Does the Fitbit Charge work if you put it in your pocket?

Options
donnab83
donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
Hiya!
I'm a new Fitbit Charge owner! I have been looking at them for months & have finally gone out & got one! :)
I have a question.... I'm not allowed to wear jewllery at work, so I was wondering if I would get accurate recordings if I put it in my pocket?
Have any of you done this? Does it work well?
Sorry if this question has been asked before!
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Replies

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and before that the flex. When I need to I will wrap it around my belt loop or the middle of my bra. I imagine your pocket would work.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It should work fine. While the software is optimized for wearing on your wrist, it doesn't actually depend on arm swings - in fact, the software has to "filter out" the arm swings in order to detect steps. You could have your arm perfectly still with respect to your body and it would count your steps just fine, so that's pretty much the same as putting it in your pocket.

Just make sure it won't fall out. I have a Charge HR and when I go to Costco (long shopping trip with lots of steps but pushing a big cart that can't be pushed one handed), I turn off the HR function and take it off my wrist. I used to put it in my pocket until a few weeks ago when I was wearing pants that had shallow pockets and it fell out at some point. Luckily for me, someone found it and turned it in! So, last time I went to Costco, I tucked it inside my bra. (I also got rid of those pants - they'd gotten way too big for me anyway. :) )

Other advice for a new Fitbit owner - read the FAQ:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

It's long, but heybales did a great job of answering the questions that are most common, even ones you don't know you have yet.

Yet more advice for the newbie: Trust your Fitbit for a few weeks - while being careful about accurately logging your food - and then see if you're actually losing weight at the expected rate. There's a good chance it will give you more calories for your activity than you expect.