New, fit bit app

Options
tazjosh
tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
sorry if I seem very dense. I'm trying to get my head round it. Do I just follow the calories on mfp not the fit bit app? They are linked and so I get the extra calories on mfp. But I'm slightly confused as my Fitbit app tells me totally different calories ( example I have 647 kcal left for today on mfp but the fit bit app I've eaten too many calories?)

Replies

• jllunsfo
    jllunsfo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the fitbit app does a kind of "live" calorie counting. It adds to your calorie burn every minute, so that it's very accurate at the end of the day. This means by lunchtime you may only have "burned" 1000 calories, but by the end of the day it could be 2000.

So if MFP tells you to eat 1500 a day, and you eat it before the end of the day, fitbit will tell you that you have eaten too much. By the end of the day, after you burned all 2000 calories, it will tell you that you are on target.

I find it to be very annoying, personally, so I only pay attention to what MFP says I should eat.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the FAQ:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

The recommendation is to log food in MFP, let your Fitbit handle step based exercise, log non-step based exercise in Fitbit, and follow the MFP recommendation for how much you can eat. While both programs should end up at about the same point by the end of the day, trying to pay attention to both is simply confusing and MFP's way of doing it is more straightforward.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks
  • tazjosh
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the FAQ:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

The recommendation is to log food in MFP, let your Fitbit handle step based exercise, log non-step based exercise in Fitbit, and follow the MFP recommendation for how much you can eat. While both programs should end up at about the same point by the end of the day, trying to pay attention to both is simply confusing and MFP's way of doing it is more straightforward.

Thanks
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and folllow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.