Tips & suggestions for a first time century rider?

Options
2»

Replies

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Just_Ceci and everyone else.

Confidence is getting much stronger. I think the biggest things for me to overcome now is the hydration, which I have 2 bottle cages and a 1.5L hydro pack so with the SAG stops I should be ok on fluids. I would like to hear recommendations for water supplements. Nunn, Skratch. I've never used any of them before. Last few long rides I just drank Gatorade.
    Food, bonking from not enough food intake is probably my biggest concern. I will def need a reminder to eat as I am very far from hungry during my rides and have to force food down my throat.
    I think I will be ok on the distance but riding last week, very close to 50 miles, my left foot started hurting right where the cleat sits and it was far from comfortable. At the time I wanted to pull over and take my shoes off for a few minutes. Once I got home I adjusted it some but I sure hope that doesn't plague me later on.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I have 2 bottle cages. I usually fill one with water and one with some kind of gatorade or such. On longer rides with SAG, I refill one bottle with water and the other with whatever sports drink they have. I have my usual breakfast (either a breakfast taco or a peanut butter sandwich and coffee). I usually carry an energy bar with me just in case, but also grab a piece of fruit, nuts, or half a pbj sandwich if they have them at the SAG stops.

Unclip and wiggle your toes when you think about it. That might help with the foot. Take your shoes off at the rest stops and walk around a little if you want. I have to remind myself to relax my shoulders on longer rides to prevent issues 50 miles in.
  • cccorlew
    cccorlew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Start slow (slow and comfortable for YOU) and don't get excited. You only have so many matches. It will be hard to watch people zoom away from you, but relax and enjoy. If at mile 80 you feel good, that's the time to hammer.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Still chipping away at my concerns. Here recently it's been the hills. However, since last week I have been targeting hills and the strategy to climb them. Last evening we did a ride and hit a very steep hill. I was in my lowest gear creeping up the hill. But instead of cringing, I actually enjoyed it! Now that I know HOW to approach them and pace myself to the top instead of going hard and burning out half way up. 6 weeks to go.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Water is all one needs unless there is a medical necessity (see http://sportsscientists.com/sports-science/fluid-heat-thermoregulation/). Mix carbohydrate for a quick pickup; that the only active ingredient that counts in most sport drinks. I tried Nuun on one century and that was enough. I was dehydrated for the latter half of the ride and drink like a horse for the next two days. Never touch stuff like it when I was racing (some 25 years ago) but my mileage was shorter (60-70 miles tops). Was wondering why I reacted opposite to the advertised virtues when I came across studies cited in the post. Besides being a poor college student back then, we scoff at needing Gatorade and such. Even when I was in the army when we were given the choice only the lazy ones drink them and call it quits after 30-60 minutes. Imagine working in 110+ deg F and wearing EPA level C type protection that consist of 3-6mm butyl rubber thick apron, gloves, and gas mask over heavy cotton jumpsuit for four to six hours. Mask was on about half that time (ambient air not SCBA like the fireman uses). Fun times.
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I like Nuun!! Don't pass rest stops unless you are an animal!!
  • m1xm0d3
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Still clocking the miles. This past weekend I rode 40 miles with a group @ 18.5 mph avg. Then yesterday evening I went out alone for 51 miles. Consumed a banana before leaving, and took with me a bottle of gatorade and a cliff bar along with plenty of water. I took 3 small 5 minute breaks to drink and eat part of a snack. The 51 miles I finished much stronger than my previous 50+ from a week or so ago. My 10 mile splits showed a surge on the last 10 miles which is awesome. Still had fuel in the tank but it was far too close to dusk when I finished up. And afterwards, my left foot wasn't as sore as before. Progress!

However, my ride in to work this morning was sooo slow. Low energy. There was a headwind but I swear it felt like my brakes were dragging! lol
  • m1xm0d3
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The ride is complete. I did 104 miles in 6:04 riding time so just over 17mph avg and 3,400 feet of climbing. Almost all solo miles too. Other riders were either faster or slower than me so no drafting. Being a supported ride really helped as 4 rest stops along the way had all the provisions one would need to keep energy levels up. The worst part about it was starting in the midst of a thunderstorm. For the first 15 miles, hard wind driven rain. It was terrible! But once it cleared, it made the rest of the ride much better by comparison. Ate the house down afterwards. Even went for a 26 mile ride yesterday and felt strong. Little soreness. Same for the commute to work this morning. Looking forward to the next one in October!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Congrats; nice recap too. How was the saddle issue?
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Congrats; nice recap too. How was the saddle issue?

Tolerable... I tried a new saddle last week and it was too firm so I went back to my old one, lubed up good with butt'r before the stop then with antibiotic ointment at each rest stop. Still some rubbing in the one particular spot but for 104 miles it wasn't bad at all.

I know you've seen it, Joe. But here is the ride recording for others if they want to see.

https://www.strava.com/activities/390805591

Anyone else having trouble with Strava app not auto-pausing? It's set to ON but still will not pause when stopped.