HR Steps and Calories Burned - figures seem out

Options
pomegranatemint
pomegranatemint Posts: 37 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Hi there,

I was comparing with my aunt today our stats. I have a fitbit HR and she has an Apple watch and it seems like my stats are quite out.

For today:
My stats for HR - Steps: 2800 Cal burned:1018
My aunts stats Apple watch - Steps: 9180 burned:478 active calories

Yesterday (I only have my HR stats for yesterday):
HR - Steps: 15988 Cal burned:2455

How can my calories burned be so high already today when I was just walking around the house?
Does active calories mean something different on the Apple watch?

Thanks

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    First - unless your gender, age, weight, height all match up - comparing is a useless endeavor.

Does the electric car get as many mpg as that diesel?

Second - your device is giving you total calories burned today so far for living and moving.
    Her device sounds like you viewed the report for calories for only the Active level of activity. What's the burn for the below Active level?

But thanks for comment on Apple watch - other poster in other topic wondered why hubby's watch gave such different workout calorie burn - that's probably it, viewing wrong stats.
  • pomegranatemint
    Options
    Thanks, I assumed the reason hers was different was because hers was for active only, she can't quite figure out yet how to get total calories.

But still looking at my stats only. I have already burnt 1000 total calories today with only 2,800 steps, compared to yesterday where I did 15988 steps and burnt 2455 cals. That seems a bit odd to me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have already burnt 1000 total calories today with only 2,800 steps, compared to yesterday where I did 15988 steps and burnt 2455 cals. That seems a bit odd to me.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. It's based on much more than just steps, including age, sex, height, weight, and exertion.

Today's 1,000 calories are from breathing, digesting, pumping blood, etc. since midnight plus your 2,800 steps.
  • pomegranatemint
    edited July 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Today's 1,000 calories are from breathing, digesting, pumping blood, etc. since midnight plus your 2,800 steps.

But the thing is those stats were not at the end of the day, they were at lunchtime and I hadn't done much at all. Today for example it's not even lunchtime and I have done a fitness session done over 6000 steps (including just normal steps etc) and I have have burnt so far for the day 1000 calories. So I don't know how I could have burned:1018 calories with just over 2000 steps and it wasn't the end of the day?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Because you burn calories whether moving or not, ie, sleeping.

Since Fitbit is a DAILY activity tracker, no activity is still a form of activity that burns calories by your boy - you get credit for it.

That way when you eat less than you burn in total, the reference point is an estimate of burn you burn in TOTAL.

Not just from moving.

Read the FAQ, 2nd half, look at the actual numbers.

If it's the concept of the fact you expend energy whenever your heart beats that you are not familiar with - let us know.