Recipes

Options
rainey4
rainey4 Posts: 164 Member
So this is an old vegetable soup recipe that I use to get some veggies in.

Recipe below with modifications to change it up with other flavours (Chinese/Mexican/Italian)

I usually end up with about 4 servings

1/4 cup diced onion
2 packets instant chicken broth and seasoning mix (I just use 2 oxo cubes)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato (I just use a can of stewed tomatoes)
1/4 tsp basil leaves
1/8 tsp pepper.
Crushed red pepper - to taste (optional)

1. in a 1 1/2 quart nonstick saucepan combine onion, broth mix, and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally until onion is translucent.

2. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.

3. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until veggies are soft about 20 minutes.

4. Using a slotted spoon remove 1/2 cup veggies and set aside. In blender container in 2 batches puree remaining soup, return pureed mixture to saucepan add reserved veggies and heat ( I just use my hand blender and puree it to a chunky state - I do not remove any of the soup)

Notes:

I usually add more zucchini, including yellow if its in the store, and a little more carrots and because of that add more water and get 4 servings.

To change the soup:

Italian: use Italian flavoured oxo cubes, Italian stewed tomatoes, and add some oregano and a little coriander.

Thai/Chinese: use Thai or Chinese flavoured oxo cubes, add some cilantro (no basil), ginger with the garlic, star anise, some mushrooms, pumpkin and red/green peppers and regular stewed tomatoes.

Mexican: use chicken oxo cubes, Mexican stewed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, kidney beans or black beans and corn,

Replies

• vicki8seekers
    vicki8seekers Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear some other recipes!

Last night I made:

Baked salsa chicken & rice:
    1 1/2 cups brown rice
    1 1/2 lb chicken (about 3 breasts)
    2 cups salsa (all natural)
    1 1/4 cup water
    and a modification from the original recipe, I only used a 1/2 cup cheese instead of a cup

Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Spread out rice in a large casserole dish. Place chicken breasts on top of rice. In a mixing bowl, combine salsa and water. Pour over chicken and rice. Season with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Sprinkle cheese on top of casserole. Turn broiler on high and pop casserole back in oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.

Now, recipe said it makes 3 servings, but we actually got 4 out of the chicken and rice/salsa, and we still have rice/salsa left over. I'll probably use that for something, but not sure what.
    Container wise, I measured out a protein container w/ the chicken, then a 'heaping' carb container, since there were so many veggies from the salsa in the mixture, then estimated how much of the blue container each serving had.

I think next time, I am going to cut up a lot of extra peppers and more onions and whatnot and add that in for even more veggies. I had a small side salad w/ it last night.

Hubby and kid liked it, so it's a win!
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of recipe threads here - you have to click to see more of the discussions for them to show. Only the most active threads move to the top