Best workout DVDs?

Options
catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm currently only 5 weeks pregnant, but I'm looking for inspiration for good workout DVD's as I was doing insanity before and I think that's a bit much now! I'm not into prenatal DVD's or yoga or pilates... I like fun aerobic style workouts and also strength would be a great help too. Who better to ask than a whole group of pregnant women?!!

Thanks,

Cat

Replies

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old now so last summer I was only a couple weeks pregnant. I was doing insanity and p90x when I found out. I kept doing both until the 3rd trimester when getting up and down quickly became more difficult. I modified as needed, didn't let my heart rate get as high, didn't jump as high and used a chair assistance for pull-ups. After I couldn't move as fast I did body beast (mostly weight lifting) and did a work out the day before i went into labor! Listen to your body (and maybe your doctor. I didn't listen to mine, he told me insanity and p90x were too hard but right before that he said to continue doing what I was doing, so I did!) I felt great throughout most of my pregnancy and attribute it to staying in the best shape possible. Good luck!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Most OBs recommend continuing whatever you were doing before, but not starting a new program. With that having been said, if you are moving to a little bit less intense program, I think that would be okay. Women's Health has a pregnancy routine online that includes cardio and strength workouts for each trimester. It's not a DVD, but it is easy enough to follow. Maybe try those?
    Also, maybe try Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred or Body Revolution DVDs?
    Best of luck! :smiley:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    My doctor just said "nothing new" with workouts. So as long as you don't feel like you're doing too mug you should be ok. Ask your doctor for sure though as every situation is different.

My favourite is Summer Sanders Prenatal Workout by Gaiam. It is prenatal, but you can easily make it higher or lower intensity based on how much you put into it and then it has modifications for when you get larger and less flexible. :) I got a prenatal yoga one to but it's kind of a joke... I can do kegals without a guide.
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you're used to a higher intensity workout, Body by Trimester has been my favorite so far. She takes after more of a Jillian Michaels approach (short circuits repeated twice, workouts are about 25 min long.) The other one I like is a bit longer, and really heavy on squats- Pregnancy Sculpt by Andrea Orbeck. Even my husband said, "these pregnant ladies aren't messing around!" after that one- so it's a tough workout by any standard.
  • joysyear
    joysyear Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm currently rotating between two video's which are low impact ( not alot of jumping) Mostly strength training and toning. And there kicking my butt. Perfect Pregnancy Workout Vol 1 Sculpting by Karyne Steben **highly recommend she's a cirque de sole performer. and the second Pilates during prenancy with Niece Pecenka. I bought another one for yoga but I injured my knee ( while doing p90x) so I'm unable to do it yet but it got great reviews from Fit Pregnancy Prenantal Yoga & Pilates by Kristin McGee's ( looks really intense, great workout )
  • jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Babybell kettlebell workout is a great workout. My buns and thighs have been sore for 2 days, & bonus- it doesn't feel that hard while you are doing it.

If you are tired and don't really feel like working out, mamastrong prenatal is a nice 28 min. Toning and stretching workout. It goes by fast and is more relaxed.