Metformin, even with a regular period

Options
Hello everyone! I have PCOS, and finally for the first time in years, I get a regular period every month! ( for about the past year or so) I take D Chiro Inositol , exercise, and watch my diet.

The problem is, I have other PCOS symptoms--excess hair, moodiness, and though I'm at a healthy weight, I have to work very very hard to maintain it, more than most people. It's also hard for me to lose weight when I gain a bit.

I asked my doctor about putting me on Metformin for the other symptoms, and she said if I get a regular period, there's no point. Is this true? Does anybody get a period but uses Metformin for other symptoms?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Metformin is an insulin sensitizing drug. Having (or not having) your period is technically irrelevant (though it can help you get it back if you didn't have it...due to increasing your insulin sensitivity and getting things working again).

Are you insulin resistant or have symptoms consistent with insulin resistance? If yes, then it's worth trying Metformin, period.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answer! That's what i thought too.

Yes, I believe I am insulin resistant due my battles with weight for most of my life and having PCOS.

My doctor won't prescribe it though because I already have my period. I guess I should try seeing someone else.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if your doctor hasn't bothered to check if you could be pre-diabetic, I think I'd be looking for a second opinion as well. Good luck!