Recovery: Sleep + Nutrition

Options
noel2fit
noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
I want to know what works for you! How much do you sleep? How much do you eat? What do you recommend new people do or what does your box recommend? I'm scouring the internet for resources, but I'd like to hear from real cross fitters too please.

I'm new to cross fit and I have to say, I'm EXHAUSTED and RAVENOUS every day! My usual 7 hours of sleep feels like sleep deprivation this week. Also I usually try to eat clean but allow something junky every day as a treat, but it's getting to a point where I'm wanting to binge junk and never feel like I'm getting enough food. Should I eat outrageous amounts of eggs for breakfast instead of 2? Have double or triple chicken breasts for dinner to keep out of the ice-cream? Do you guys count calories or worry more about macros and eating clean?

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do the 5.45am class so I'm usually in bed by 9.30. I neeeed my sleep. I don't count macros but I do try to adhere to the 80/20 rule. If your hungry, then eat. Add a protein shake, eat nuts, banana - healthful & sustaining food. Before Crossfit I did the whole 1200 cals and running my *kitten* off - I could never sustain that diet now doing Crossfit, I wouldn't be able to lift the weights if I did.
    If your tired, get more sleep or have an extra rest day between work out days.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I count macros and weigh/measure my food, I eat about 2000 cals a day. For me it’s worth it, science doesn’t lie, I feel better, perform better and have a healthier relationship with food because I eat mostly clean but fit treats in frequently as long as they fit within my macros. I have been working with a nutrition coach and slowly lost 10 lbs and am now slowly increasing calories again. All of my lifts went up despite weighing less, but gymnastics skills are so much easier!

I did strict paleo and my body just doesn’t do well on high fat low carbs. I also am religious about taking fish oil and magnesium and for me they totally make a difference. I try and make sleep a priority as well, at least 7 hours a night! I’m not a fun person to be around otherwise :smile:

Ultimately everyone is different, some people do great on strict paleo, but I think it’s about figuring out what works for you!
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have to get 7-9 hours per night, and really needs to be at least 8. This is sometimes hard with a 3.5yo, highly spirited daughter, but I am pretty adamant about it. I get migraines if I get dehydrated or too tired, so it keeps me motivated to put the book down and go to bed. :-)

I do Eat to Perform and count my macros. I could only really handle about 2 months of leaning before I became ravenous (by leaning, I mean hitting my normal macros on workout days 4x a week and cutting back 50-75g of carbs on rest days 3x a week). So, for the past 2 months I've been just worrying about hitting my protein macros and not going over my carbs too horrendously. I've put back on some of the weight I've lost, but that's kind of the point of it. I'm in build/maintenance mode right now and will do this another month or so, and then lean for another 2 months. So, it's like 3 steps forward, 2 steps back...which works out in my favor in the end. haha! I will say that I'm not really a clean eater or anything. I eat whatever I want. I mostly make "good" choices in lean meats, etc., but I can't lie. I work long, hard, intellectually demanding days, work out constantly and am raising the most high-spirited child known to mankind. Thus, I kind of do what I want. lol
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started cross fit in February and know exactly how you feel!! It is still kicking my butt every week and I'm so tired and sore every day... I did figure out that I can only go 2 days and then need a rest day... so now I'm only going 4 times a week b/c my body needs the rest... I'm slowly trying to incorporate another day to try to build up to 5 days a week... I've been told it just takes a while to get your body used to these workouts etc....
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Our gym really pushes the Paleo Zone diet. I count calories too, but mainly because I'm a calorie counting addict. We try to stick to it pretty closely and it definitely makes a difference in my performance and recovery. I've also found that when I don't take Omega 3's consistently I don't perform as well.....that might be a coincidence or a mental thing, but I'm sticking with it ;) I usually make it to four classes a week. I might run on an off day just because I suck at running and I need to get better. Sleep...ugh, I have issues sleeping. I work best on 7-8 hours of sleep, but usually only get 5-6.....

@alysa521 - What's the magnesium for (hope that's not too stupid of a question!!)??
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @jonisteenhoek I take purepharma M3 which is magnesium and zinc to help with recovery and sleep. I take it 30 min before bed and I notice I fall asleep much faster and stay asleep.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I so empathize! I started in January. I do 6 am classes because it is the only morning option at my gym, and I don't feel like I have gotten enough sleep unless I am in bed before 9 pm, which is pretty hard. I try to sleep late at least once on the weekend. I have always been very active but this wears me out in a different way and I need 8 hours. 9 feels even better! Recently on vacation I mostly hiked and biked and noticed I woke up naturally refreshed after 6 or 7 hours of sleep. I'll probably do 6 pm classes once hot summer is over, just so I can sleep more.

I have to count cals or I would eat 3000 a day. I'm trying to cut a bit more fat by staying under 2000- I maintain at about 2300. I was doing high-fat low carb but feel better since I have increased protein and carbs a bit. I'm also type-I diabetic which adds a whole new level of fun.

If you are really hungry, you may want to eat more! And if you are super-exhausted, go to fewer classes and figure out how to get more sleep. Easier said than done- I want to go to class EVERY DAY and have to really work on rest and balance. Love this thread!
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started in March but havn't seen much of a change in my sleep needs, I get between 7 and 8. What I have noticed is that on days I do the early am WOD I am starving all day! If I do an evening one I'm not bad.