New to fitbit flex... Few Qs

Options
mnec2010
mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
Hey everyone... I recently got a fitbit flex and I love it but I'm still trying to work out a couple kinks.. I'm confused about the following

- my fitness pal and my fitbit says two different calorie counts. Even though they are synced... For example yesterday I had 200 Cal's left according to my fitness pal. But my fitbit app said I was over. What am I missing?

- my fitness pal takes my steps and concerts them to exercise calories therefore adding more to my daily amount. Should I be eating these back?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal & follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

If (and only if) you enable negative adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

Do not log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl gave you the basics. For more in-depth information, see the FAQ that heybales wrote:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

Also, if there is a significant difference between calories left at the very end of the day (i.e. midnight) then check your time zone settings for both MFP and Fitbit. People have had weird results when they were different.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fitbit always has me over, while mfp is under. I think it's because fitbit doesn't totally sync til midnight. So the numbers will be off til then. That's the very basic explanation.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Also, Fitbit prorates your calories by time of day—and goes way below 1,200 calories.