Pre-Op and overwhelmed

pennysteed
pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
I am one week out, and had my pre-op appointment today. As far as the hospital is concerned, I am ready to go for Wednesday, 15 July. I thought I was too until I stopped by Walgreens to pick up my vitamins. Now I am feeling extremely overwhelmed. Am I ready for this? Can I do this? Just how hard is this going to be on me for the rest of my life. In order to make my minimums for vitamins, I am going to be taking what seems to be a meals worth of vitamins a day!

I think logistically I am ready for this. Any recommendations on what to pack for my 2-3 days in the hospital. How did you guys handle food preparations once you returned home? My husband works swing shift, so I pretty much have to cook for our kids. Any advice on everything is appreciated, as I said before, I am starting to feel overwhelmed by everything.

Replies

• nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    Me too!!! I'm scheduled for Monday. Had my pre op today. Just stressed out and overwhelmed! Add to it that I'm at a conference for the next couple days and I'm a mess. My husband and I were talking today and he started the 'are you sure you want to do this' bug. Not unsupportive, just realizing the change. I've been in just go mode for so long and now that it's so close I'm doubting everything!! BUT I know I've failed with every diet. I know I have a lot to lose. I know I can't keep up with my kids. So. This surgery is what I'm doing about it! I need this reboot.

Best of luck. Let's support each other through this!
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    I'm 4 months out, the initial thoughts are still pretty fresh. All I can say is stick to the plan you have mapped out with your surgeon and support staff. The vitamins are pretty easy, stick to your intake schedule. I've found there's lot of support to be found here
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    gardendoc wrote: »
    I'm 4 months out, the initial thoughts are still pretty fresh. All I can say is stick to the plan you have mapped out with your surgeon and support staff. The vitamins are pretty easy, stick to your intake schedule. I've found there's lot of support to be found here

I'm just over 3 months out and couldn't agree more with gardendoc. being nervous about the surgery is normal and second guessing is easy too. based on my experience of losing then gaining back more, the surgery has been a great benefit. just bear in mind that it's only a tool, not the total answer to losing weight, diet and exercise still play their part in your weight loss too.

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Yes. It will be a big change, but at least for me, I felt really "normal" after a few months. Just eating A LOT less of whatever it was. As far as food prep, I didn't have a family to cook for, but the first week I pretty much drank shakes and ate yogurt and well whizzed bean soup. Week 2 or 3 eggs were good, little piles of whizzed taco meat with cheese and whizzed black beans, and a noodle less lasagna (ricotta, whizzed spinach, mozarella baked with pasta sauce). If you could make the "real deal" (lasagna, tacos or Mexican casserole thing) for them and make yourself a mini dish modified for your needs I think you'll be surprised how well you'll do! Before long, you'll be eating like a normal person, (just REALLY small portions). Good luck!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I get what you are saying. As I was lying on the hospital gurney the morning of surgery getting the IVs put in, I was wondering to myself it anyone would notice if I got up and ran out of the hospital :) At 8 mos out, I am really glad I didn't. The 2nd hospital day was my toughest because after my test to make sure my stomach was sealed (I had the sleeve done) I had to start drinking water, and they gave me room-temp tap water. Not a fan of tap water! Getting up and walking made me feel more human, and also helps to dissipate the gas they use for the surgery. If you have not had laproscopic surgery, the gas they use tends to settle in the shoulder/chest area and that can be uncomfortable for a few days until it dissipates. My vitamins are Flinstones Complete chewables, so that makes them easy to take. The first couple weeks out I had a lot of greek yogurt, protein shakes w/Fairlife milk, Carnation sugar-free instant breakfast and broth that I flavored with seasonings. Yes, your eating habits will be changed for the rest of your life but the better health will be worth it. Best wishes!!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    I was there 3 months ago. My surgeon looked and me when I told him I was overwhelmed, smiled and said "Good. That means you're fully aware of the road you're walking down and you're ready for it." As for taking your vitamins, it is just part of the routine. I take a calcium in the morning with my coffee, my multivitamin at lunch, and another calcium and Vitamin D at dinner.

I also have a family with small kids to cook for. The first few weeks, large batches of their favorites in the crockpot, rotisserie chickens from costco, and easy things like grilled cheese, fish sticks, etc got me through. I would just drink my protein shake with them as they ate. I kept it simple and no one starved.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I had my sleeve 4 years ago this month. It is very overwhelming in the beginning and yes there are lots of changes, but please know, this does become the "new normal" in your life as you recover from the surgery and make the changes that then become the habits. Yes I still plan my food for the day and I weigh and measure most everything because that routine works for me, helps me stay within portion control and stay on track. Some people can stop that after a bit, I'm not one of them. Feeling what you are is normal. All I can say is try and focus on the "why am I doing this" and the excitement of getting your life back in a healthier body. I have no regrets. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I had doubts right up to surgery. The night before surgery, I went into each kid's room and had a talk with them about what would happen if Dad didn't come home. That hit my daughter really hard and really made me question going through with it. I had already lost 100 pounds and was convinced something would go wrong and I would be kicking myself in the afterlife about taking this risk.

I didn't sleep much but went to the hospital.

All prepped, the surgeon came to see me and I asked him how late I cod pull out. He told me that I could stop right until they put me out and that he would support my decision but he still recommended the surgery because the 5% success rate for long term obese people includes many that have had triple digit losses.

I was calm as I decided to go through with the surgery and have been ecstatic about the decision since. Like bikerchk sez, I feel like a 'normal' person with a small portion reinforcement. I hit my goal six months post surgery and look forward to the future.

I hope you come to real peace with your decision and find a way forward.

Best wishes and let us know how we can help!

Rob
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Like others have said, it will feel normal again. It is very normal to have anxiety prior to surgery. This is a big step. I am 7 months out and feel great. Healthier and stronger than ever.

What to take with you? I didn't really need anything in the hospital except stuff for a shower, some ear plugs and change of clothes (sweat pants/shorts are most comfortable). If you are going to be there a while maybe something to occupy you. They provided me everything I needed.

When I got home, I was liquids for 6 weeks so I just cooked for the family. It didn't bother me. I usually had a soup or yogurt at meals and ate with them as usual. Once I could have puree, I just pureed whatever they had.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    A huge thank you to each and everyone of you. I am beginning to feel as if I can do this and it is nice to know that what I am feeling is perfectly normal.
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member

I look at taking all those vitamins as one way to get your water in! At first it's hard to get them all down, but after a while, it's no problem. I'm almost 1.5 years post-op and I can drink 8 oz of water in a few minutes. Some people have trouble doing that, but some don't.

I packed comfy clothes, my kindle/charger, nice slippers, a few tubes of chapstick.

At first I just made two separate meals...one for my family (husband and 3 young children) and one for me. Once I was allowed on solid foods, I tried to make high protein family meals and I would skip the carby stuff. For example, spaghetti and meatballs, I would just eat a couple meatballs. Now I can eat anything with no problem so I find it harder. I want to eat the carby stuff everyone else is having. For a while I was eating it, and I have the weight gain to prove it. I'm back on track with losing now.

• nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    This is so what I needed to hear! Thank you! Rob, the part about your daughter made me cry. Such a fear! I know I'll be fine, I've had plenty of surgeries before, just, ugh, kinda hits you in the chest.

Thanks for posting your fears pennystead! I guess we're normal!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    I teared up in the car as my husband was taking me to the hospital thinking a lot like Rob was..gonna kick myself in the afterlife if something happens to me from this surgery..but 4 months out and I have no regrets and have never felt healthier in my adult life.

I took stretchy waist pants and roomy shirt and comfy loose pjs and my own slipper socks and robe (and Chapstick and toiletries)because walking laps was my focus in the hospital and they put so much IV fluid in you to keep you hydrated...the day I left I weighed 6 lbs over what I did when I weighed right before surgery and was quite bloated in the tummy and sore in my shoulder and chest area from the surgery gas...walk, sip, walk, sip, walk, sip.

When I got home it was a lot of fat free cream soups and Greek yogurt and warm decaf tea because my surgeon allowed us full liquids when we left. Once I was moved up to purée and soft solid, egg beaters, cottage cheese, refried beans and egg salad were a big staple of my diet. And we eat so little of an amount that it would go a long way and then I would just make a meal for my husband and kids to eat when I ate what I was having. Now I just make healthier meals and they eat what I eat usually. The chewable vitamins and calcium are now just my new normal like everyone else said. I bought a box that separates out 3 times a day for the week and take vitamin, protonix and ursodiol in am, 2 calcium at lunch, an ursodiol at dinner and 2 more calcium at bedtime..its def a good way to get in more water for the day and not feel completely filled with pills
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Penny and Nilklynn - like others have said fears are normal and it's good that you are thinking this through it means you are conscious of your decison and dedicated to the process. The night before my surgery I cried and thought about what if I can't do it and then thought what if I don't....a much worse vision came to mind. The beginning goes by so quickly and the new norm becomes just that "normal" life. Best wishes on your new journey and your new life...we got the loser's bench warmed up and waiting for you ;)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Just echoing what everyone else has said, it's natural to feel apprehensive. It's a big decision and a big change, and for a lot of us, it's the first time we really took our health and future into our own hands. Things will take some getting used to, things might take a little more planning, but I cannot even tell you how much it's worth it. Like Joysie said, I wondered what would happen if I didn't do this. It isn't about "what if I can't", it's about "what if I CAN", and you totally can!!