Keto Flu & Slow to see results

Options
MelodySmith511
MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Hi, I've been eating Keto for approx 6 weeks & it's tough right now. I love eating low carb, but now that I'm really focusing on my macros 75% fat/20% protein/5% carb, I think I'm experiencing Keto flu. I initially lost 10 lbs the 1st 2 weeks, but the scale & my % body fat haven't budged since then, so I'm starting to do cardio several times/week, which isn't easy since I don't feel great. I've been told it can takes months to become Keto adapted. I hope not. I'm ready to feel better & to see some results! Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yes! Most of us have probably been in the same boat. I started out feeling fantastic then it hit me hard, and I got really sick (sinus infection) on top of it. You may want to pull back on the exercise while you are adapting, it can make things much harder because there is already a lot of changes going on in your body right now.

Can you open your diary so we can see if there is something missing that might help you feel better. You do eventually adapt but for me it did take some time as I increased my carbs to around 50-60g a day on average.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The most common problems are due to low sodium. Are you familiar with the need for sodium, and if so, how are you getting the extra sodium in your diet?
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Me! *waves*

Ive been keto for about 6 weeks now. The 1st month was HELL. No exaggeration, i felt like total death - constant tiredness, aches all over my body, headaches, dizzy spells, brain fog, weakness, upset stomach, depression, heart palpitations, panic attacks, constant hunger etc. I was really quite ill with it all. I started to feel more 'normal' about a week ago - none of this amazing energy and wellbeing that everyone raves about, but the worst symptoms have finally eased up, thank god.

However, im still struggling with the weightloss issue. Im not losing - im just yo-yoing up and down the same 4 pounds. This is really frustrating because im strict with my foods; 20g carbs or less (often much less) and only 1200 cals; and i even started exercising daily for the past week or so... so why am i not losing any fat?

I dont know the answer, but ive just been discussing the use of artificial sweeteners with a few other members here and we're wondering if that is what is causing the stall. So if you use AS that's something you could look at reducing or giving up. Im going to reduce mine dramatically and see if it helps.

Otherwise its been suggested that i may not be eating enough calories. How many cals are you on a day? Im on 1200.

Its so frustrating when you put all this effort in but dont see any positive results, but i still have belief that keto can work for me, if i can just discover what's causing my body to stall.

Anyway, just wanted you to know you're not alone. We've both been keto for about the same length of time. It would be great if we could both see some great results soon. Im still hopeful, but looks like something is not quite right.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know about your specifics, @CoconuttyMummy but I burn the most fat eating properly and sitting on my bum doing not much of anything.

Weight comes from the kitchen, fitness comes from the gym (aka activity)...

Hi, I've been eating Keto for approx 6 weeks & it's tough right now. I love eating low carb, but now that I'm really focusing on my macros 75% fat/20% protein/5% carb, I think I'm experiencing Keto flu. I initially lost 10 lbs the 1st 2 weeks, but the scale & my % body fat haven't budged since then, so I'm starting to do cardio several times/week, which isn't easy since I don't feel great. I've been told it can takes months to become Keto adapted. I hope not. I'm ready to feel better & to see some results! Anyone else experiencing something similar?

And I went low carb in January, but bumped down to Keto in February, and I hit a stride at about 6 weeks in where I thought I was going to die. I hadn't had much of any keto flu before. I just took it as a sign that my body was finally keto-adapting and giving up the last of my carb misery!! Maybe that mindset might help?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The most common problems are due to low sodium. Are you familiar with the need for sodium, and if so, how are you getting the extra sodium in your diet?

This^ Even if you think you are getting plenty, you probably are not.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    And potassium.I'm about 2 weeks in adding lo salt for the potassium and I feel WAY better
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    And dont forget the magnesium! :)
  • MelodySmith511
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the replies. I will open my diary so anyone can see it. I haven't made an effort to replace sodium. I don't know how much I should have.
    I will start taking supplements again...magnesium calcium & potassium.
    I'm averaging 1750 calories/day & meeting my macros from what I can tell.
    I could drink more water. That's a chore for me.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    I may back off on cardio & do some weights?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The lack of sodium is likely to be your issue. You can lose quite a bit -- an EXTRA 1-3g per day is recommended, but try eating something salty and see how you feel. Soup, pickles, etc.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would also encourage you to drink a lot of water and maybe eat less processed meats. They have nitrates and lots of salt that can impede weight loss in some. Also, I do not know how tall you are and how much you want to lose. It could be that you are eating too many calories per day. You may have other medical issues or food sensitivities as I do where I could not lose weight even following a low carb, low calories way of eating. One final suggestion is calorie cycling where you vary the amount you each each day.
  • MelodySmith511
    Options
    Thanks! Good info. I will add sodium & try to cut back on processed meats & go for real foods.
    I'm 5'7" and want to lose at least 70 lbs. I'm on synthroid for sluggish thyroid & take anti-depressant & anxiety meds (lorazepam & Wellbutrin), so those may be issues I need to discuss with physician. I appreciate everyone's input!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I started eating LC in early June but switched to keto later in the month, and even then I cheated once a week which I think prolonged my withdrawal/adaptation symptoms. If I had to do it over I would NEVER have cheated.

I felt pretty poorly for the last two weeks. I had a migraine more days than not and was pretty tired. The migraines are lightening up so it is not every day, and sometimes for only for part of the day, but it is still there. My energy has started to improve but I think it has more to do with avoiding those sugar highs and lows... I'm new though so I'm not sure.

I've also been extremely thirsty and am guzzling twice as much water as normal. I also add a 1/4 tsp of salt to some water at bed and it seems to help. I haven't done it for over 24 hours and my migraine is back... I guess I better get on that.

My hunger is all over the place too. Some days I am starving and eat 2200 calories and am still hungry, but on other days I am done before I hit 1300 calories.

I'm pretty sure my body is still adjusting, but it is getting easier. The scale is moving downwards and I can feel a difference in my shape. I'm actually excited to keep going.
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As others have said, more sodium and lots of water. Your calories look a bit too low so your body tries to hold onto any weight when it's not getting enough calories to do your normal daily functions. Maybe you can throw in 40 grams of salted Macadamia nuts as a snack. That will increase your calories and also increase your good fats which will do you good. Good luck.
  • MelodySmith511
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Good info. I'm feeling better slowly but surely. I'm adding sodium & water & taking magnesium, potassium & calcium.