New Garmin 225 Watch calorie totals way high

Options
5512bf
5512bf Posts: 389 Member
I broke down and brought the new Gamin 225 watch yesterday and ran with it today. I had always used runkeeper before to log my runs but installed Garmin Connect to better track all the data from the watch. I thought I had it all setup correctly but after my 9 mile run this morning and syncing to myfitnesspal it had my run at something like 2600 calories plus another 500 or so adjustment from general activity thoughout the morning. I know this cannot be right because based off all my previous runs 9 miles should be abut 1400 calories or so. Is this common with Garmin devices? I tried to search out the other forums but I'm not getting any results. Do the activity tracker double up on the run if it's still on?

Replies

• KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 620 and have never had that problem. It consistently tracks at less than the amounts calculated by map my run and my fitness pal.

Sorry, that is very frustrating.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above, I find for running the 620 always reports a more conservative number as compared to MFP or Strava, and in the case of Strava that's kind of odd since Strava uses data from the Garmin device. I feed MFP direct from Garmin Connect.

• 5512bf
    Options
    Ha, I found the problem. According to my watch I weigh 410 lbs.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    Ha, I found the problem. According to my watch I weigh 410 lbs.

Haha, that's golden. Glad you figured out the problem!
  • 5512bf
    Options
    Today's 4 mile run was much closer to what I had expected. I had originally had the watch set to Kilo's by mistake and 186 = 410 LBS. When i switched the settings it automatically adjusted the weight.
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love that! The only time it pays to weigh 410.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Suddenly E V E R Y O N E weighs 410! It's all about beer after all.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    LOL! Other than that, how do you like the 225? I have a 220 and am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    LOL! Other than that, how do you like the 225? I have a 220 and am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it.

I've got the 225 - love it! But I have nothing to compare it to, as it's my first HRM.
  • 5512bf
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

My old watch was about 6 years old so most of my satisfaction is based on a lot of new technology. I really like all the data and the fact i don't have to wear the HR monitor. I would typically only wear the monitor on the short runs as it would rub some under my arms on my longer runs and get uncomfortable. I did wear my old watch and monitor on a 5 mile run to see how well the HR compared and it was remarkably accurate. The battery life is good and I really like all the activity monitor data it provides along with the sleep monitor. I like the fact i don't need to switch out my foot pod on each of the 3-4 pairs of shoes I run with since it has the built-in accelerometer for cadence. I don't run much on an indoor track or treadmill in the summer but in the winter I do. I think having the HR monitor available on ALL my runs along with the activity tracking feature and calorie adjustments will allow me more accurate calorie logging in MFP. Normally i'd just plug all my miles and times into runkeeper and take that total to log. I did a 10.5 mile run today and that calculator figured 1552 calories while the Garmin calculated 1350. Chances are I was over eating quite a few calories over the past year using that method.

Overall I love the watch, the only downside is it is for running only. I like to cross train on my bike and to swim, and there isn't a bike or swim mode to this watch. It's certainly not a deal breaker since i have my old watch for those activities. Another very small humorous things is the the watch will beep at you a few times a day and tell you to move, which I know i can turn off. It's just funny it tells you to do that only a few hours after doing a 10 mile run.