Treadmill routine

Options
ABabilonia
ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
So long story short, I've started to run a couple weeks ago, my ultimate goal is to run a full marathon (hopefully the Chicago Marathon), but my immediate goal is to run a 5K (hopefully by September). Does anyone have an effective training routine in a treadmill? Has anyone had success training in a treadmill only? I know that eventually I have to go outside, but I want to get some rhythm first. TIA

Replies

• BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Eh, if you use a treadmill, make sure you increase the incline per session and in-general so you can simulated running on real life surfaces. If you don't, it is harder to take that training to the street. The indoor track seemed better than treadmill to me.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Sure, it is simple.

1. Unplug treadmill.
    2. Place laundry on treadmill to dry.
    3. Go outside for a run.

:)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Honestly, start off outside. You want to develop the ankle strength and mobility to deal with little variations in road/trail surface from the get-go. More importantly, being outside allows *you* to control the pace every single second. If you get tired or winded, your body will adjust automatically. If you're not feeling as good one day, you'll naturally run slower. This is CRITICAL in running. THE key to running more is to run slower and easier. Over time, you'll get faster simply by running more. Run too hard, and you'll need too much time to recover--you won't be able to run as much.

Start off outside, with something like C25K or Zombies, Run! Programs like that will get you to your 5K goal very well. :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo starting outside. You'll learn better how to pace yourself, find your own rhythm, etc. if you are moving totally of your own power rather than on a moving treadmill belt. It will serve you better in the long run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You've been running two weeks and your goal is a marathon? How about finding out if you even like running first? It takes years to physically prepare for a marathon. Train for 5k,10k. Run a few half marathons. A full marathon is a huge commitment and is not to be taken lightly.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    You've been running two weeks and your goal is a marathon? How about finding out if you even like running first? It takes years to physically prepare for a marathon. Train for 5k,10k. Run a few half marathons. A full marathon is a huge commitment and is not to be taken lightly.

I guess you missed the part where I said that my short term goal is to run a 5K. For all the other posters thanks for the suggestions. I will try to increase my training outside.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is applicable to a treadmill but use your favorite internet search engine for 'couch to 5k' information.
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Sure, it is simple.

1. Unplug treadmill.
    2. Place laundry on treadmill to dry.
    3. Go outside for a run.

:)

Love it!
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love the usefulness of the treadmill. I am a seasoned runner and spend a lot of time on the treadmill, especially in the winter--I hate running in snow. You can do great workouts on the treadmill--I love hills. I do get outside mostly in the nicer months and like others say, it is different outside.

I have a newbie runner friend and she only runs on the treadmill. She did a half marathon this spring and I think she only did maybe 4-5 runs outside. It is what works for her.

I would look up treadmill workouts or use the c25k as a start.
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Wendy98 wrote: »
    I love the usefulness of the treadmill. I am a seasoned runner and spend a lot of time on the treadmill, especially in the winter--I hate running in snow. You can do great workouts on the treadmill--I love hills. I do get outside mostly in the nicer months and like others say, it is different outside.

I have a newbie runner friend and she only runs on the treadmill. She did a half marathon this spring and I think she only did maybe 4-5 runs outside. It is what works for her.

I would look up treadmill workouts or use the c25k as a start.

Thank you for the tips. I actually downloaded c25k the other day, and I will try it this weekend outdoors for first time. I would actually love to run outside, but due to time constraints I can only run on a treadmill most of the time.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree on the idea of starting outside and getting as much time in outside as you can because you cannot underestimate the benefit on running on the similar surface to your race. Plus, the longer you can stretch out those long, slow, easy runs, the better. I think being outside is the most likely place to get that long run in without coming up with excuses to stop.

I have used the treadmill to great effect during winter training. When there was 2 weeks of ice storms, I still managed to get in all my quality work including 2 days of tempo runs. With a friend, we warmed up on the indoor track at the YMCA (which was a bit crazy since its 15 laps to the mile!) and then did 20 min @tempo and then did another mile on the track and moved to different treadmills to do the second 20 min piece to break it up a little.

We also did a ladder on the treadmill, but we did it by time instead of distance. 30 sec, 1 min, 2min, 3min, 2min, 1 min, 30 sec (switch to treadmills in another room and do it again!)

If you live in an area that never has to deal with this kinda thing, then being anti-treadmill works great. But, when push comes to shove and there's an inch of ice in those dark winter mornings, a treadmill can be a plan saver (and I don't think I would have gotten my 3:05 without it!). Yak traks don't always cut it when you have quality work to do, and they don't work great on pure, inch thick ice!
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    If you live in an area that never has to deal with this kinda thing, then being anti-treadmill works great. But, when push comes to shove and there's an inch of ice in those dark winter mornings, a treadmill can be a plan saver (and I don't think I would have gotten my 3:05 without it!). Yak traks don't always cut it when you have quality work to do, and they don't work great on pure, inch thick ice!

Unfortunately I live in an area that has to deal with this during Winter. I just had my first run outside yesterday, and it was amazing. I would love to do more running outside, but I don't have too much time (I know, super lame excuse), and I can only manage to run outside two to three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). The rest of the week I pretty much have to use to treadmill, and usually early in the morning for about an hour. Hopefully when my commitments end (August 2016) I will have enough endurance to run 10Ks outside easily. Thanks all for the tips. :)