On "rest" days

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
I haven't started the program yet, waiting to get cleared from PT on my shoulder. But I am curious what do you do on a rest days? Do you still do some kind of cardio or other type of exercise?

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I rest. However, lifting is my main activity and I dislike cardio.

I used to do yoga on my rest days (well, everyday) but I jacked my back doing yoga so I'm undecided if I'll start again or not. I used to also do brazillian jiujitsu on off days but I quit that due to various reasons. I might work on my grip (hangs) on my rest days, but nothing intensive.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I run on off days from lifting because I enjoy it.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I used to run on rest days....then the weights got heavier and I needed more rest on rest days lol
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 10k, so 2 of my non-lifting days are runs and on one lifting day I run (today as it's always just 2 miles and easy to do one in morning and one in evening). Monday I'm supposed to "cross train" but I haven't figured out anything, though I should do the crunches and stretches the PT recommended who said I needed to do more isolation on my lower back. On Wednesday, I just work, no exercise.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm a bike commuter, so if it's a work day i do the bike ride. if it's the weekend, i probably sleep and read books and do a few air squats.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I swim every day and I plan to keep that up. Having said that, I feel like I got hit by a truck today and I might have to reconsider that aim if it turns out I need more rest.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It varies for me.

Right now, I'm hating running, so I'm just walking. (I normally would run a 5k or so on my rest days, but the heat has really thrown a wrench in my running this year.)

I recently started road biking, so I sometimes do that on my rest days.

Sometimes I swim, if I get to the pool.

If I don't feel like doing any of that, then I rest. Also, if I've had a tough lifting workout or know my next lifting workout is going to be tough, I'll go ahead and rest to give my body time to recover.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I walk on my rest days. If the weather isn't cooperating, I don't stress about it and just take a full rest day. If I can get to a pool, I'll swim.

I used to try to do HIIT or circuits for 30 mins on my rest days, but I found it got in the way of my next strength work out. I either couldn't put more weight on the bar or found I was unable to lift the same weights I did the last session. Since I am more focused on making strength gains, I decided to drop the extra exercise on rest days.

I do morning yoga every day for 15-30 mins depending on how much time I have but even finding a yoga routine that wasn't a lot of yoga 'strength' training (leg & core exercises for me) was somewhat difficult. I'm more interested in the stretching, flexibility and mental benefits of yoga.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I swim on rest days.