Is this a good deal on a rack & weights on craigslist?

Options
amyaroja
amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
Can you all help me with some advice?

I'm thinking of getting my own gear for at home. In the long run, it will save me money on a gym membership and then my husband can spot me now and then.

So.. can you please go look at this ad?

http://lansing.craigslist.org/spo/3832830791.html

Is that what I need? There's no olympic bar in the photo, but he lists it. The weights look different that what's at my gym. Are they right?

Ultimately, would you buy it? :)

Thanks!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On average, when shopping around for a deal (retail) about a dollar a pound for plates seemed pretty good. Since this is that much weigh, PLUS the rack and evreything... yeah, it seems like a good price. But 700 pounds is probably way more than you'll need.
  • amyaroja
    Options
    Yeah. No doubt it's a ton of weights.

I can't do bench press
    with just this set up, can I?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at it all that close and their photos suck (dude... can't you move some of the clutter out of the way just to take the pic?!), but... could you slide a bench or even a coffee table between the uprights in the rack?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The bodycraft link lists the price as $880, not $1200.

I would talk him down a bit from his asking price--$600 or even $500.

And yeah, what a slob :)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Yeah. No doubt it's a ton of weights.

I can't do bench press
    with just this set up, can I?

You can bench semi-safely in a power rack. There's still a danger of dropping the bar on your face, but you can set the pins to catch the thing for you in case you fail at the bottom of a lift. I only bench in the rack now at the gym because I don't trust any of the regulars to spot me correctly.

Also--I can't tell from the pic if those plates have 2" holes. That's what you would need for a real Oly bar.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Those look like standard plates. Which would mean you will need a standard barbell. Which means you will eventually need to replace the weights.

Its not the worst deal ever -- Bumblebums is right that the rack ALONE is 800 dollars, but I think she missed that the lat pull down/cable attachment is included and that's worth another couple hundred dollars. You *probably* won't be using it right now but in the future you might want it. I'm personally looking to get one. But Yeah - doublecheck plate size.

Standard barbells are not able to hold as much weight as an oly bar (in fact, the only thing that makes me think they might be oly sized is that he has so many of them? Because a standard bar wouldnt' be loadable to 700 lbs. But they LOOK like standard plates. Soooo yeah, ask.)

Anyway, I think the price is pretty decent if the plates aren't standard plates. If they are...Its still decent, but not as good because it means at some point you'll need to replace them, and the bar. Like I said. You don't need the cable attachment now, but you'll probably wish you'd grabbed it later. Adn the equipment appears to be in good condition (like, it doesn't look like he used it).

:p I'd probably still ask if I could pay 600 but I'm cheap like that. Its still a bargain over a new set at 700 (it comes with the bar too right? Bar would be about 200 new -- 100 used -- so add that in as well)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I bought all new equipment for a little under $700. Flat bench, Oly bar and 300lb weights (plus extra 5lb and couple fractionals), and a short power rack I found on Amazon. My rack is basic, though, and his looks nice and has the extra attachments (lat pulldown, etc). Plus, he has a plate stand included, it looks like.

I do bench presses in the rack and feel safe. The safety bars are set as low as possible to allow me to do the full movement, but catch the bar if I drop it. I assume I'm more likely to fail trying to lift the weight back up, than dropping it when I pull it off the rack. I'm careful, since I workout at home and have no one to spot me.

Agree with others that those plates look standard, so confirm which kind they are. The stuff does look to be in good shape.
  • amyaroja
    Options
    I just found a bar and only weights 300 lbs for $60. A little rust but I think I'll buy those for now. Good, right?
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    is it an oly bar?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I just found a bar and only weights 300 lbs for $60. A little rust but I think I'll buy those for now. Good, right?

Yeah that's super sweet, cheap entry. And the plates will still be good when its time to buy a new bar. You're still going to need some kind of rack but you can probably find a half rack or something fairly cheap,f or now
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Those look like standard plates. Which would mean you will need a standard barbell. Which means you will eventually need to replace the weights.

Its not the worst deal ever -- Bumblebums is right that the rack ALONE is 800 dollars, but I think she missed that the lat pull down/cable attachment is included and that's worth another couple hundred dollars. You *probably* won't be using it right now but in the future you might want it. I'm personally looking to get one. But Yeah - doublecheck plate size.

Standard barbells are not able to hold as much weight as an oly bar (in fact, the only thing that makes me think they might be oly sized is that he has so many of them? Because a standard bar wouldnt' be loadable to 700 lbs. But they LOOK like standard plates. Soooo yeah, ask.)

Anyway, I think the price is pretty decent if the plates aren't standard plates. If they are...Its still decent, but not as good because it means at some point you'll need to replace them, and the bar. Like I said. You don't need the cable attachment now, but you'll probably wish you'd grabbed it later. Adn the equipment appears to be in good condition (like, it doesn't look like he used it).

:p I'd probably still ask if I could pay 600 but I'm cheap like that. Its still a bargain over a new set at 700 (it comes with the bar too right? Bar would be about 200 new -- 100 used -- so add that in as well)

Good point, yes, I didn't notice the cable attachment.

Unless you want the cable attachment, it's not a selling point for you. The guy probably just wants the free space in his garage, so he'll give you the cable attachment even if you negotiate the price down. I would.

But the more I look at that pic of the plates, the less they look like Olympic weights to me. You could buy just the rack from him and look for an Oly bar and weights elsewhere...
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    They definitely look like standard weights to me, so my guess is that the bar is also going to be standard, even though he's calling it "Olympic".

Which is fine, as long as it's what you want and you're willing to deal with it.

$750 is really not that bad of a price for what you're getting. But what you're not getting, is a bench, nor are you getting an Olympic bar/weight set, so it's a judgment call on your end, really. If you're fine lifting with a standard set, those will last you for like, ever, because you're probably never going to need 700 pounds worth of plates. Which means you could buy the whole thing, keep the plates you know you're going to use, and sell off the rest.

All being told, I spent about $550 altogether on a used 300 lbs Olympic set plus squat rack/bench plus plate rack plus garage floor padding plus gloves plus a curl bar plus washers for fractionals, and I haven't bought a cage yet but that's next on my list.

Which is why I do think that for $750 you can get an Olympic bar/weights plus everything else you need, and so I wouldn't be in a hurry to purchase a standard set for that price if it's not really what you want.
  • amyaroja
    Options
    You all have been SUCH a huge help! THank you!

I did jump on that other deal.. I got the olympic bar and 300 lbs of olympic weights for $60! The weights have a little rust, but no big deal.

So I'm on my way!

I'm having fun keeping a close eye on craigslist now! It's addicting. I can't believe I'm getting my own little gym. I may bump this again with another question later.

I have to say it again.. I own my own big huge bar and weights! LOL
  • DaniH826
    Options

Hey, I know the feeling. It's quite exciting, isn't it?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

Hey, I know the feeling. It's quite exciting, isn't it?

Teehee...and it's ESPECIALLY good when your young adult son's friends stop by and say "Sweet weight set and power cage, dude! Is it yours?" And the son hangs his head and mumbles "Nah, it's my mom's!"
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ha ha time to get your son lifting then!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Teehee...and it's ESPECIALLY good when your young adult son's friends stop by and say "Sweet weight set and power cage, dude! Is it yours?" And the son hangs his head and mumbles "Nah, it's my mom's!"

Yep. Everybody assumes our set is my husband's.

Nope, not so much. Step aside boys, it's my lady lair! :drinker: