I'm back and super keen for the next season of fitness

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
So I got back from my holiday today. It was great to be away and while I was there I finally reached 5km in a run so another target is achieved. Diving back into training immediately with fitness at lunchtime and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tonight! Seven weeks to go until my next competition which is the one with home town advantage and all the support that goes with it so I'm super keen to work hard for that.

National Fencing Championships went well, even if I didn't get any major victories. I scored some good points against some tough opponents and learnt some areas I need to work on. I got compliments on how much I improved in the last year and I had lots of fun. Moved one place up the rankings to 26, only 11 places to my current target of Top 15. Start training for that tomorrow...

Who else has any fitness specific goals or targets or races or competitions they are working toward?

Replies

• BevSmith0142
    BevSmith0142 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Well done! Good luck with your training. My fitness goals are more health based right now as I am challenged with a neurological condition, so I am focusing on strength and endurance working up to balance and flexibility improvements. ;)
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Congratulations! Well done! Good luck with your training. My fitness goals are more health based right now as I am challenged with a neurological condition, so I am focusing on strength and endurance working up to balance and flexibility improvements. ;)

Thanks. One of the reasons I started BJJ was because my balance is shocking. My trainer says it is because I have weak core muscles (which I do, due to surgery years ago and no rehab). When asked what the best workout for core was, his response was BJJ, which I had already been considering and when I tried it I was hooked. It is a major core workout but also works the entire body, but half the time you are having so much fun that you don't even notice you are working out! It also helps with flexibility as you learn to get in and out of the weirdest positions!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I wish I could do that - who knows - perhaps in the future. ;)
  • Dory_42
    Options
    One of the things I have learnt this year is that everything is worth trying as you never know what you will end up loving. At the beginning of the year I was super unfit and convinced that I didn't like the whole class training structure. Then I tried out this mma gym because they had a free week and I read boxing is good for fencing. I was hooked from day 1 and the changes in my body and my ability are beyond belief. Obviously, health issues need to be considered, but as you get stronger, I would really encourage you to try various things out. My trainers are very willing to work with people who have medical challenges as long as those people are willing to do their part. So if you are willing to push hard at what you can do, they will adapt your training to allow for whatever you may not be able to do. Look for those kind of trainers, they will help you achieve the impossible!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    Yes, I will hun - hopefully a few months in the future.