Sore knees after Saturday's WOD

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
I've been crossfitting for almost 2 months, give or take a week. My coaches tell me I have good form and mobility on my squats. After a WOD with a lot of squat movements, my quads will be pretty sore with a little soreness on my glutes and hams. I took this as me not sitting back on my heels during the pushup part, which my spotter on my back squats confirmed earlier last week.

On Saturday's WOD, I tried to make sure I was pushing through my heels throughout the many..many...many squats we did. About an hour or two afterwards, my knees were seriously sore and tight. If I sat in one position, it was hard to get moving again. This went on all weekend, and today it isn't noticeable. My knees didn't hurt when I did squats before.

I went to my chiropractor for my normal adjustment, and she asked me to squat. She knows nothing about crossfit with the exception is that she sees a lot of injuries due to it. She told me that the technique is off.

I've been watching videos of it, and I "think" I'm doing it right, but the sore knees from Saturday tells me otherwise. My coaches have always praised my squats since the beginning. So, now I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing! I really wished they had mirrors there.

Replies

• drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt on the outer part of your knee or the inner?
  • Dmkolls
    Options
    Front, sides, and back.....more pain due to stiffness than shooting pain.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My knees hurt on the outside part sometimes due to my IT band being tight. I bought a foam roller and it helps a good bit. As for the back and front I don't have any advice other than give it a rest and don't do anything jarring for a few days. I hurt my knee on Saturday, not at the WOD but going up the steps at the movie theater (really? who gets hurt at the movie theater??? LOL) I got a shooting pain and it hurt all weekend. Today at the gym my trainer told me to take it easy. My knees have always given me trouble with any exercise, I guess due to carrying around extra weight for so many years.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    Did you chiro tell you what it was about your form that was off?

I have had a lot of knee problems. I play a lot of volleyball (indoor court volleyball in the winter for 8 months, and then outdoor beach in the summer for 4 months). I developed tendonitis in my left knee from playing and had it for about a year before doign anything about it! I have managed to eliminate most if not all the pain simply by strength training! I do get really achy if I sit in the same position for a long time, and every now and then i do somethign to tweak it, but it has improved sooo much!

If you just had a hard leg day and all your quad and hams are in recovery mode, than there is a lot more strain on your knees. I am by no means an expert on the matter, I'm not a physiotherapist, nor am I a trainer but I am just saying this from my experience and from what I have learned from the health experts around me. I would say just make sure to give your legs proper rest after a hard leg day so that your knees dont take too much of a beating afterwards. It should get better as you get stronger. If you can go see a physiotherapist, just to make sure it's nothing serious, but otherwise just keep on keepin' on and it only gets better from here!
  • Dmkolls
    Options
    Well, she wanted me toes to not point out (10 and 2), and she wanted me to push my butt further back and to not break the plane.

I'm going to ask one of the coaches tonight what they think and to review. Here I thought I was correcting the "not pushing through my heels" problem, but ended up having a knee problem!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i swear by animal flex and the hardest roller you can handle. animal flex is a joint supplement, the only supplement i take, and a pvc makes a great roller :)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have terrible knees, and joints for that matter. Just ordered Animal Flex. Hope it does the job.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    I have terrible knees, and joints for that matter. Just ordered Animal Flex. Hope it does the job.

my brother swears by it, he made our grandma take it, she swore by it, i FINALLY started taking it and LOVE it. i felt a difference within 2 weeks- if you have really bad joints it is suggested you take animal flex stacked with super cissus (i think that is how you spell it) and it is supposed to be the best combo ever.
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been on a heavy squat program with my coach for the last 3 weeks and saw no knee problems until yesterday (following Monday's Oly session). Monday also happened to be the first day wearing Oly shoes. I think I was having a hard time learning to not go forward on my toes since Oly shoes elevate the heel slightly. My coach confirmed that theory yesterday, saying I was tending to lean forward, rather than sit back on my heels once we got to the 80 kilo sets. (I only had problems with my right knee which makes total sense because my right heel is always the one to come off the ground). Another reason he listed is that I have a hard time keeping "soft knees". I tend to lock my legs out when I get back to the top, and start from there, rather than with slightly bent knees. Coach used what he called a "voodoo ban" on my knee yesterday, which was essentially a long rubber strap that he wrapped tightly above, on, and below the knee, cutting blood flow. He had me move around, do a few quarter squats, & full squats, then removed the ban - my knee felt so much better than the one that didn't hurt! He said the band constricts the blood flow to the area, causing the heart to try and pump more to it, and then when the band is removed, the blood rushes in & flushes out all of the "junk" causing the inflammation & tightness. It worked, and I was able to get thru an hour-long session with no knee issues/pain. The voodoo band is not a cure-all, however, I still have slight soreness today, but no where near what I had yesterday before my training session.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have to remember to start pushing with the heels whether squatting or deadlifting.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    i LOVE those voodoo bands! they use them on mobilitywod.com a fair bit, and rogue makes and sells them. i use em on my elbow when i feel tennis elbow flaring up, ive used them on my ankle when i sprained it, and on my shoulder to help restore full ROM for my internal rotation- seriously they are a godsend.

becky- what oly shoes did you buy? i kinda want the Risto handmade custom ones, but im not sure if the reebok crossfit oly shoes will be better cause i can use them in some WODs...
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been wearing a loaner pair of Reebok Oly shoes. My box has a multiple pairs/sizes for anyone who wants to use them (they are clean). I wanted to try them before committing to purchasing, which I'm set on doing now. The shoes REALLY make a difference. I don't think I will purchase the Reebok's though, as they tend to run a bit narrow on my wide foot. I have done some research, and been advised by my coach as well, that the Nike Romaleos are much better for people with wide feet, so I will likely go with those.