Do you train using time or distance?

Options
hypotrochoid
hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
I'm curious- c25k uses a time based training, working up to a full half hour of running. I used that, then did a 10k training working up to an hour of running. I've done two halfs, but am now formally training for the distance so I don't have the curl up and die feeling after.

I'm still using the time method, but once I start consistently hitting 13.1 in my long runs and I switch to marathon training I'm guessing time is no longer the best way.

Tl;dr
In your opinion, is it better to train by adding time to runs or adding distance?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a coach who expressed everything in distance, and now I work with one who writes the schedule in minutes. But it works out the same in the end because you have a sense of how fast (and therefore how far) you're likely to go and unless every run is an out-and-back route you're going to have a good idea of distance before you start. Today the schedule says 90 minutes and I'll do a loop I know is about the right distance to take that long. I still record my total mileage though so it's not one or the other.

I'd say however you're most comfortable thinking will work fine.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Distance = time x intensity... so I train by both.
    For example, if I plan to run 8k tempo... I'll insert 20-30 min of threshold work.
    At the end of the week I add up my mileage which is my main measure.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It depends on the run. Anything less than 5 miles is all about the time, unless it's a recovery run after a long run. Anything more than 10 is about the distance, and not feeling like I'm going to die at the end.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I go by distance. Especially for long runs, when I know the second half is longer than the first half. I'm very data driven, so going by time seems like an impossible task. I gotta have my even mileage!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It depends, On the road by distance and Pace both are obviously linked. Trail runs can be either by time or a distance depending on how technical or hard they are. It all can depend on goals and what you are running/training for
  • litsy3
    Options
    when I know the second half is longer than the first half.

What?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I train by distance. Usually I'm training for an event, and no matter how long it takes, I'm going to have to run that distance, so that's why I prefer that methodology.

I can understand the reasons to use time instead. Like trail running where the level of effort can vary wildly for the same distance depending on the elevation, how technical it is, and what the surface is. There are also certain metabolic adaptations that happen past 90 minutes where you may prefer to do time based training and seek to do a run longer than that time versus a certain distance.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    when I know the second half is longer than the first half.

What?

Haha, typo. When I know the second half will take longer than the first half. Basically: my pacing isn't consistent enough for me to try to run by time exclusively.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    For marathon+ distance, the argument for training by time relates to the theory that you don't gain any extra benefit from running more than 3 hours in one shot. Or rather, that the benefit you gain from running longer is cancelled out by the time it takes to recover from the damage you do to your muscles. The point is that a slower runner and a faster runner will run different--even drastically different--numbers of miles in that time. So you would not tell both the 8:00 pacer and the 11:00 pacer to max out their longest long run at (e.g.) 20 miles, because that puts the slower runner on their feet for nearly four hours.

The flipside to that, of course, is that in the race itself, that slower runner will be spending significantly longer on their feet than the faster runner, so the extra practice on tired legs is--at least mentally--even more important. However, that runner would want to take into account the increasing damage accrued at very long running times, and build in extra rest and recovery time.
  • litsy3
    Options
    Off-topic, but @kristinegift why not slow the first part of your long run right down to a pace you know you can sustain - or even improve on - for the last bit? Practising speeding up at the end of a long run is great training for longer races, when you're tired at the end.
  • kristinegift
    edited July 2015
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Off-topic, but @kristinegift why not slow the first part of your long run right down to a pace you know you can sustain - or even improve on - for the last bit? Practising speeding up at the end of a long run is great training for longer races, when you're tired at the end.

I'm trying to train myself to run more consistent paces and consciously starting out slower, because this fast-to-slow trend is something I've tried to deal with many times in the past. I still measure by distance and give myself time/pace goals because I like my running data ;). Learning how to run sustainable paces is one of the big things I'm working on with my base-building this summer for exactly the reason you stated.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I write plans by distance. I feel like giving an athlete a plan that says "run x minutes" gives them the opportunity to say "well, if I just run a little faster, I can do it y miles in that time". Then they end up running easy runs too fast and the workouts suffer along with the overall training. If I say run y miles, that removes that incentive.
  • litsy3
    Options
    I think the opposite way, Carson - I was much more likely to think 'x miles, that should take me y minutes!' whereas when the plan is written in minutes I just think 'oh well, I'm taking it pretty easy today, I'll just go a shorter way home for my 90 minutes'. It's all mind games...
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the run, especially as I'm not on a plan currently. Most road/path stuff I'll go with distance, with trail it's generally time.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have been using Matt Fitzgerald's training plans which are written for time, except for the weekly long run, which is in distance. I tend to agree with litsy3, I like that I can say, "okay, I am running for an hour today." I can take it nice and easy, or I can run hard, it's still going to take me an hour either way. I find in that case, I am more likely to take it easy.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I guess this is a case of know thyself or the athlete. I am a fitzgerald 80/20 advocate so again, I know how long I am going to be out for and so plan it that way except for the long run which will be what it will be. Using the pacing guide and a Garmin FR610, I can keep to the prescribed workout limits using audible alarms so not worried. The biggest risk for me running too fast is Strava. So I now consciously ignore segments and PRs/KOMs, wanting to beat those was the biggest risk to screwing up my training regimen
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I alternate every 3 weeks between running at sea level (Venice CA) and 7,300 ft. (Mexico City). Therefore I use time. Pace is slower and distance is shorter at altitude, so I limit myself to 40 minutes of running.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is dependent on the person. I personally go by miles, I have a hard time hitting x number of minutes (which is why I don't do 6 or 12 hour races). Other people prefer to run by time. Jack Daniels has a set of plans written by time to avoid the situations where someone spends 5 hours doing a 20 mile training run.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    For example David, Jack Daniels will limit the long run for marathon training to 2-1/2 hours, period.
    He goes on to say that "your long run should be the lesser of 25% of your weekly mileage or 2-1/2 hours. Whichever comes first."
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I go by miles. But I will also pay attention on how long I do a run. I have a few times in marathon training break the Jack Daniels 2-1/2 hour rule when I was doing 20 miles and a couple 22 miles.

I am not sure if I will do that again this time around. We will see.