Another New Member :)

Options
TheMrsKKB
TheMrsKKB Posts: 9 Member
Hi there - my name is KK and I have been a member of MFP for a while but just this week started to get serious tracking and loosing weight. I have a moderate wheat allergy (diagnosed in October through a blood test) and have been trying to be GF for a while actually as I had a feeling long before the official diagnosis that my IBS was caused by gluten. Due to my "moderate" allergy i have not always been committed at times, especially when my dad visits from Germany for 6 weeks (I live in AZ) and cooks his delicious food or drinks his German beer (Hefeweizen = WHEAT BEER) where of course I have to join him. However I have been committed now to the GF lifestyle again since I gained 12 lbs in those 6 weeks and began to feel just tired, weak and achy in my joints again. This is the first post for me and I hope I can learn and also help others just starting out. I do not buy a lot of GF foods (like cookies, cake etc.) as I also am trying to eat clean. The only exceptions are GF pasta and the occasional (very rarely) GF pizza from Trader Joe's. I love to cook and have tried many wonderful GF recipes from various sources. Happy Friday Eve!!!

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :) I hear you on not being too committed. I have a mild allergy to chocolate, tomatoes, and onions that I find it hard to take too seriously. Onions I'm fine skipping but not the other two! My symptoms for those are just a bit of a rash which is easy to ignore!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to MFP, only 13 days so far but I have been eating GF for several years. I struggle to eat any of the gf baked goods too. Starting to wonder if I am reacting to the xanthate gum. Does anyone else find avoid gf breads too? Mme
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I've heard of several people who have issues with the gums added to breads and stuff. I don't seem to have any trouble myself.
  • TheMrsKKB
    Options
    Sorry - it's been a while since I've been on here. I don't usually eat prepared GF baked goods unless I bake it myself and I stay away from the XG. Rice Flower, Coconut Flower is my go to.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @TheMrsKKB Hi KK: I loved my local brewery Talking Dog Witbeer. Here's a quote from their website: 'This Belgian style ale is the fruit cocktail of the beer world. Its wonderfully fresh aroma is created from the use of coriander and orange rind placed in the boil. The cloudy appearance is a result of the use of locally grown winter wheat. Enjoy! Great with seafood.'
    Now I drink Estrella Damm Daura - google it and give it a try.
    You might find this interesting: shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-drinks/12-gluten-free-beers-really-do-taste-great
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple of the gf beers listed on that site canadjineh and they were good. It is so nice to be able to have beer.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I do like to have a good beer once in a while - I miss the craft beers I used to drink but DON'T miss what they'd do to me now, lol.
  • TheMrsKKB
    Options
    YES.... I love Estrella Damm Daura!!! I think it's the best GF beer out there (there are other good ones, but love this one) :)
  • canadjineh
    Options
    After all this beer talk, I may have to wander in to my local liquor store and make a purchase, lol. Not exactly on my low carb plan, but hey, I'm in maintenance so once in a while doesn't hurt.
  • TheMrsKKB
    Options
    LOL... sounds like a good plan! moderation is the key right?
    canadjineh wrote: »
    After all this beer talk, I may have to wander in to my local liquor store and make a purchase, lol. Not exactly on my low carb plan, but hey, I'm in maintenance so once in a while doesn't hurt.

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    TheMrsKKB wrote: »
    YES.... I love Estrella Damm Daura!!! I think it's the best GF beer out there (there are other good ones, but love this one) :)

This one is a good 'go-to' but my all-time favourite is Mongozo. Frick, it's so great. We also have a brand called La Messagere and their blonde is okay but they have a berry beer which is nice for a treat. It's a little on the sweet side but for something different it's great.