Is not gaining weight a problem?

Options
SarahSams1
SarahSams1 Posts: 4 Member
I was up to 205 lbs when I got pregnant and had just decided to make a change (started going to the gym and using MFP). I'm 11 weeks now, and I'm actually down 2 lbs. Is this bad? Should I be trying to gain weight, or does the fact that I was getting pretty badly overweight before conceiving mean it's okay?

Replies

• katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor, but I was overweight when I got pregnant too... I didn't actively try to lose weight when I found out we were expecting but happened to lose some weight between appointments at weeks 10 and 14. My doctor told me it was fine to lose a little bit up until week 20... I think losing a bit in the first tri is fairly common and as long as you are being sensible (ie: eating healthy food/making healthier choices and not restricting calories) it is probably not something to lose sleep over. However, I would still discuss with your doctor :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    In the first trimester it is very common for women not to gain, or even to lose (usually due to morning sickness) even if they start at a "normal" weight (if only I had that problem!). So at this point you shouldn't worry at all. After all 2 lbs is nothing - my weight will fluctuate that much day to day due to water changes. After the first trimester if you are overweight it is normal to maintain, or gain less than the typically recommended 25-35 lbs, but talk to your doc at your next visit to determine what your target should be. Losing some weight due to making healthier choices is generally a good thing, so long as baby is growing appropriately. But at this stage I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would not worry. I have two friends who were also around 200 pounds when they got pregnant and they ended up losing weight or not gaining during their pregnancies. Their doctors were fine with it because of their starting weight, my best friend was told she shouldn't actually gain any weight during her whole pregnancy (she was probably around 220 at that time). But of course talk to your doctor. Good luck!!
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was 211 when I got pregnant and initially lost weight as well (I think the lowest I got to was around 208). I didn't actually start gaining any weight until around week 16-17 and even then it was close to my starting 211 weight. Like mentioned, talk with your doctor. They personally only want to see me gain 11-20 pounds the whole pregnancy so it would make sense to see the gains slower.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Dr told me that being overweight, I should gain around 15lbs. No gain or losses in 1st trimester are expected. He also said that our weight is just an indirect correlation with the development of the baby and the stuff that comes with it (placenta, amniotic fluid ect), what he really looks at is the growth of the baby when he does ultrasounds. If I don't gain weight, but he sees the baby is growing at a normal rate he will not be worried. But if the baby's growth is impaired while I am not gaining weight then he would reevaluate my food and caloric intake and activity level
  • me1r
    me1r Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm only 14 weeks. I haven't gained any weight either (not that I mind) prepregnancy weight if 185lb. I hope to just maintain through most of my pregnancy.
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had a start weight just into the obese category and my OB told me to only gain 10 pounds the whole pregnancy. Seeing as you can easily loose 20 within a couple of days of birth (baby, water, placenta, uterus shrinking back and blood volume normalising) this would actually mean a loss. I am focusing on eating as healthily as I can, cutting out anything processed as far as possible, as I want to make sure that the what I do eat is full of the right nutrients. As far as "empty calories" go, I have enough on my body already ;) I have lost 4-5 pounds so far, although it has stayed the same for a few weeks now. This is my fourth pregnancy and I had gained about 5 kg (10ish pounds) at this point with all the others, so I recon I am doing all right. I am hoping to maintain until week 20. BTW I am a medic and have done a fair bit of research into this - however, you should always consult with your own doctor.