More reps?

Options
dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Help me out here: do more reps = more muscle? I'm currently doing SL but feel that I need to decrease weight (since i have weak trapz per my chiro) and do more reps, say 5 x 8 x lbs,. I am getting stronger but I don't see much definition. Granted it has only been 14 weeks. Thoughts?

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know many people (including myself), when they can't seem to move up in weight, do move up in reps as a progression, rather than adding the 5 lbs. Doing this should strengthen your muscles so that eventually you can move up in weight.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    more reps doesn't necessarily equal more muscle. Sure, overall volume plays a huge role, but a 5x5 is more than enough to generate muscle fiber adaptation (the return value of doing more is not necessarily worth dropping the weight.) . Different people do answer to different stimulus in, well, different manners, so if it sounds like something you wanna try, then there won't be much harm in doing it. You may want to look into a program that is actually structured for general hypertrophy at that point, though. SL 5x5 and SS are meant for strength as a primery goal (muscles build strength, strength builds muscle, it's a spinning wheel, really)

If you have weak traps, I suggest you look into power cleans (or even just power high pulls or power shrugs if you,re afraid of the catch). They are the holy grail of trap activation, I swear ;)

Definition will come with a mix of training and diet. Some areas don't "define" in the way we want them to, sadly. It,s even harder as women to get definition because we always carry a good amount of fat, y'know? Measurements are where you'll see how your body is changing best.

In the end it all comes down to what you are lifting for. Do something you enjoy, and stick with it, and results will eventually come :)

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation with my neck and shoulders, I've deloaded to 70 in squats and have added reps. In June my shoulders and neck ware so bad that I needed to take the entire month to recover - SO I won't make that mistake again! Until my chiro apts go down to maintenance, I'll remain at the lower weight in squats.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. The error of SL is there's not much in volume, but if you are doing low weight you aren't building strength. Though it really depends on what your goals are.

If you are trying to look more cut, then that's diet. Maybe switch to a more bodybuilding program like ICF or StrongCurves.

If you are stalling out (though you are pretty early on into SL, this is more way later after a number of stalls and not getting past your PRs) and want to lift more, then that's volume work with high weight or switching to like 5/3/1 or something.

You can also reduce to micro plates, so you are progressing not as fast, say go up 2lbs instead of 5. But also be very very sure you are doing form right. Bad form hinders you as well as risky to your body. I think bad form is usually most people's issues with stalling out new into SL.