What's your favorite system for carrying water on long runs?

Options
chriscm70
chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
I'm training for a full marathon and I'm starting to look around at belts and/or packs for carrying water.
I don't plan on carrying any during the actual race because there are water stops every 2 miles, but I'm going to need some for longer training runs pretty soon. I'd like to be able to do some long runs out in the country or on trails where I won't have access to any extra.
It looks like there's a pretty wide variety of stuff out there. I'm leaning toward a fuel-belt style with 4 smallish bottles (32-40 oz total), something like the Nathan Speed 4R, but I haven't been to the store yet to try them on.
What do you like/use?
Thanks!
Chris

Replies

• Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For long summer runs I use a belt with two little bottles, and try to run a path that eventually hits a water fountain for refills.

I couldn't imagine running with much more than that, sometimes I see people with like 6 giant bottles attached to their belt. I don't get it.
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I run with a fuel belt as well. I don't like having things in my hands when I'm running (I punched myself pretty hard in the face when I was trying to wipe sweat off my brow once).

I like the fuel belt that holds the 4 little water bottles. I am a camel though, but for marathon training in the summer, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt with 2 bottles....wish I got the one with 3 or 4. It's just not enough on a long run here in the summer.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt with 2 bottles. I do not like it because the bottles are made of the cheapest plastic possible. I tried the hand held bottles but the hand wrap was uncomfortable. I keep hearing good things about the camelback type setups but they look like a massive amount of chafing waiting to happen.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Amphipod RunLite 2 - I hardly know it's there. I also tend to run very early, so 2 bottles is plenty, so far.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I like the Nathan Fusion system. I bought three 8-oz bottles with it as well as a pouch for my phone. I don't run far enough yet to need another bottle but it's nice to know I can easily add one when needed.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I run with an Amphipod water bottle. It's 12oz only but I do my long runs in Central Park so I can refill it as I go. I cannot hold in my hand anything heavier than that. I wanted to try a fuel belt but belts usually end up around my waist rather than staying on my hips, so I'm afraid it's going to feel unconfortable. Anyway, I'd never use a fuel belt with more than two water bottles on it! Oh, and I have friends who used race vests with a bladder in them-they suggested me not to buy one since after a while the water starts tasting disgusting and, no matter how well you wash the bladder, the water will still keep tasting disgusting!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like to plant water bottles on my route so it will be more like the race. You can run past your starting point a few times to avoid excessive preparation time.
  • CdnMarathonGirl
    CdnMarathonGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 2-bottle and 4-bottle belts that I use depending on distance. 1/2 of bottles water, 1/2 eload. For really long runs I use a camelbak.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a 4-small bottle belt. However, I only run with 2 bottles in it.

If I have all 4 on the belt they are positioned so two end up at my sides and get in the way of my arms. The other problem I have is that the pouches the bottles slide into are not solid - just wide elastic straps - so if I bump them, they fall through.

I am only up to 8 mile 'long' runs, so the 2 small bottle work fine for me right now.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a full marathon and I'm starting to look around at belts and/or packs for carrying water.
    I don't plan on carrying any during the actual race because there are water stops every 2 miles, but I'm going to need some for longer training runs pretty soon. I'd like to be able to do some long runs out in the country or on trails where I won't have access to any extra.
    It looks like there's a pretty wide variety of stuff out there. I'm leaning toward a fuel-belt style with 4 smallish bottles (32-40 oz total), something like the Nathan Speed 4R, but I haven't been to the store yet to try them on.
    What do you like/use?
    Thanks!
    Chris

Congrats on the weight loss!

I use a Nathan 4R for medium runs when it's warm (6-12 miles or so) and the Endurance Vest for longer runs or when it's really hot.

I have a large Nathan 4R that I don't use any longer is someone cares to make me a decent offer for it.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run with a fuel belt as well. I don't like having things in my hands when I'm running (I punched myself pretty hard in the face when I was trying to wipe sweat off my brow once).

I like the fuel belt that holds the 4 little water bottles. I am a camel though, but for marathon training in the summer, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    I asked the pirate why he wore an eye patch - "Got some sand in me eye the day after I got me hook..."

For runs 10 miles and under, I have been carrying clementine sections in an open sandwich bag in my pocket (running shorts are loose enough so it doesn't get crushed). I have one of those little back packs with the tube that I have mixed feelings about. It does rub and make me sweat.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few things and here is what worked and didn't work for me personally:

I'll start off by saying currently I have a water belt with two 10 oz bottles and one pouch large enough for my phone or gel packs. The one I am using now is the ironman brand and I love it.

with that said I have also tried running with hand held devices and for me personally I hate it I don't like holding things in my hands when I run, in fact I even switched to a hands free leash system too to avoid holding a dog leash when I run with my pups!

I have also tried using a camelback system - it looked like such a good idea! I knew I didn't want a backpack because I have always hated running with a backpack bumping and moving around on my back - so I went with a camelpack belt - basically it looks like a backwards fanny pack - but less 80's and more outdoorsy any how I didn't mind it too much except that because it holds a litter it is heavier and I can feel the water slosh around more and my biggest pet peeve is that there is a much larger area of the pack (due to the bladder) and that causes me to sweat right were the contact area is on the pack and basically it becomes uncomfortable and it bounces around a lot.

The two 10 oz bottles work well for me for up to about eight to ten miles or so but since I am going to be increasing my runs longer than that for the upcoming marathon I am looking into getting a 4 bottle belt my self and was thinking about getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Trail-Hydration-Belt-Grey/dp/B009KRR8W2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3OX14VLQG2RLO&coliid=I3UNCG4AK51EG&psc=1

hope that helps!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like to let my running partner carry water for both of us in her pack, not only do we get to hydrate but it makes her feel like she has a special job to do. Haley, the 75 pound German Shepherd, never fails to amaze me with what she is capable of. We only carry water if we are going over 8 miles or so.....
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think that I'm the only one here who prefers to use a camelbak hydration bag? lol It's works pretty good for me and I can carry a few little things too...
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think that I'm the only one here who prefers to use a camelbak hydration bag? lol It's works pretty good for me and I can carry a few little things too...

I have a camelbak, but I haven't tried it yet. Longest run I've done so far is 13.1 miles and I never felt the need to hydrate during a run (I know this will change come my marathon, so I need to learn quick).
  • samanthlou
    samanthlou Posts: 12
    Options
    I recently started using a 10oz Nathan handheld bottle and I'm pretty thrilled with it. It's got a strap so it's really like I'm not holding anything (I hate running with things in my hand, which is why I've just now gotten around to using one). I also have a Camelbak backpack which I love, but I try to hold off as long into the summer as I can before I bust it out.

Also, my friends and I take turns dropping water along our route on long run day - that's been very helpful.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I have a camelbak, but I haven't tried it yet. Longest run I've done so far is 13.1 miles and I never felt the need to hydrate during a run (I know this will change come my marathon, so I need to learn quick).
    [/quote]

Every race over 10 miles I usually use the camelbak... It doesn't bother me at all, the only thing that I fell are the traps but don't disturb my running yet ..
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Love my 2 bottle Fuel Belt
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Fuel belt for runs between 10 and 15mi, Salomon advanced skin s-lab 5 set pack for 15-30+mi. GREAT thing about the Salomon is that it is a fantastic size for smaller women; in fact, it looks kinda funny on big guys. No bouncing around at all (I'm 5'3" 117, small frame, bought the xs/s.) It comes with a 1.5L bladder and two front pockets that can hold water bottles (or other stuff) as well. Side zip pockets are good for gels, there is an attached small front pocket, as well as a detachable velcro pocket (I use it as my "medicine cabinet"- s-caps, super glue, duct tape, ibuprofen, immodium, neosporin, band-aids....)

EDIT: That's the pack in my profile photo ;-)