6 Months out

Options
JenPage10
JenPage10 Posts: 6 Member
Hello all! I don't think I have ever posted in here. So heres a little introduction. I'm 31 years old, I had VSG 1/22/15 so I'm 6 months out Wednesday. My highest weight was 292 in Jan 2014 after the birth of my youngest daughter. My starting weight with the surgeon was 267.2 and I was 187 today. I should be thrilled but for some reason I'm not. I feel my weight loss has stalled since May. I had an iron infusion in May due to horrible periods. They also started me on birth control patch to see if that would help. It hasn't really helped and I think it has stalled my weight loss. I'm working with personal trainer 2 days a week and she wants me doing low impact cardio 2-3 days a week for 20-30 mins. I can't eat more than 1,000 calories a day. My concern is she wants to up my carbs and eating her meal plan i'm getting 80-100 carbs a day but I still can't get over 1k in calories. Do I give it a month and see how it goes or say something? I'm not the expert in this, she is....

Anyone worked with a personal trainer? Also I'm 5'3 at 187, BMI charts put my highest healthy weight at 143 but I've never been that small?

Replies

• TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Has your trainer any experience with WLS patients?
  • JenPage10
    JenPage10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, the owner works with several currently.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You asked for opinions- here is mine. More carbs is rarely the answer-- but I am VERY biased because I adhere to a high fat, moderate protein, low carb (50g or less per day) regimen. When you say you "can't" eat more than 1000 cals per day- is that because of your nutritionist's restriction or because you are physically unable to do it?

By my calculations, you have lost 10 pounds per month-- which is AWESOME. You said you "feel" your weight loss has stalled since May-- but HAS it stalled? What did you weigh in May and what do you weigh now?
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You have lost quite quickly and have started working out. Your body needs time to adjust sometimes and starting on an exercise plan can cause your body to hang on to more water (not fat). I wouldn't worry too much about the stall, it will move again. I think 80-100g of carbs is about right. You may even see the scale go up a tad temporarily as carbs will also hold onto water. I am 184lbs and about 7 months out. I do weights 3x/week with a cardio warm up and cardio 1x/week plus walking. My goal is 1344 cals a day and I could surely eat more. I am still losing and my body is making more changes than the scale. Your body needs carbs. Best to eat the majority of your carbs pre and post workout. Your body will use them most efficiently then.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welcome. One of the reasons I weigh and log my weight regularly is so when I start feeling discouraged, I can just look at my graph. I also recommend doing monthly measurements as that will help show body changes when your loss pauses or slows down. You've lost 80lbs in 6 months, and that doesn't sound like a slow loss to me at all. Yes, you've still got a ways to go, but you're far healthier now than you were then, and I suspect you are still losing. Not every day, and possibly not at a rate of 10lb+ per month, but a loss is a loss. Hang in there, and keep doing what you're doing.
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sinderstorm, I do monthly measurements that I keep on an app on my phone. My weight loss at almost 7 months is slower now than the first six months so taking measurements reminds me I'm still losing even if scale doesn't reflect it. I also take full length and side shots monthly too to document my progress. I keep my calories at 1400 now. The first five months I was at about 900-1000. I keep my protein grams at 80-100/day. I try to keep my carbs under 40g a day.