28/6/15

Options
maoribadger
maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
Weekend check in ladies how are we all

Im shattered. I slept 6pm-7pm, 730pm-830pm then 9pm-730am today and I could still cheerfully take a nap. Not sure if its because I trained 6 days or not this week or something else.

In addition am worried I may have a stress fracture in my shin. Its so sore to touch and i knocked it on the weights bench today and nearly cried

Other than that Im fine, hows you

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lise - I have days I feel like that. 6 hours seems to be my break point. Between 4.5 to 6 hours, I'm a little tired, but functional. Above 8 hours, I'm golden. But 6-8 hours is my danger zone. I feel worse on 6.5 than on 4! Ugh. And yes, if you training those 6 days but didn't get enough protein/fuel, it could wear you down. All that muscle stress and such can up your cortisol which can interrupt your sleep and weight loss and all that... Time for some yoga or meditation perhaps?

I am so sorry to hear that it might be a stress fracture!! Get K2 with your calcium to help with absorption. Did you know that without K2 (found in supplements or in GRASSFED butter), our bodies don't know to tell the calcium to go into our bones? (our bodies can convert it from K1, which we get much more of, but the body is really inefficient at converting!!) How stupid is that??? I'm hoping that whatever it is heals quickly. I have had severe shin splints before, and I've broken my ankle, and while not really comparable, I think I'd rather the fracture. Because bones heal faster and more fully than tendons, ligaments, and muscles, in my experience! BLECH regardless.

As for me, I had a decent weekend. Almost to the end of Season 3 on Sherlock, which I've absolutely loved, as my BF told me I would. I grew up watching Dr. Who, Faulty Towers, Monty Python, and the like, so this is right up my alley. I love them bringing the character to modern times. So fun. The American version (Elementary) is nowhere near the quality, in my experience thus far! LOL

Discovered that even a bit of sugar makes me start having mental triggers for binging - that crap is so annoying! We picked up a dark chocolate that was far sweeter than our normal because it was about half the cost. Won't make that mistake again. We both prefer the bittersweet taste these days.

Aside from that, we had bacon and eggs each morning, and it held us over to dinner! It was quite the pleasant eating experience otherwise...

Can't recall if I posted, but got decent progress report after my PT appointment on Thursday (for the pelvic floor stuff), but not overly looking forward to progressing, as it all ends up hurting! Damned muscle building. LOL

Aside from that, just on my no-scale challenge still...not much else here...
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Well shin pain has settled a bit so fingers crossed it was nothing its a little sore to touch but not on walking now so the ice and brufen seems to have done the trick. Gonna try a gentle jog tomorrow or weds and see how it stands up to it. Could have been some strain from the new runners on bits of leg not used to taking the stress I guess. But wow was it ever sore.

Glad you are making progress in PT as well. Its almost like reinjuring yourself I find and having to heal from fresh
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Well shin pain has settled a bit so fingers crossed it was nothing its a little sore to touch but not on walking now so the ice and brufen seems to have done the trick. Gonna try a gentle jog tomorrow or weds and see how it stands up to it. Could have been some strain from the new runners on bits of leg not used to taking the stress I guess. But wow was it ever sore.

Glad you are making progress in PT as well. Its almost like reinjuring yourself I find and having to heal from fresh

I had quite forgotten about the new shoes!!! I bet that was a huge contributing factor. It's crazy how much our bodies compensate for when we don't do things in good form. For example, I'm having to do hip rolls and tucks because my abdomen stretched out so much accommodating my huge stomach for so long that my whole pelvic tilt is directed backward when it should me forward. All because my body compensated for my gut.... And it feels so wrong because I've done it wrong for so long.

Personally, I would work on some major stretching (even yoga/pilates, perhaps) for a day or 3 before attemping to jog again. Really isolate those weakness areas.

In this case, with the PT, it is a case of having injured myself, not been given proper instruction on recovery, making the condition worse for 15 years in my ignorance, and now trying to recover 15 years of damage compounded by a traumatic trigger, and muscle/tendon issues along the way. I can't fathom at all what normal will feel like if I get there - as if I ever was normal, it's too long ago to remember... It is he!!, too, because the muscles are internal, and when they seize and cramp, there isn't a way to directly stretch it out... SIGH...