Hormone levels--couldn't get tested

When I asked if I could have my hormone levels tested, my gynecologist told me that hormone tests are completely inaccurate and useless for premenopausal women. Advice?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    o.O

Get a new gyno and/or a referral to an endo.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    I second Dragonwolf's motion! I spent YEARS with a gyn that every time I brought up PCOS said I didn't have it (never did any tests, would just say "No, you don't have it"), even after I started seeing an endo that said I have all the signs and symptoms on the endo side of it. Went to a new gyn, she said that she didn't need to test me for anything, just by reading my history, I have it and while she did test me for a couple things, she was also the doctor that pointed out that just because my test results are "normal", doesn't mean they are normal for me. I'm now with a gyn that is working WITH my other doctors not against/ignoring them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I've heard that it is optimal to test certain hormones at certain points in the cycle, and some tests are far more accurate by saliva, etc., but my endocrinologist told me that there is a certain panel of tests (multiple tests for each hormone and related support minerals, etc.) that give better context to the all of the tests. He also said that symptoms are better indicators, particularly when blood tests show in the "lower end of normal threshold" for some tests. Also, that certain "groupings" of conditions together scream at him even when bloodwork doesn't fully support it. So yes, he validated that without good context, the blood work can be wonky, but a good doctor can look at the full picture.

A gynecologist doesn't have the full extent of blood disorder training that an endocrinologist has, so I would look into finding a doctor with more knowledge specific to hormonal issues or an endocrinologist with training specific to female issues (because some will be diabetes and/or thyroid only, etc.)...
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Wow. I've spent the last several weeks reading everything I can (textbooks, medical journal articles) and that is the opposite of true. PCOS is much harder to test for using the standard labs after menopause because FSH goes greater than 65 and stays there. The hormonal tests are MOST helpful in premenopausal women. Post menopause the only hormonal test that is diagnosic is the free androgen index, but that isn't universally accepted.

I would absolutely get a second opinion. It is mind boggling that OBs struggle so much with this. It would be like a PCP struggling to diagnose hypertension.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 308 Member
    I would find a new practitioner! My husband and I are getting ready to try and conceive again (have had 2 miscarriages one back in Sept of '14 and one on April 11th of '15). I have already let my OBGYN know that I want my progesterone tested this time because it hasn't been tested before. I haven't asked my endocrinologist, but I'm sure that he would be willing to do the testing, if my OBGYN refuses. Best of luck!