Lifting on consecutive days

Options
siobhsies
siobhsies Posts: 30 Member
Hi guys! I am a newbie! I started last Friday and I am so addicted already!!

I am due to work out Thursday and Saturday but a friend of mine who is a PT wants me to "workout with him" in the gym on Saturday now that I am lifting and I agreed but I don't think he will want to stick to the stronglifts program. I was thinking of going along with him and just doing whatever he advises on Saturday (more of a catch up in the gym) and then doing the Stronglifts program on Sunday.

Does anybody think this is a good idea?! I don't want to give it a half attempt on Saturday but I am worried about tiring myself out for doing Stronglifts on Sunday.

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bad idea...setting yourself up for injury and fatigue among other things... basically your muscles grow & heal on your days OFF... you NEED rest days....lifting on consecutive days is just BAD... unless you dont do compound exercises like stronglifts... if you do one muscle group on certain days then other muscle groups on opposite days then its OK...
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It really depends. You could do some cardio-based stuff on Saturdays like interval training for endurance purposes and so on, and that would be completely fine, as long as it's not heavy lifting aimed towards strength gains, because your muscles and nervous system do need that 48 hour period to adapt to the stressors you put on them during your heavy lifting sessions, so that you can continue to progress.

So if you want to do some plyometrics and light dumbbell work and interval training and accessory lifting and so forth, have at it. That's not gonna hurt your barbell lifting any, especially if you're young and your body bounces back much faster and adapts much quicker than with us older folks. :smile:
  • siobhsies
    siobhsies Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I am now thinking I should do the Stronglifts workout Saturday morning before I meet him. That way I will have it done and then I can just mess around and do a few bits.