"Those people" on the main boards

Options
jpkrueger
jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
I find it so irritating when someone on the main boards asks about the 21 Day Fix, and they get a bunch of people who don't actually know anything about the program answering with a bunch of stupid comments like "what happens on day 22?" and "why would you pay $60 for overpriced tupperware?". I think this program is fantastic, and in this group I have seen such amazing successes. I hate to see people be dissuaded from researching further when this could be the answer they are seeking.

When I am in a stupid enough mood to take the bait (like tonight), I calmly explain that there's a lot more to the program than the containers, that yes some people can lose weight just by counting CICO but others need a more structured program of nutrition and exercise and this one gets results and is very healthy. And if you have an active coach, you can participate in challenge groups which can really help. I encourage the OP to do his/her own research. I tell them about this group where people have done so well. No one wants to listen to the facts, though, it's more entertaining to shoot down every program that is not CICO, whether or not they know anything about it.

I'm not upset, and I don't take it at all personally - I just think it's ignorant and I felt like venting to people who would understand! Have any of you seen the type of posts I'm referring to?

Replies

• germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @jpkrueger I am glad to say that I have not seen them *hope not to jinx myself here* but I can definitely understand your frustration with ignorance. Some folks just need to talk others/ other things down to make themselves feel better about themselves or what they have- sad but true
  • jpkrueger
    Options
    Very true! I see that a lot on the main board....some people are just flat out mean when people ask questions. Guess that's why I mostly keep to our friendly group!!!!
  • noelleyaya
    noelleyaya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've seen some of those - that's why I came here :) I am not expecting it to end at day 22, but make it a lifestyle. People are stuck in their ways, so I would just take it with a grain of salt!
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have not seen those exact posts but I have seen where some people are flat out mean and rude when someone asks an innocent question. I try to stay off the main boards and stick to this group if I have a question. You guys are really helpful and supportive.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't engage. I don't even encourage the OP with "it's a great program" or anything like that. I just say "We have a great group here on MFP for people using the program where we share tips, recipes, and our success stories." Then I add a link to this group and I'm done. I don't even check the message board after that. Odds are some online troll thinks I'm a beachbody coach trying to recruit people. As it is, I'm just interested in letting others know that this group is here to offer the support that is too often missing from the general boards.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I took the bait the other day. Mostly because it was several people "ganging up" on a newbie thread. Whether it's in jest on their part or not, why discourage someone who's barely started?! I just wanted to make sure the person knew that they weren't "stupid" for buying the program. But yes, there are a lot of trolls out there and the best thing to do is not waste breath on them.
  • jpkrueger
    Options
    Exactly, @rumijs , I hate to see people miss out on REAL information just because of someone who is trying to be clever. But I should stop taking the bait... @SatiaRenee yours sounds like a good strategy also.

What a great group we have :)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't like the insinuation that anyone who does it has been fleeced... that makes me angry. I did respond to one the other day before the pile on (I believe that I said that if you wanted to outlay the money, it's a well structured program with nutrition and exercise). I tend not to engage after the pile on, because I've found that diet/nutrition/exercise is too much like religion, and there's often only one "right" way in each person's head.

Personally, I find counting calories tedious. It makes me crazy, fairly literally, in that I obsess, and it becomes more about what *kitten* can I fit in my calorie allotment today, vs. how can I fuel my body to do the things I want to do. It's no a healthy place for me. Once I'm done the program, I'll probably add in a little more alcohol, but otherwise continue with the eating plan, and very likely the exercise videos (I'm too lazy to get to the gym and make up a program, this is easier).

I'm glad that someone linked to this group for me, as I had made a request to find the group!
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't really post on the main boards because of this. ugh!
  • rumijs
    Options
    @Katiebear_81 haha yes, fitness is like religion and politics. I don't mention it unless it's brought up first and even then I answer without giving a real answer to what I believe.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. I must be the only one who looked at the schedule of 21 Day Fix and then looked at her DVD collection and said, "Hey! I could totally recreate this schedule using my personal library."

I seriously could. I have cardio DVDs and DVDs that focus on upper body and/or lower body. I have ab workouts and Pilates and Yoga workouts. They aren't necessarily designed with the same training principles as Autumn uses but I could conceivably redesign the program with the resources I have on hand. Would it be as effective? I don't know. But I thought about it when I first was doing 21DF and wondering what I would do when I became bored with the program.

Then Mother's Day came along and my daughter gave me Slim in 6 and my son and his family gave me Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution. And my husband later decided to go ahead and get me 21 Day Fix Extreme and Focus T25. So now I'm not worried about recreating the program.

But I know (or at least think) I could, if necessary.
  • rumijs
    Options
    SatiaRenee wrote: »
    Uh oh. I must be the only one who looked at the schedule of 21 Day Fix and then looked at her DVD collection and said, "Hey! I could totally recreate this schedule using my personal library."

I seriously could. I have cardio DVDs and DVDs that focus on upper body and/or lower body. I have ab workouts and Pilates and Yoga workouts. They aren't necessarily designed with the same training principles as Autumn uses but I could conceivably redesign the program with the resources I have on hand. Would it be as effective? I don't know. But I thought about it when I first was doing 21DF and wondering what I would do when I became bored with the program.

Then Mother's Day came along and my daughter gave me Slim in 6 and my son and his family gave me Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution. And my husband later decided to go ahead and get me 21 Day Fix Extreme and Focus T25. So now I'm not worried about recreating the program.

But I know (or at least think) I could, if necessary.

I actually thought about it too. But I'm also someone who would rather have the actual thing. It's a mental thing for me more than anything. I'd feel like I was missing out on some big thing if I didn't...you know, FOMO ;)