What exercises are safe?

Options
Good Morning MFP, my name is Charmane and I am relatively new to MFP. This is in fact the first group I have sought out and joined. I just found out 3 days ago that I am PREGNANT!!! YAY I am so excited, but I had been getting used to the idea living healthy and losing all of this extra weight I carry around. I have also decided that being pregnant does not change that fact. I think in some ways it has even made me want to make healthy choices even more. So here is my question what exercise is safe to do for such a beginner as myself? I have done a little research and know that if your active before your pregnant it is ok to continue but I had just begun being active. I would welcome any and all advice! Oh and I am 4 weeks due February 20, 2014. :happy:

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I went thru IVF so I had medical advice right from the start, regarding exercise (and everything else). It was advised that I do everything I was doing before. For me, this included walking, cycling, light weights, yoga, etc.... I used to run but stopped that as my heart rate gets really high. Some doctors are cool with that, others not so much. For me, I went "better safe than sorry" since it took us forever and a day to get pregnant.

The documentation I had said if you didn't exercise prior to pregnancy walking is the best way to get into it. Light weights and prenatal yoga too. Swimming is great (though they advised me to hold off until we heard a heartbeat--I'm not sure if that is because of the procedures related to IVF). It said you should avoid anything that you need good balance for, since changes in blood pressure can cause imbalance...so for some that means no cycling (since I did it before I was told I was fine to continue until the start of the 3rd trimester).

There are some great prenatal DVD's that go month-by-month or by trimester to keep you doing safe & appropriate exercises.

Best wishes for a happy & healthy pregnancy!