Fitbit and the treadmill

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
I posted this on the regular MFP site and folks recommended I post here. I've had my FitbitCharge HR since early May, and it's been fairly accurate in step counting, as I take daily walks on a regular route and it's spot on for mileage and steps. Today it was hot, so I decided to use the treadmill at my gym. I was on the treadmill for an hour, and it gave me half the step count that I'd get on an hour's walk. Typically, I get 8000 steps for an hour (3 miles), but got less than 4000 on the treadmill, even though I was doing a light jog part of the time, so you'd think I'd be putting in more steps.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, it takes less exertion on the treadmill than it does walking normally outside.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Were you holding onto the handrails?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Were you holding onto the handrails?

me?

Sometimes i did, to keep my balance when i was walking too fast.

• NancyN795
    Options
    No, I meant rosebette, since she had so many steps missed.

I'm hoping to get a treadmill soon and I know I'm going to have to work to train myself to not need to hold on.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Other point - light jog is usually going to have longer stride than walking, so less steps per mile actually, certainly not the same number of steps.

But, half the steps, probably not, so still another issue.

Like holding on to the treadmill HR sensor so you could see the HR on the screen and compare to Fitbit perhaps?
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I use the treadmill, I try to hold on with just one hand when I need to hold on. I keep my Fitbit arm free. That seems to work better with the step count.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Even if it misses treadmill steps (as I have heard it does), it will take your heart rate into account in calculating your burn. My gym is at a mall, so I just mall walk so I capture every step.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I don't know how people manage to type/read when they're walking at a decent speed on the treadmill... I did that one time, and it didn't end well :flushed:
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I use the One. :) Doesn;t miss steps on a treadmill desk.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I don't know how people manage to type/read when they're walking at a decent speed on the treadmill... I did that one time, and it didn't end well :flushed:

I don't think I could type. I can probably read. However, if/when I get a treadmill, I'll probably mostly use it while listening to podcasts and/or watching videos. I love my standing desk, but I don't think I'm ready for a treadmill desk.
  • RunnerDench
    RunnerDench Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Generally I was taught it's pretty counterproductive to for your running form and calorie burn if you hold on to the treadmill rail. I just started using my Charge HR, and my morning treadmill workout was fine. If anything, I feel like the tracker overshot my cal burn, and slightly underestimated the distance. The steps seem fine, though.

I read and sometimes even answer emails on my iPad when I'm on my treadmill. Never during the hard run portion (during which I usually take off my glasses and focus on maintaining proper form and enjoying my music), always in either brisk walk or cooldown phases :smiley:
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I have a One. It works great with a treadmill. I can read fairly easy if I am walking under 4.0 mph on the treadmill and type. Above that it's really tough.

And yea, I find it very counterproductive to hold onto the rails. Plus I feel you lose some of the workout by relieving weight and holding your arms in place.
  • RunnerDench
    RunnerDench Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    Plus I feel you lose some of the workout by relieving weight and holding your arms in place.

Exactly! :smile:

• NancyN795
    Options
    I'm sure it's better to not hold onto the treadmill rail. But, I'm a klutz and I've never used a treadmill. So, I suspect that rail is going to be very tempting.
  • caroll4237
    caroll4237 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who attaches his fitbit to his ankle when using his recumbent bike. He gets more activity that way.
  • grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    GabinkaP wrote: »
    When I use the treadmill, I try to hold on with just one hand when I need to hold on. I keep my Fitbit arm free. That seems to work better with the step count.

I did the same this week as I noticed when I grabbed the hand rails a majority of my steps were not counted. Since I have let my fitbit arm swing when walking, it seems more accurate.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

It depends on speed. If I'm walking 3-4 mph, I will read and respond to text messages, Facebook, etc. while on the treadmill. I also have music running from my phone so I can control it either on the phone screen or from buttons on my earbuds. If I'm running 6-7 mph, I can read but have trouble typing anything that makes sense. I'll still control music, but since my phone has a lock screen that activates if I don't touch it for 20-30 seconds, it is usually just easier to use the buttons on the earbuds because I don't have to unlock the phone to select different music. I can still pause (or play something previously paused) music, though, from the lock screen.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    caroll4237 wrote: »
    I have a friend who attaches his fitbit to his ankle when using his recumbent bike. He gets more activity that way.

And while that may allow seeing more steps than normally seen on hip, it's usually only going to see one foot going down, not both as in a step.

And besides that reduction in non-"steps" - the calorie burn formula is based on walking/running steps - calorie burn won't be a good estimate at all with non-step based exercise.

Just want to include that caveat incase some thinks it's a good idea to increase accuracy, which it doesn't enough.