New to using FitBit

Options
suzeexoxo
suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
I recently bought FitBit ... How accurate is daily calories burned reported to MFP? For example, I have my MFP settings at Sedentary and want to lose 1.5lbs per week it has my calories set to 1200, FitBit has synced and added 500 of daily activity burn (I haven't exercised just my daily activity). Can I eat what I've burned and still reach my goal?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you haven't set your rate of loss too high. There is a limit to how fast your body can lose fat and you shouldn't want to lose lean weight (i.e. muscle). So, don't try to lose more than 1/2 pound per week for every 25 pounds you have to lose. So, 1.5 lbs per week is for someone who has more than 75 pounds to lose.

Make sure you have negative adjustments enabled in MFP. That will ensure that you don't overeat on days when you are inactive.

Depending on how active you actually were, a 500 calorie adjustment is not that unusual when MFP is set to Sedentary, unless you really do sit around all day. Get that recommended 10K steps or more, and you'll see a significant adjustment.

Most of us find that our Fitbits are pretty darn good at estimating our daily calories burned. Trust yours for a few weeks, log your food accurately, and see if you're losing at the expected rate.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    First, make sure you haven't set your rate of loss too high. There is a limit to how fast your body can lose fat and you shouldn't want to lose lean weight (i.e. muscle). So, don't try to lose more than 1/2 pound per week for every 25 pounds you have to lose. So, 1.5 lbs per week is for someone who has more than 75 pounds to lose.

Make sure you have negative adjustments enabled in MFP. That will ensure that you don't overeat on days when you are inactive.

Depending on how active you actually were, a 500 calorie adjustment is not that unusual when MFP is set to Sedentary, unless you really do sit around all day. Get that recommended 10K steps or more, and you'll see a significant adjustment.

Most of us find that our Fitbits are pretty darn good at estimating our daily calories burned. Trust yours for a few weeks, log your food accurately, and see if you're losing at the expected rate.

Great info! I have about 30 lbs to lose.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    I have about 30 lbs to lose.

Then 1.5 lb. per week is way too aggressive a goal. Undereating will not get you to goal any more quickly. In fact, it usually leads to bingeing.

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.
  • suzeexoxo
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    I have about 30 lbs to lose.

Then 1.5 lb. per week is way too aggressive a goal. Undereating will not get you to goal any more quickly. In fact, it usually leads to bingeing.

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.

Awesome thanks!