Chat and Accountability Jun 28- Jul 4

Hey everybody. Nothing much to say but just wanted to say I'm still around, just not doing ANYTHING I know I need to do. :(

Replies

• carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm still around also and feeling a bit that way myself Jennifer. But I have plans to change that! I am going down to the hotel gym to get in ANY KIND of a workout. More for motivation than for the effects of the workout. I am also buying a kettle bell so I can do a 10 day swing challenge. David Whitlock (of Whitlock Fitness, in the UK, he has been on our show) is doing 10,000 swings in 10 days. Folks can join him. Not me, but someone can. LOL Seriously, I am going to do 1,000 swings in 10 days. So that is 100 swings a day. I can manage that. I will start on July 3rd if anyone wants to join in.

:)
  • DevinBly
    DevinBly Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in, I'll just throw it in inbetween sets. 10 sets of 10 reps for 10 days ain't so bad. Idk about that 10k swings though....
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Jen and Carol nice to hear from you guys!
    Jen, do you know the cause of you losing motivation?

Sounds like a fun challenge but I'm actually going on vacation for 10 days starting on the 3rd lol. I'll start today and see how much I can accomplish now and throughout the vacation.
    I am looking forward to the vacation! I am going to stick to ULC which shouldn't be hard since we'll be in in Portland, Or. At least that's the goal lol.

Just want to touch on my coaching. I haven't lost any weight but I think my clothes fits better? Idk I don't remember how some of them fit before.
    Coach had me skip a CN which was last Saturday so we'll see how this week goes. She also lowered my calories a bit. For people who thinks it's all calories in calories out. I am proof that it isn't. I weigh about the same eating average 2000k a day and at 1500k. Arturo made an observation that the times I lost weight was when I was working out. He said that my energy and mood is also better when I'm working out. We think that due to the serotonin produced after a workout helped balance my hormones. I mentioned it to my coach and she thinks workout was an outlet for me.
  • Heron, I'm dealing with some personal things and any sort of weight loss or exercise is way down on my list right now. I'm just not in a great place right now.
  • JackTJr
    JackTJr Posts: 11 Member
    Going on record: after not getting on MFP since February and losing much of my motivation for health and fitness, I am back at it. ( I hope)
  • carolssalva
    OMG JT and Devin?? What a cool thing to see you guys here. So glad we could guilt JT into joining us again.

Hey Heron, good luck with the CN this week. Surely skipping one will shake things up. And Portland sounds fantastic. Keep us posted!

Jennifer, we are here for you. Just stay plugged in and we will be here when it bumps up in priority.

I'm leaving Palm Springs today. It is so lovely here. But the family and the humidity is waiting for me back in Houston. Have a great day!
  • DevinBly
    edited July 2015
    Carol: I just happen to see your post and clicked on it. So I ended up knocking out 22sets of 20 reps with 20# kettlebell yesterday in between sets. Had to do it in two separate sets though because my front delts got sore. Bodyspace only has 1arm KB swings though and I can't upload a picture. :/
  • Carol, I'll try my best. Thanks for listening to my ramblings via email.
  • heronh
    Jen, just keep trying and don't give up. Push negative thoughts that you can't control out or at least At a distance and try to focus some positive things to distract you, change your mindset. You can't control the first thoughts that Pop in your head but you can control the following thoughts. Post here more often even if you are just talking about the weather. Dig deep and find strength. Ramble away Hugs!!!!!!

Jack welcome back and you gotta throw away or donate that box of old clothes that doesn't fit you and will NEVER fit you because you will never get back to your old size ;)

Devin, In not sure I understand you post.... You had to do 2 different sets because you only have the tutorial for the one arm swing?
    Here are some tips for people who wants to try the swing... When you are at the downswing make sure the kettlebell pass your balls, knees soft, thrust with your hips, pop you pelvis out on the up swing. Never let the bell get higher than your shoulder and be careful not to hyper extend your back(pushing your pelvis too far in front) when you are on the up swing. Imagine pushing your belly button back into your spine. Keep your core in control and shoulders down. Form over quantity otherwise one can get hurt easily. I've seen people who gets fatigue and they start to raise their shoulder closer to their ears. If you find that it's getting difficult to maintain form, go lower on the weights. The power from the swing come from your lower body and core, the arms are just to hold the bell. Have fun and remember to breath!

Oh I did 50 Swings today.
  • Well at least I slept last night (first time almost a week that I got more then 3 hours). Still a bit 'blah' but not nearly as out of it as I've been.
  • DevinBly
    Heronh: No, I know how to do them. I use a workout tracking app called bodyspace and they only have the workout for 1 armed listed so I just used that. Not like it really matters because it doesn't change anything, weights and reps are still the same. I do a hybrid swing(American/Russian) where I bring the KB above eye level, but not overhead. The heaviest we have is 20lbs. Debating on using a modified KB swing and gripping a dumbbell by the end so as to get heavy.
  • heronh
    edited July 2015
    Devin, cool! Have fun with your swings. I like the hard style just my preference. Id it were me I would go ahead with the lower weight dumbbell, the motion is the same and my Kettlebell coach told me the same that if I get tired and I don't have a lighter kettlebell to just use a dumbbell to finish my set.
    Jen, glad you are getting some sleep.
    Long drive day tomorrow but we've got all we need so we won't be tempted to stop at fast food places.
  • Hey everybody. Have a safe 4th.
  • carolssalva
    Happy 4th!! (still need a kettle bell!!)
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Happy Independence Day 'Murica.
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Wishing all a Happy Independence Day!

Have not been tracking, so I have not been posting. Playing it by ear and not worrying about how many miles or minutes I am doing as long as I am doing it. Eating has been somewhat good, but made my yearly taco salad yesterday (always make it over the 4th). Yum, but calorie laden! Still on target with water consumption. Could be better in the eating/fitness dept., but crazy busy with a work deadline. Will be online all weekend working to finish this project up, plus I can take advantage of my freelancers in Argentina and Spain who aren't celebrating the holiday. Let this darn project be DONE! I am taking a good week off work once it is complete.

Carol, It does help to actually have a kettle bell in order to do the challenge. LOL I have yet to own one. Still have to finish watching you and JT. Loved what I heard and it hit home. Congrats on hitting the Masters' Home Stretch!

Hello Devin and welcome home JT!
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Forgot...
    I will join in the 1000 in 10 days, starting today. My pick is 1000 lower body reps. I have been glute focused lately and it is helping with my running and lower back/sciatica issue. Not picking one move though. It will be tough for me to get 1000 in that short a time since I do heavy weight, but I do some body weight/higher reps to mix it up.
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    So funny how small things are motivating me. While I'm still not tracking MFP had notified me that I had logged in 3 days in a row which turned into 25! Babysat my niece and nephew and bam! Missed a day :smirk: Kids! Super fun to take them to the cottage and play around. So tiring though!!!! And I think hubby and I are content with our decision not to reproduce LOL.

I have to say that the water challenge was awesome and TOTALLY helped. My minimum of 2L (or 64oz) was perfect and I really love water. I think I may even start having more in the morning before coffee (just have 16oz now).

Otherwise my goals are just to be more conscious about what and why I'm eating and MOVE :wink:

We had Canada day July 1st so I hope all you enjoy your 4th of July!!!

Oh and great challenge on 1000 in 10 days! I don't have a kettlebell but I'll think of something!

And thanks to whoever posted about the podcast Happier! It prompted me to read her book Happier at Home (on the wait list for The Happiness Project) and it was so amazing to have insight into my own happiness. I really did learn a bunch about myself (and have more insight into my husband) and could implement things already. I'm going to want to buy them when I see them at a used bookstore :)
  • carolssalva
    Great to see you guys doing such fan stuff! Angela, I don't have a kettle bell either. But I guess I'll get one or think of something also.

Happy Belated Canada Day & Happy Birthday America!
  • carolssalva