthy so lose weight, eat well and get into shape. That can only help. But it will not solve your problems.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the group but I wanted to say I attempted to control my PCOS symptoms through diet for many years. I was vegan for a long time, I went gluten free, dairy free, low-carb, no added sugar etc.

Nothing worked. Nothing. I finally moved to a state with better medical benefits and talked to a very good doctor, and she said that while she supports my efforts to be healthy, it wasn't my fault that nothing worked because PCOS is, in the end, a hormone disorder. Whatever it is actually caused by aside, the hormone imbalance is at fault.

I do find that consuming soy can make things better or worse depending on whether or not I'm having a heavy bleed, and I don't eat dairy for rheumatoid reasons.

I was put on progesterone. I don't know how long I'll be on it, because it was to stop my long-term bleed to get a clear vaginal ultrasound (which is in a week or so) but I can tell you this: of all of the years I've been struggling, of all of the years I'd hoped and tried to convince myself diet and exercise were helping, I have NEVER felt as good as I do right now, on these progesterone pills.

I have hirsutism and it's only been a week but I've gone from having to shave twice or three times a day to once in the morning and it's not anywhere near as bad as it was. My anxiety (which was extremely bad) has reduced drastically. And this may be TMI but my sex drive is back.

So all I can say is.. go to the doctor. Go to a GOOD doctor. Get your hormones sorted out. There's no magic diet cure or help for PCOS, though it's certainly good to be healthy so lose weight, eat well and get into shape. That can only help. But it will not solve your problems.

While I do agree with most of this, I do want to point out that there's no "magic" anything, even pills, on a general level. Such is the way with syndromes, which are, by definition, a group of symptoms.

Diet may or may not be the cure for a person. Metformin, estrogen, or progesterone may or may not be the cure. Inositol, Vitex, or Astragalus may or may not be the cure. It may take a combination of the known solutions.

I do agree, get a good doctor. I recommend seeking out an Endocrinologist. Even just having them as part of your support system, and someone you can go to for blood tests, is huge.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Pretty much everything we do affects our hormones (including food). The trick is finding the things that affect the hormones that are most out of balance and improves them.

I've seen it be as simple as cutting out added sugar, or adding Metformin or progesterone. I've seen it as extreme as cutting out all carbs and adding in certain key supplements and finding Metformin counterproductive. What works and how well is as varied as the individual.

The biggest disservice you can do for yourself is dismiss a viable option out of hand, because it's not a guaranteed "magic bullet" cure.
  • PrettyandFocused
    PrettyandFocused Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    amkasada86 wrote: »
    I am dairy free, gluten free, and only 26g of sugar a day. It sounds extreme but it is actually working for me! I am down 30lbs in 6 months!!!!!! For the first time in my life I'm experiencing a downward trend in weight loss!!!!!! I log EVERYTHING. The good, the bad AND the ugly...all is logged! If I stay true to eating right and walking everyday, I usually see a loss. If I see I've gone up on the scale, I go back a couple days looking at what I ate and can usually find something with a hidden gluten inside. The number on the scale used to own me and my day. If the number was up... BAD DAY!!!! I will not allow myself that stress any more and use that number as a point of reference. Even my Chiropracter has noted less inflammation in my joints and in my back! I'm excited to FINALLY have something that works.

Hi. May I follow you? I will like to work on being dairy and gluten free. The dairy outside of cheese and ice cream, I have accomplished. I love bread products so the gluten is making it more difficult.